#21 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Tactical segment

Played in silence - it was a long mission. Screenshots to be put in tomorrow. I might actually split this into two separate posts.

My original turns 1 - 10 were lost when the game crashed. I had to restart it but I do have the original transcript if anyone wants it.

Turn 1

tactical_000.png

The Coelacanth opens the door and spots a Gillman by the stairs on the corrugated iron hut directly outside. The tank fires twice and the second solid bolt hits. Colette sees a Gillman on the brick hut. She kneels and opens fire, but the shot misses. All four of the aquanauts arm grenades and end the turn.  

From the noises, it's deduced that two civilians are killed and a Deep One attempts to attack something ineffectively.

Turn 2

The Coelacanth rides out and spots two snipers on top of two buildings beyond, a Gillman and a Deep One. Henri starts to walk after the Coelacanth, and spies three aliens right outside, two Gillmen and a Deep One. With so many aliens at hand, the team's glad everyone took the time to arm their grenades.

tactical_004.png tactical_005.png tactical_006.png tactical_008.png

Henri takes the farthest Gillman

Rodreigo takes the two in the chain link enclosure

Colette aims her Blasta Rifle and kills the nearby sniper.

Leon throws a grenade at the Deep One

Everyone and the Coelacanth file back into the Triton and wait for the fireworks.

They are pretty.

After the succession of explosions, a Deep One is heard killing a civilian.

tactical_009.png

Turn 3

tactical_010.png

The Coelacanth runs out to have a look along the Triton's blind side and spots a Deep One standing next to a toll booth and a Gillman hiding in a factory to the south. Leon Guerin attempts to throw a Pulser at the Gillman but the pulser flies too far and hits the wrong wall. We'll have to reattempt an attack on this Gillman later as there's no clear shot at it.

Bernard Gaudin, having two armed sonic pulsers, hands one to the other Leon, Leon Lefevre. Leon Lefevre takes the pulser outside the Triton and tries to throw it over the ship at the Deep One. He's not able to. He's too close to the sub. Feeling a bit stupid, he walks further out to get a better angle. It's not quite on target, but it's close enough. Both Leons scuttle back into the sub for cover. Colette arms a pulser and the Coelacanth backs up so that it's not in clear sight of the Gillman in the factory once the grenade goes off.

tactical_012.png

The toll booth has its side blasted open and is pasted with Deep One bits. A chunk is blown out of side of the factory with the second pulser explosion.

Turn 4

There's a lot of useless shuffling around in the Triton. Colette steps outside and throws a pulser into the new doorway in the side of the factory.

tactical_013.png

Meanwhile something interesting the Coelacanth finds. The man with the funny name and insists on calling himself by 3 letter initials steps out, orders the area to be cleared... and gasses thin air. He was trying to aim for the filing cabinet - but the shot detonates half way to its mark, though doesn't seem to have been obstructed by anything. Crestfallen, he marches back into the sub and lets Bernard Gaudin finish the job with a Sonic Pulser.  The Coelacanth moves further back.

tactical_015.png

Colette's target seems to have wandered too far, but Bernard's grenade wipes out the filing cabinet Jose (NKF) wanted to blow up - and apparently the rest of the building too.

Turn 5

With so many dustclouds and one Gillman unacounted for, the Coelacanth surges ahead.

tactical_017.png

Some brilliant Gillman decides to fire a Shok bomb at the Coelacanth.

Turn 6

tactical_018.png

The Coelacanth ignores it and goes to check the burning corner of the factory.

tactical_019.png

Jose (NKF) turns his attention on the Shok Launcher bearer and lucks out again, hitting what seems like an invisible fence, where the chain link fence used to be. A second shot just flies off into the ether. Leon Guerin pelts at it with his Gauss Pistol to no effect. Colette steps in and a single aimed shot with the Blasta Rifle puts the Gillman out of its misery. These new weapons are turning out to be very valuable.

The Gillman inside the factory is seen wandering near the rails. From the brief glance the Coelacanth got, it appears unarmed. (in other words it's probably got Pulsers)

Turn 7

The Coelacanth moves in for a better look but has no room to fire at the Gillman inside the factory. It backs out. Other Aquanauts try to fire from their positions outside the Triton, but even though they appear to have a clear line of fire all the way, something's blocking them. Instead they fan out and the turn is ended.

A Gillman squad leader is reported to have started panicking.

Turn 8

tactical_022.png

The Coelacanth drives down the road along the factory and spots a Gillman at an upper level window. It could be the same one it spotted near the tracks. Better safe than sorry, the tank backs up into the dust cloud just behind it.

Leon Lefevre climbs the corrugated iron hut to get a sniper's point and spots the head of a Gillman on the other side behind the yellow rubbish skip. He kneels down while Bernard Gaudin throws his Pulser behind it.

tactical_023.png

Miraculously, though half the skip is blown off, the Gillman survives the attack.

The Gillman in the upper level of the factory moves away from the window.

Turn 9

tactical_025.png tactical_026.png

Leon Lefevre stands up, and though he cannot get a visual, he has located the injured Glilman and another alien in the distance. Bernard isn't strong enough to throw that far, so he tosses it to Jose (NKF). Frustrated at not having hit anything so far, he throws the pulser with all his might and it lands between the two hidden aliens.

tactical_027.png

The Coelacanth fires twice on the alien in the upper window. The first shot flies through the window and hits, but the Gillman remains standing. The second shot flies past the window and blows a hole through the bricks.

Jose (NKF)'s bad streak strikes again - the grenade explodes. It hits lots of stuff, but doesn't harm either alien.

A Gillman, presumably the one the Coelacanth hit, runs around in circles inside the factory.

Another Gillman Squad Leader is reported to have panicked.

Turn 10

tactical_028.png

Bernard spots a Deep One on the building on the other side of the Triton. Jose (NKF) walks away from the Triton to get a better angle at at it but misses. Leon Guerin arms his last Pulser and hands it to Micheline. Micheline lobs the grenade near the Deep One's feet.

tactical_030.png

Meanwhile, back on the rooftop, Leon Leferve can see the two aliens he saw on the last turn. They haven't moved, and don't appear to have seen him. He arms a Magna-Blast grenade and throws it at the furthest alien.

Not being able to see where the grenade has landed, he panics and runs off the side of the shack and falls next to Jose (NKF), who is so put off he doesn't say anything. "Glad you could drop in." Leon mimes as the turn ends.  

Leon's grenade hit its mark, but doesn't do anything. "Time we phase out the Magna-Blasts?" Leon says to Jose(NKF)

Michelin's grenade on the other hand sends the Deep One and the roof to the moon.

The Gillman the Coelacanth has been stalking gets brave and throws a Sonic Pulser directly at the Coelacanth, with Bernard standing right beside it.

A Gillman Technician purportedly panics.

tactical_031.png

When the dreaded Pulser explodes - it blows up the roof of the nearby toll booth, which doesn't take a single scratch! Bernard lets off a huge sigh of relief. That was some wild throw!  

Turn 11

tactical_032.png

The Coelacanth drives in the factory and attempts an extremely tricky shot. It succeeds but only stuns the Gillman.

Jose (NKF) climbs the stairs and takes a shot at the aliens Leon Lefevre threw his Magna-Blast grenade at earlier.

It misses. He's really jinxed. He ends the turn.

Just as he starts to think "I think I should get a desk job...", he gets pinned in the back and is "critically wounded", putting him out of the battle.

Bernard, who was protecting the Coelacanth is shot in the back as well.

Turn 12

tactical_034.png

Colette climbs the stairs and finds the Gillman that shot her two comrades in the back. She spies another one in the darkness, but it's too far to get.

tactical_035.png

Leon Guerin pulls out his Magna-Pack explosive and arms it. He hands it over to Henri Gautier, who is the strongest aquanaut in the team. He runs out of the Triton with the ticking bomb and throws it a bit far into a pile of old tires behind the Gillman.

Leon Lefevre goes back up the corrugated iron hut, and notices one of his quarries has moved away. Or is it another target?

The demolitions charge does its thing and wipes out the Gillman and the whole side of the building.

Turn 13

Leon Lefevre gets up and spots both his original quarry. He launches a three round Gauss Rifle burst at the nearest one over the side of the building and clips it in the back of the head with the second round. The Gillman falls.

tactical_037.png tactical_038.png

Micheline tries to attack Leon's second target, but her GC-HE clips something nearby and it detonates in her face, killing her instantly and giving Henri a very bad bleeding wound on his rump. He kneels, spins around and launches a snapshot with his Blasta Rifle and kills the Deep One Micheline was trying to attack.

Unfortuantely with a wounded aquanaut, we now have a limit of 23 turns to complete the mission or else he will die.

The incumbent Jose (NKF) raises a wobbly hand and says "Medikits. We should bring up Medikits at the next boardroom meeting." and goes unconscious again.

Before the turn ends, the Coelacanth is sent to check the alien in the building next to the Triton. Colette walks around the corrugated iron hut to get a better look at the land beyond.

Turn 14

Not a lot is done except some scouting.

A civilian is killed in plain sight, but with all the little brick buildings looking the same it's hard to tell which one it was.

Turn 15

Our munitions man Leon Guerin is killed with a reaction shot in the back to the head from the alien that the Coelacanth is trying to locate.

tactical_039.png

Leon Lefevre avenges his friend with a 6 round burst, the fifth shot connecting and killing the Gillman.

This unfortunately leaves Leon without time units, and Leon Guerin apparently had one remaining Magna-Blast grenade that I don't ever remember getting him to prime. It explodes beside Leon and he is badly hurt. This hastens the overall time limit to complete this mission.

Turn 16

Frantically the team spreads out looking for the last remaining alien survivors.

Turn 17

The Coelacanth catches a glimpse of the Gillman it was stalking in the factory by the upper window. It must have woken up. Two solid bolt rounds are fired but nothing connects. Henri is behind the Coelacanth and takes a shot, but misses. No one else can get an aim, so the turn is ended.

Turn 18
Henri fires with all his might, but his wooziness makes his shots fire wild. The Coelacanth drives closer, fires and misses.

Turn 19

An opportunistic reaction shot catches Colette in the side as she walks past a corner and she dies instantly.

tactical_041.png

The badly wounded Leon jumps down to find the assailant but doesn't get very far, and all that can be done is end the turn.

The alien that killed Colette throws a grenade near her body and destroys it instantly.

Turn 20

tactical_042.png

The Coelacanth gets close to the window and takes down the Gillman in one shot. Turns out there was a second (unarmed) Gillman in the factory.

tactical_043.png

With not a lot left to lose, Leon runs into the destroyed building to find Colette's murderer. He reaches the double-doors and finds the Gillman, but can't do anything. Henri does not have line of sight so cannot attack it. Instead he moves away from the Coelacanth and seeks to get a better shot. The turn ends.

Turn 21

tactical_044.png

Time ticking down further, Leon bursts through the doors of the building and sees two Deep Ones by the pier. Henri, having found an elevated position, kills one Deep One, Leon takes down the other with a Gauss rifle burst . The only problem now is that Gill Man that's still at large.

At the end of the turn a Deep One comes out of nowhere from the fenced off storage dump beside the Coelacanth and and launches a flurry of attacks on it. Thankfully no damage is done.

Just how many more are there?

Turn 22

tactical_045.png

The Coelacanth finishes off the Deep One with one well placed shot.

Leon's had it. His last turn ends and he dies from fatal wounds.

Turn 23

The Coelacanth finds the Gillman - it was hiding behind some boxes in the pier.

Henri, the last standing aquanaut out in the field (we've still got ol' Rodreigo guarding the Triton), arms a Magna-Blast and throws it over the fence.

The Magna Blast only harms the Gillman. It rearms its Sonic cannon and hits the Coelacanth.

Turn 24

tactical_046.png

Damaged, but still functional, the Coelacanth performs a combined assault with Henri. Henri throws another Magna Blast over, and the Coelacanth opens fire. The last Gillman falls and (unfortunately) the mission ends with a bang that destroys its corpse.

geoscape_000.png

Despite a loss of 6 aquanauts and one badly wounded, the Fort Severn port mission was a technical success, with a grand total of 367 points and a Good Rating.

Here's the file for whoever takes the next turn: Attached File  GAME_1.zip   19.43K   147 downloads

Note: We lost some of our equipment in the process. I've very certain we've lost both Gas Cannons and at least one Gauss Pistol.  Just be mindful to check the Triton's armament before the next mission!

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#22 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

Was unable to load the save in DOSBox, using either the patched or unpatched versions of the game, so I had to resort to CE. That means no video recording, and since my monitor is an LCD which can't handle the game's resolution without use of DOSBox, the top/bottom of the game display was hidden from me. Not like I don't know the interface better then my own reflection, so no real harm there.

I start off to find one soldier, Rodreigo, assigned to the Triton, both Barracudas in the repair bay. As soon as he arrives back at base I immediately pass him and Henri the two suits of aqua armour sitting in the stores. I'd've thought Hen happy to finally get protection but instead he suddenly looked tearful and muttered something about how no jury would ever convict him...  ;)

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_01.png

The workshop looked a bit empty so I ordered another ten engineers and started to build another workshop as well. I considered building another lab and a further set of living quarters, but although our funds are reasonable, I thought I'd wait just a little longer.

Sold a few corpses, decided to leave most of the weapons and junk sitting in the stores. For now we've got both room and money, and they can be instantly liquidated later should the need arise. Best to keep them for now in case we suddenly find an actual use for it all. Ordered another gas cannon and HWP.

I'm a bit mystified as to why we have so many gauss rifles. A dozen I can understand - we'd want to be able to quickly restock if a mission wipes - but three dozen? Ah well, it'd probably make more sense if I could be bothered to count up all the troopers we've got.

Diverted research away from the Ion Beam Accelerators. Sure, Ion Armour would be nice to have, but I doubt we'll want to make heaps of it. Likewise, I deem improved craft weapons to be more important then improved craft. Polished off medkits and started work on the Sonic Cannons.

The first UFO to arrive went unopposed, my attack craft refuelling and rearming, respectively. It buzzed around a bit but didn't land. The second, a small craft, met a DUP and in due course the Triton was sent over to pick up the pieces. By now, I had ten troops in armour with medkits, plus one of the HWPs.

More gillmen as it turns out. First kill to Miguel. Didn't I get a "Miguel" killed last turn? Ah, how time flies...

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_02.png

Didn't take long to find the enemy sub.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_03.png

Guido shot and killed an alien the HWP entirely failed to see. Those things aren't very good at peaking over obstructions, such as the nose of the Triton. He later shot the HWP about four times while trying to hit some other alien, but he entirely failed to damage it. The alien got a few hits in but only managed some superficial scratches on the paint job.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_04.png

I planted a couple of units in front of the alien sub, and to my annoyance they opened the door during their turn and started shooting. Luckily they entirely failed to do anything.

tftdmulti_bb_turn02_05.png

Rodreigo (no, not that Rodreigo) took one out but fell to reaction fire. Miguel (yes, that Miguel) avenged him from long range. That left Annette at the craft, feeling lucky I'd never given in to the urge to have her blast away at point blank range with her explosive rounds.

The last alien took some pot shots at my tank then ran away, leaving him entirely open for a shot up the rear from Rodreigo (... yes, that Rodreigo). He fell unconscious and that was that.
tftdmulti_bb_turn02_06.png tftdmulti_bb_turn02_07.png g]

So there you have it, a trivial mission with an unspectacular outcome. Sonic weapon research proceeds and the techs are spitting out a small reserve of armour. There's also a project to make yet more gauss weapons for who knows what reason, though as mentioned, we've got tons of the things already.

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   19.12K   145 downloads
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#23 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

What luck! Didn't I ask for the first shipping route terror mission? I did didn't I! Did I get it? I did didn't I! Did I regret getting it? You'll have to read on and see won't you!!! I have 38 pics with this so expect 3 posts, unless I'm able to cut it down to 2 but losing 8 pics is a pretty tall order...

Anyway on with the show.

My first job in the hotseat was to awaken myself from the sickbay after the unfortunate episode with the aquatoid last time I went out so I ordered in precisely 1 new aquanaut. Research also finished on the Sonic cannon so I put them onto the ammo, come on sonic oscillators...

Time flew by with no events at all and despite peaks in alien activity all were now normal so not long into my turn it was the end of the month. We did very well with increased funding across the board! The USA are absolutely ecstatic with us according to the graphs and even Eurasia is happier with us this time round.
Posted Image

Not long after this I was informed that aliens had terrorised a shipping root and I became both very lucky to have the first one and very unlucky to have one at all! I removed the tank from the Triton which is utterly useless here and replaced it with more soldiers. I started with an empty vessel and attempted to fill the craft with the better troops as I knew we were up for a tough ride here. When the Triton set off the site was in sunlight but as I approached the night fell and an already difficult job became that little bit harder!
Posted Image

I sent along rookie 'me' with about 4 troopers with 20 bravery but all the rest were better so I've got a decent team with me. Everyone was armed with Blasta rifles and 2 reloads each while every other man had a medkit and the remaining space was packed with pulsers. Everything else was removed due to the bug regarding 2-part levels. I thought it better to oversupply the troops just in case the enemies had cannons which we can't use, would've been nice to have more pulsers though. The final arrangement for me is below and everyone else was the same except for medkits.
Posted Image

We arrive on site and immediately 4 men in two teams move to secure the LZ. Munty and Rodreigo move to the portside of the ship while Jurgen and friend move forward. I say friend because his buddy died from sonic fire in the first hidden movement so I didn't even get a chance to learn his name!
Posted Image

In the next turn Rodreigo spots a Gillman by the stairs to the next level but a snap shot misses causing reaction fire that's way too close for comfort. Miguel peers out from the Triton and places a wave of sonic through the green critter's skull and then moves out to join Jurgen, replacing his dead friend. As the first 2 teams continue to spread out, a third leaves the triton consisting of Jacques and Danny. Danny stops to collect 'nades from the unknown soldier but is shot from the roof in the alien phase and dies!
Posted Image

Virgil now leaves the Triton and joins up with Jacques and makes it to the ships rear bulkhead, escaping the 50% mortality rate from troopers exiting the craft! In the hidden movement something is thrown but there is no sound, explosion or item to be seen next turn so it's ignored... Jurgen and Miguel have moved to the starboard side of the vessel and after clearing a small room on the landing deck they move towards the bulkhead. Jurgen spots a Deep One on the next level but has no TUs so runs for cover. Miguel covers him and lobs a sonic pulser at the pale alien which decimates it at the end of the turn.
Posted Image

Munty and Rodreico have meanwhile moved into the portside cabins and whilst covering a doorway the new me scores a reaction fire kill in the alien turn! An additional Deep One is also spotted on the roof just meters from the last one but no enemy fire takes place.
Posted Image

As Jaques and Virgil secure the vessel's central cabins they open a door on yet another Deep One but Jacques manages to squeeze off a snapshot in the aliens face and subsequently plasters its brain all over the wall. Jurgen, still outside, throws another grenade onto the weakened deck above and in doing so spots yet another Deep one on the portside of the deck above! Miguel spots it too and lands a legendary snap shot from right across the vessel! The Deep One wails and drops like a stone.
Posted Image

The grenade on the roof polishes off the new Deep One and the corpse of his friend and with the Landing Zone as clear as it's going to get, Tim and Guido leave the Triton and make a move towards the steps to the next level. Munty and Rodreigo have continued along the portside of the vessel and are now moving in single file along some unpleasantly narrow corridors while Miguel and Jurgen can't enter the vessel to starboard so move to join up with Jacques and Virgil in the central cabins. They quickly spot an incredibly sneaky Gillman hiding ON the flightdeck with a sonic cannon! Tim turns to the new contact but a poor shot allows the Gillman to return fire and the cannon makes short work of his armour and organs... After some more misses from the safety of the Triton Otto places a grenade at the aliens feet and it's obliterated at the end of the turn.
Posted Image

Annette and Otto now join with Guido by the stairs and prepare to storm the upper deck, Annette having already primed a grenade last turn but failing to throw it at the gillman commando! Meanwhile Jurgen and Miguel make it to the central rooms with Jacques and Virgil who have finished clearing paths to starboard. Rodreigo rounds a particularly blind corner and spots a Deep One in the distance so he takes a shot but misses. He ducks into a nearby corridor to allow Munty to fire but more misses result in my retreat back around the corner!
Posted Image

As the 4 troopers in the centre of the vessel continue to search the cabins they find themselves in a kitchen where they enjoy sandwiches and take a moment to regroup. The 2 doors west of them provide the only enemy access including the stairs to top deck and Rod's corridor! The corridor in question is meanwhile empty and the Deep One seems to have vanished. Otto, Annette and Guido move up the stairs now and immediately Guido spots 2 Gillmen AND a Deep One having some sort of alien group hug. Annette places her already primed grenade right at their feet and then scurries back down the steps while Guido takes cover by some crates!
Posted Image

In the next hidden movement the Deep One in the corridor returns briefly so, armed with knowledge of his location, Rodreigo moves along his secret hallway to surprise the creature. He opens a door mere feet away from the creature and promptly lands a snap shot in the side of it's ugly head. The troopers in the kitchen have now finished their snack and soon emerge into the same corridor that Rodreigo is now looking along while Annette's grenade kills all 3 aliens they'd seen AND a fourth they didn't even know was there!
Posted Image

Rodreigo now returns to his secret hallway and spots a seemingly unarmed gillman in the hidden movement. He chases it along the corridor and soon relocates it while Munty, not far behind, spots the back of a cannon wielding gillman in the last cabin he checks. Rodreigo takes a shot at his target but puts a neat hole in the wall behind it instead. He promptly ducks out of the room again just as Munty does the same, a shot at the cannon wielder hitting but having no effect.
Posted Image

After an alien turn which I was expecting to be horrendous I'm almost as surprised as Otto and Annette to see the Gillman they were standing on up and about again! Otto blasts him in the guts and is rewarded with the sight of them covering his boots.
Posted Image

Going pretty well so far I think. Only lost 3 troopers and all of them were suffered while leaving the Triton! Still a long way to go yet but at this point I felt pretty good about myself, let's see if my luck holds ;)
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#24 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Ok, no rest for the wicked, it took me 3 hours to play the damn thing so I may as well get the posting over and done with too! And I know, that does seem like a long time but I guess the picture taking, alt-tabbing and note-taking fleshes it out a lot...

So we're still on the deck but the good progress so far sugegsts it shouldn't be a problem getting the troops inside. Only 3 casualties so far so still 11 men left! So let's continue...

With the sleepwalking gillman on deck taken care of we'd best get back to Rodreigo and Munty who are miraculously still alive belowdecks. Rodreigo opens the door again and is immediately face to face with his gillman so he quickly dispenses a faceful-o-noise that quite literally blows his mind. Munty is currently camped outside the last cabin hoping the gillman inside will come to him but in the hidden movement a Deep one has turned up in the hallway. It's quite a way away so he calls in Jurgen to surprise it from the doorway. The German promptly delivers and blasts the alien to pieces at point blank range. Munty then proceeds with his cowardly shooting in the back of the remaining gillman and is rewarded with not one, but two screams of death, as a previously hidden gillman immediately blasts him back for interrupting a scintillating conversation.
Posted Image

With Annette's marvellous grenade placement having so successfully cleared the upper deck, Guido risks a quick dash across to cover on the starboard side but reaction fire from an unseen alien knocks him out in the middle of the vessel. Andrei and Emilio, the last 2 aquanauts in the Triton, now leave to collect up the weapons of their fallen brethren (as they'll otherwise be lost due to the 2-parter bug) and over the next few turns they amass a veritable armoury between them. The four troopers from the kitchen are now covering the stairs up into the bridge and sweeping the last unchecked corridors while Otto and Annette move up to the top deck to revive Guido but instead locate a Gillman and a Deep One right near the bow. They take cover and bide their time.
Posted Image

In the next turn Rodreigo and Jurgen take up positions either side of Munty's twitching body while Miguel enters the front cabins through the hole Rodreigo made and proceeds to the bow belowdecks. As Annette and Otto attempt to reach better positions to bombard the 2 enemies they spotted last turn, a distant groan from Guido says it's all over for this trooper. Otto is furious and he hurls a pulser at the two monsters, ripping the Deep One to pieces but not harming the Gillman. Miguel continues towards the bow and manages to walk three squares towards this Deep One before its sprite becomes visible...
Posted Image

Luckily he has enough time units for a snap shot that cleaves the beast in twain but his clever plan to spot the Gillman through the cabins porthole fails as he is unable to see a thing through the filthy glass... There are shots fired on deck which seem to originate from the bow but both Annette and Otto are in cover and remain safe. On the next turn Annette takes a chance by breaking cover with no grenade and is completely in the open when she spots the Gillman who's been shooting at her and Otto. She risks it all and squeezes off a snapshot which connects beautifully, ending the creatures sniping.
Posted Image

Miguel now moves into the forward cargo handling area as the window idea hadn't worked out so well... He soon spots a Gillman with his back turned and a well placed grenade makes sushi of him at the end of the turn. Virgil and Jacques, who had been covering the bridge access, now ascend the stairs and Virgil spots an unarmed, presumably previously unconscious gillman. An aimed shot finds it's target and the sea-monkey is put to rest permanently.
Posted Image

Over the next few turns every area of the ship is called in as being clear. The bridge is checked but only the dead captain is found. Miguel clears the rest of the bow and everyone commences with retrieving as many artifacts as they can carry, putting off the prospect of entering the front cabin again...

Miguel now has another ingenious idea however and attempts to breach the back wall of the cabin as the Gillman is still looking the other way. He succeeds but after priming his grenade he can't throw it and the Gillman shoots him on the next turn... Jurgen, furious at this turn of events, storms into the cabin and fills the ancient life-form full of soundwaves. As his intenal organs begin to dissolve, the mission ends and we're successful...

Well, we're half successful anyway! With 6 men down and 8 remaining it's time for the next part of this mission.
Posted Image

The troops have done a brilliant job gathering weapons from the fallen on both sides and this is the scene after my agents are rearmed for the next round. Each one has the same gear they began with and most have an extra grenade each. Despite 6 lost troopers we haven't lost a single piece of gear (well maybe a medkit or two) so all we need to do now is survive long enough to enjoy the spoils of war!
Posted Image

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#25 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

Right I've had a little break, still no food though, so I'm back for the last instalment. What do you reckon? Victory or death?!? Either way here it comes!

So here we are inside and I'm immediately terrified of this massive open space right in front of my aquanauts who are for some reason standing in a big clump with no cover... I immediately move them all to the walls and away from enemies, praying to Cthulu that noone throws a grenade at me!!! In the hidden movement we somehow manage to spot a Gillman run along a gantry above us and a civilian dies. We spend a few turns trying to break out of the access lift in teams of 2 but everyone soon gets rather scattered, using the containers for cover.
Posted Image

Emilio spots a trapped Deep One up a few levels but due to it's inability to move he ignores it for now. He's aware of an alien in the container next to him so he checks that instead and, on being presented a Deep One for a target, he redecorates the container with it's backside. Andrei moves out and soon spots a Gillman right on the other side of the ship and 3 levels up. In a stunning display of marksmanship he takes it down from miles away with a single aimed shot to the temple!
Posted Image

Having also spotted a Deep One on top of a small container further into the room and another one to the portside, more troops emerge from their staring place and Annette and Otto team up again for some killing. Otto takes position against a wall but fails to hit anything after 2 shots. Annette does equally poorly and with both of them rather revealed they begin to worry a little... After an inactive hidden movement no shots are fired however and Annette proceeds to cut a neat hole in the first Deep One with a single sonic snapshot.
Posted Image

On the same turn, Otto throws one of his pulsers out from his cover to the last known Deep One in the room, except the trapped one above. A gillman that was spotted near this Deep One last turn is now gone so Otto holds his breath and sure enough the explosion claims 2 lives for the price of 1! In the alien turn a gillman and another Deep One are spotted through the doorway to the next room but although shots are fired none are close to the Commies.
Posted Image

By this time Jacques has found an ingenious use for the shipping containers and is stood in one that looks into the next room, using the door as cover when the turn ends. He peeks out and spots the Deep One but not the Gillman from hidden movement letting off a wide snapshot before closing the door again! Andrei, Virgil and Emilio are all in cover near to Jacques-in-the-box and a well thrown grenade from Emilio puts a gillman out of the game!

Jacques pokes his head out again next turn and spots both the Deep One and a gillman this time. He takes an aimed shot that misses and a snap shot which hits the Deep One, killing it dead! Unfortunately the door must now stay open as Jacques is all out of TUs but he's pleased with himself so not too bothered. Virgil now breaks from the cover of the containers and moves to the small room that formerly sported a Deep One. On turning around he spots a Deep One on the top of the Access lift! He radios it in to Andre who nimbly pops out of the room below the alien and pops it in the head. In the alien turn, another Gillman appears in the next room and combined fire from the pair brings down Jacques who now wishes he'd used 2 snap shots and shut the door after...
Posted Image

Next turn, Otto and Annette rejoin the battle having spent a few turns back in the safety of the access lift. They move to investigate the portside of the large sotre-room, Virgil having spotted a gillman there in the hidden movement, and Otto places a grenade where he hopes it will finish the swine off. Anne moves across to starboard and takes cover in the containers while Virgil and Andrei begin moving towards the next room and it's contents of at least 2 gillmen. Emilio spots one of these Gillmen with a shok launcher but misses with an aimed shot. Otto and Annette move into the port-bow after the grenade thrown last turn makes paste of the gillman.

After another turn of ineffective alien fire from the next room, Emilio takes anotehr aimed shot at the shok-trooper but misses again. Virgil decides to help out a colleague and lobs a pulser around the corner of his current cover which promplty eradicates both Gillmen! Mysteriosuly however Virgil is also dead at the beginning of the next turn, presumably a lucky shot from the trapped Deep One who shouldn't even be able to see him!

Andrei and Emilio now proceed into the next room and spot a Deep One to their right. Andrei misses with an aimed and snap shot but Emilio saves the day, killing it with a perfectly placed snapshot. Rodreigo and Jurgen now leave the access lift for the first time and Jurgen manages to walk up some stairs and through the floor onto the next deck! He then falls down an invisible hole however and ends up behind Jurgen who was already trying to catch up to him... Annette and Otto move up to the next deck in support of the now absent Jurgen and immediately Annette spots a Gillman in the distance. Deciding to take better positions beore engaging she moves to cover but Otto who climbs the stairs right after her is killed by reaction fire!
Posted Image

Andrei and Emilio have now reached the engine room but a glance through the starboard entrance reveals a Gillman and Deep One so they decide to attempt to flank the aliens through the portside door. Annette now attempts a similar tactic and moves to flank the gillman that killed Otto but before she can so much as prime her grenade she is killed by reaction fire! Jurgen uses this distraction to move into a position where he can finally subdue this rogue gillman and finally manages to land a grenade a few meters away from the beast.
Posted Image

Jurgen's grenade finally puts an end to the monsters reign of terror and the alien turn is becoming increasingly short, as is the supply of XCom operatives in play... Rodreigo and Jurgen take cover in some nearby containers and wait for word from the engine room but not before an accurate snap-shot polishes off the trapped Deep One, the last known alien in the bow section of the vessel.
Posted Image

Andrei and Emilio have entered the engine room again from the port-side now and take cover behind one of the engines. In the alien turn the Deep One in the engine room kills a civilian in plain view and Andrei and Emilio continue to sneak along the engine room in the XCom turm. Spotting the Deep One still in the same location, Andrei attempts to toss a grenade up onto the gantry but the steelwork gets in the way and it falls short, destroying a large chunk of engine. He falls back to cover and readies another grenade while Emilio is also busy priming his ordnance.
Posted Image

In the alien turn, movements of both aliens are revealed and the Gillman is seen approaching Emilio's position with an angry looking Sonic cannon. Valuing his life highly, Emilio lobs his primed grenade just past the corner of the last engine and the explosion makes a mess of the Gillman and much of the floor and walls. Andrei steps out to take a risky shot at the Deep One and after a few attempts is successful in bringing it down. The game is still not over however and both men move to the next deck, covering hallways and doorways and continuing to work in a pair as has served them so well this far.

Jurgen and Rodreigo, realising there is still more work to be done, come out of hiding and move into the corridor network that the other 2 troopers are now exploring. Soon they make contact and the squad assembles as one to continue with the task at hand. Andrei opens a door he was guarding to reveal a Deep One and quickly eradicates it. The game still doesn't end though so the squad continues to clear the area and no more hostiles are found.
Posted Image

Andrei holds his position while the other 3 troopers move towards him until only one room is left unchecked. He moves up to the final door but his reactions aren't quick enough when a Gillman opens the door before him and he's killed with a single shot. On the next turn Rodreigo opens the door he was guarding, right behind where Andrei had falln, and comes face to face with the murderous monster. He makes sure his rifle is touching alien flesh before he fires off a round which is entirely successful at ending another aliens life.
Posted Image

As if they hadn't seen enough death for the day there was still more to be done and with this deck clear there was only one level left so they quickly moved up again. Emilio spots another Gillman at the top of the stairs and hurls an already primed pulser at its feet. The turn is ended when cover is found and shortly after so is the Gillman though there are still more enemies to be found!!!
Posted Image

The three remaining troopers from an original eleven are all exhausted but continue to pus on, quickly clearing most of the floor. Jurgen watches an unchecked doorway while Rodreigo finds a toilet block which could provide endless opportunities for reaction fire so he chooses to wait outside. Emilio opens the final door to reveal some sort of control room and yet another cannon wielding gillman. Despite holding a primed grenade, he's cautious of reaction fire and instead risks a careful aimed shot. His luck lasts the day and as the Gillman drops, the mission is finally over!!!
Posted Image

Now I know I've lost a lot of good men and I apologise... But check out this score ;)
Posted Image
Given our monthly score of 800-something I think 500-something is pretty good for one mission!

Try this for a link Game1.zip

#26 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Geoscape part:

Since the last mission had so many casualties, it's hiring time, so X-COM hired 11 more soldiers, who should arrive in a few days.

Extra corpses are sold, and some extra gauss rifles are sold as well. All jet harpoons and ammo are also sold, since they are way obsolete by now.

Gauss cannon ammo research is complete:

geoscape_000.png

Scientists are now researching the Ion Beam Accelerators.

Triton 1 arrives at base, and it is rearmed with more cannon fodder recruits, a tank, sonic rifles and cannons.

A couple of day passes and the soldiers arrive, most of them are weak and don't have much accuracy, but half of them are quite brave! naming is applied accordingly, and a bit more reshuffling is done on the Triton.

A few minutes afterwards, the sirens go off, the aliens are launching another port attack!

geoscape_001.png

All aquanauts put on their plastic armor and the Triton dusts off...
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#27 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

Tactical part:

Troops arm the grenades (2 dyes, one sonic). As soon as the tank opens the hatch, a Deep One is spotted:

tactical_000.png

The tank ignores it for now, and starts looking around for more enemies. Soon, a gillman is revealed hiding just in front of the LZ:

tactical_001.png

Jurgen puts it to rest quickly by taking an aimed shot from inside the craft. Tracy does the same thing to kill the Deep One. The tank explores a bit more, and Donna takes care of the Deep One that is spotted. End of turn. A couple of blasts are heard, accompanying the screams of civilians that are murdered mercilessly.

tactical_002.png

A gillman is getting near a civilian in order to give him a bit of the latest record of the sonic rifle, but Javier kills it with another aimed shot. Another one is spotted at the top of the tower, with a corpse on his hands. Several troops try to take it but there is no line of site. Tracy tries moving near the edge of the protective cloud and fire a snapshot, which connects and drops it dead. End of turn.

tactical_003.png tactical_004.png

Several aliens are spotted on the alien movement phase, a gillmen on the first floor of a building, a Deep One on the base of the building, and two Deep Ones on the tower, one at the top and another at the bottom. The top one hides in the room at the top.

The tank advances to the tower to spot the Deep Ones, but a gillmen with a Sonic Cannon is detected. Tracy puts it down with her own cannon. Conner discovers a gillmen hidden just outside of the LZ but hidden in a building, and lays another shot to its head, succesfully. End of turn. A civilian turns into goo, but nothing else happens.

tactical_008.png tactical_009.png

The tank uncovers another hidden gillman, but once a hole is made, Samuel was in a bad spot, so a grenade is thrown at the front of the hole and everyone hid. A Deep One is spotted at the south flank and more troops are in the open, so the second dye gets thrown too. End of turn, the grenades explode, the gillman dies. The tank gets shot and barely survives.

tactical_010.png tactical_012.png

Jose kills the southern Deep One, while Miguel throws a grenade to the gillman that was spotted near the tank. The tank tries to move away from the dead alien, but another one is spotted at the building. Several soldiers try to get it, but there is no clear line of fire. Conner steps just outside of the cloud and gets it with an aimed shot. End of turn.

tactical_013.png tactical_014.png
tactical_015.png

The grenade explodes but the fence partially stops the explosion enough not to kill the gillman, which advances towards the tank but is unable to shoot it since the tank took over just in time before ending the turn. A gillman technician goes berserk.

The tank valiantly steps out of the hiding place to check if it can spot the alien. It does! and Miguel draws a third eye on its head. Javier discovers the berserking gillman, and nails it with an aimed shot. End of turn. Things get more quiet now. Just as the troops started to spread out, Javier gets the scare of his life, spotting two aliens just a few meters away from him.

tactical_018.png tactical_019.png
tactical_020.png

He gets behind the small office for cover while Emilio throws them a little... present. ;) End of turn.

The grenade goes boom right in front of them, and roasted they get. Time for the chef to learn how to make Gillmen sushi, perhaps?

The tank spots two hidden Deep Ones. Tracey makes an opening at the room at the top of the tower, and Conner takes the Deep One. After several attempts of making a hole to shoot the other one, Miguel arms & throws a grenade behind it. Javier discovers that one alien had actually survived the previous blast, but quickly fixes that detail. End of turn.

tactical_023.png tactical_024.png

An alien that is on the second floor tries to snipe down Samuel, but it misses, and Samuel shoots back a couple of times. The grenade explodes but the Deep One still stands.

Donna spots a Deep One almost right next to Jose, and he takes it. Donna tries to take the surviving Deep One but misses. Tracey takes it after another aimed shot. End of turn. A Deep One got scared, and after a few salvos from almost everyone, Donna takes it. End of turn.

tactical_027.png

Emilio tries to throw a grenade inside of the second floor, but misses and the Deep One corpse gets destroyed instead at the end of next turn. Moreover, the alien hiding there went to look what happened, but as soon as his face appeared on the window, Jurgen takes it down via a reaction shot. Another alien seems to be moving in the first floor, this one with a Sonic Cannon.

Emilio tries the same trick, this time it succeeds and the grenade is inside of the building. The gillman blows into pieces since it was very near of it. Another Deep One panicks. The tank looks around but is unable to spot it. The tank goes exploring the north since it's one of the few remaining places. The Deep One tries to take the tank after ending the turn, in a futile attempt to save its life. The tank discovers it and turns away to hide, but while doing so uncovers another gillman on the second floor, so it hides behind a wagon instead.

Several soldiers try to take the Deep One, but all shots miss. Emilio throws his last grenade at it. End of turn. The grenade explodes and takes the Deep One with it. The alien in the second floor panicks, a Squad Leader, apparently. In the next few turns, Donna goes inside of the building and ends the mission by capturing it.

tactical_028.png tactical_029.png
tactical_030.png

Flawless victory for X-COM!

geoscape_002.png

Savegame for the next commander -> Attached File  GAME_1.zip   8.74K   135 downloads

#28 Grossbeer

Grossbeer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

3round begins:

avter overviewing the situation i noticed we have 20 soldiers as garrison. as i like to have at least 2 tritons full of awanauts i ordered 10 more. I sold some soic cannons 2 MC readers (we had 4 in stock) and some corpses.
i razed the 4th sub pen and built a new base named Outpost 1:
geo1.jpg geo2.jpg

after still haveing lots of money i dicide we can extend our labs. they take a long time anyway so we can collect more money along the way for the wages. as living quarters were scares(especially when the new workshop finishes in 2 days) i built another LQ. we will need a second for the labs but only in 10 days (labs take 26 days, LQ 16)

geo3.jpg
Soon we have no more aqua plasics for armorbulding so i descided to build soem more medkits (as we only have 8 or 9).
All our aquanauts were already armourd so i didnt want to build AP in the WSps (they cost 3000 per piece) after the WS finishes i stocked up our workforce with another 35 techs.
Then the a small sub is spotted, is being a little (by barras and triton) and then ,after the barrra had 60% fuel, shot down.
Daymission begins.
geo4.jpg

#29 Grossbeer

Grossbeer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Volcanic terrain, we like that.
After exiting the tank spotted the first gillman with a sonic cannon. hea backs away so the aquanauts have a clear shot:
tac1.jpg
Samulel Kemp walks out the triton an takes a shot sprazzling the volcanic hill behind the gillman. tracy is next and shoots it dead.  The second alien was spotted near the triton in the dark:
tac2.jpg
it demands a granade, which is primed by gonzales and thrown by marillo. sadly the grenade hits part of the nearby hill, so the gillman stayed unharmed. the second nade' downs it:
tac3.jpg
Some more scouting, and positioning snipers later:
tac4.jpg
Samuel Kemp, being on high ground downs it from afar.
Advancing thru the bubbles and dirt from the nade' we spot the USO:
tac5.jpg
moving the troops around a lil and unvocering some area i join the "ive lost a tank"-Club (heya Verteran ;) ):
tac6.jpg
2 troops advancing the hill where the gillman took a shot. During the aliens turn we spot a gillman with a sonic pistol in the sub:
tac7.jpg
trying to surround it we position 2 aquanauts at the entracne and the DUP blowed hole in the sub. The wicked gillman exits the Sub from the entrance and no reaction shot is fired ;) .
tac9.jpg
Emilio is hit but with 8 hp still alive. "What the hell" he thinks and charges after the alien taking revenge:
tac10.jpg
while Emilios wounds are taken care of the Tankbusting gillman is being blown to pieces by a sonic pulser.
Searching the Sub shows 4 dead Gillman corpses but otherwise very little loot.
After having secured the sub we spot the last alien, down it and won the mission.

not the best of missions bet we got some exp to the soldiers :-)

here  is the save for the next commander(BB):  http://rapidshare.co...0633/GAME_1.rar

and here the vid:

#30 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:19 AM

So I sell off a few gillmen corpses, snub my nose at the continued lack of funds, and proceed to order absolutely nothing. Shove aqua armor on a bunch of rookies and assign them to the Triton. Might as well get some more men eligible for promotion while survival rates are high and difficulty is low.

Ion Beam Accelerator research completes, and the Deep One project quickly follows it. Research starts on the MC Lab; craft weapons can wait a bit.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_01.png

The stores in the second base complete construction. I'm not sure what the intended layout is supposed to be, so I tack a living quarters module onto that and leave it for now.

A bunch more techs arrive at the first base and together with the previous team they quickly polish off the medkit project. Having nothing better for them to do at the moment I tell them to make more. Lots more.

I discover a USO. It is Very Large and heading north. I send the Triton after it, but it soon disappears from sonar.

And then it turns up again.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_02.png

It occurs to me about now that I probably should've shifted the rookies off and switched to a full complement of Sonic Cannons before sending the Triton after a Dreadnought. Oh well. It's night time, so I decided to park next to it and see if it decided to take off before morning.

It doesn't. Instead, another Large USO shows up, and the Triton's sonar detects an alien base... Work, work, work...

tftdmulti_bbturn03_03.png

And so it begins. Yup, she's a big girl all right. Hopefully it's more Gillmen.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_04.png

It's not Gillmen.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_05.png

I consider taking off on the spot. I decide against it, and then:

tftdmulti_bbturn03_06.png

The dropzone falls quiet, and thoughts again turn to evac. The amount of firepower I've got really isn't sufficient to take down the Tentaculats, and the Lobstermen are just laughing at my attacks; I decide to throw everything I can into the Triton and bail.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_07.png

And then this happened.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_08.png

The Lobsterman in concern had been wandering around to the south for a while, and had soaked up some fire from my men already. I'd been hoping to take his launcher home with me, but since he'd made it quite clear he intended to keep it, I decided it was time to call it a day.

tftdmulti_bbturn03_09.png

That's a Tentaculat corpse, for those wondering.

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   17.72K   110 downloads

#31 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Geoscape Segment

Music accompaniment: Ultima 7 and 7.5's Sea Shanty - demented, I know! Yet strangely appropriate.

By the time the Triton arrives home, the landed enemy subs drop out of our tracking range. I decide to let them go and get around to reorganizing the team.

With funds still at a low state, I sold:

26 Gauss Rifles
24 Medikits
3 Sonic Cannons
3 Sonic Blasta Rifles
10 Sonic Pistols
2 Thermal Shok Lauchers

I ended up selling most of my precious Sonic Pistols, but there's 5 left to keep me happy once they've been researched.

That's raised an extra $4 million to add to the coffers, raising available funds to $6mil. It doesn't stay that way for long since I hire 5 aquanauts to replace those lost in the battle. I know it's not going to be any good against Lobstermen, but I also replace the lost Coelacanth and 40 spare solid bolts to go with it. This still leaves the next commander with a cool $5+ million to play with.

geoscape_000.png

While waiting a few hours for the repairs and rearming, a small sub is spotted flying south from the Colony. Probably one of the build fleet.

A Barracuda is sent to intercept it. When the two craft meet, they are over land so the Barracuda pilot complains vehemently about his contract stating that he's not allowed to shoot stuff down over land, since it's an occupational health and safety hazard. He's a sub pilot, not an aircraft pilot. The fact that he's piloting a flying sub is merely a technicality. Rather than incur the wrath of the submarine pilots' union, I concede and let him tail the enemy ship.

While the Barracuda is following the enemy sub something zips past the two very-very quickly that I couldn't take a snap. It didn't even register, so it may have been one of the earlier detected subs around the colony. Probably the same Dreadnaught that was touched down.

geoscape_001.png

The chase keeps travelling south. By the time the two ships touch water, the pilot decides to be helpful and reminds me four or five times in succession that can't intercept over land then proceeds to knock down the Cruiser between the ports of Dakar and Accra. What's wrong with these pilots?

The Barracuda sustained bit of damage taken from one hit that it couldn't evade, but nothing a few hours of TLC by the greasemonkeys cannot mend.

With the Triton refueled, a few more Sonic cannons are put in and the 5 empty slots are filled with aquanauts of Seaman rank to test their mettle. Most haven't got their suits of Plastic Aqua Armour yet, but this will suffice for now. With the Gas Cannon Coelacanth at least 3-4 days away I'll have to make this attempt without it.

I wait until it is dawn over the crash site, and launch the Triton. On second thought I should've launched before dawn, but the Triton should still get there in daylight.

Thus ends the Geoscape part of my log. To be continued in the tactical segment later.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#32 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Tactical segment is go!

Music accompaniment: A midi version of Metallica's Call of Ktulu - since I am expecting to fight Lobstermen I felt a heavy and sinister mood would be apropos.

Turn 1

From a quick glance outside the Triton, the outcroppings in the distance suggests we've touched down in rocky seabed terrain. The four nearest the hatch prime their grenades and the turn is ended.

Turn 2 - 6

The turn was quick, but just to be on the safe side a few more turns are ended. Some glimpses of movement are seen outside but otherwise nothing major happens. The quick flashes of movement do suggest that something is nearby. Best be on our guard.

Turn 7 - 9

tactical_001.png

On opening the hatch, we see the back of a Lobsterman. Everyone pockets their grenades and the Triton is reshuffled to get the shiny new Sonic Cannons to the front. Turn is ended.

Turn 10 (Yes it walked away in turn 9)

tactical_002.png

Krug Pavlov, quite the marksman in the current bunch, points his sonic cannon and fires. He misses and hits the downward slope behind the Lobsterman. The good thing about this is that he did not attract any attention.

Krug rushes off to the side and Mark Scotney takes his place. He's even more accurate yet he also misses his shot.

Henri Buchard, one of the worst shots of all the aquanauts that I've moved so far takes a snap and hits the Lobsterman squarely in the back. It spins around and retaliates, though it doesn't do any damage. Oddly enough just before it reacted, there was a message saying that there was not enough energy to perform an action.

tactical_003.png tactical_004.png tactical_005.png

While scrolling through the troops, Jean Guerin spot something nasty creeping up the side of the Triton. Uma Hand, hidden from the newly sighted Lobsterman, fires her Blasta Rifle twice and both hits connect with the battered Lobsterman and finish it off.

I wish we had a MC Reader at this point, since I'm not keen to launch an attack on the Lobsterman outside just yet.

Jason Remington throws his Pulser out at a wide angle to keep the blast away from the Triton hatch. Just one Pulser. It won't kill the Lobsterman, but it should shake it up a little. Turn ends.

The explosion most definitely hits the Lobsterman, though obviously it's still alive.

Turn 11

tactical_006.png tactical_007.png tactical_008.png

When the hatch is opened the Lobsterman has moved away from the Triton and is now near its dead comrade. Miguel Hernandez opens fire with his Blasta Rifle, connects and gets a 'not enough energy' message. The  Lobsterman spins around with a sharp retort.

Krug leaps back in and launches an attack with his Sonic cannon - but hits the ground again. He rushes back into the eaves.

Migueal also jumps into the eaves, revealing Henri who was crouched behind him. Again one of the worst shots in the team, but he levels his sonic cannon and snaps a direct hit. The Lobsterman still stands.

Jason Remmington fires a Blasta-Rifle round but it misses.

Uma Hand strikes the rock next to the Lobsterman while a second shot connects.

Jason's second shot misses.

Louis Lefevre snaps with his Blasta Rifle and takes the Lobsterman down.

The turn is ended.

Turn 12

tactical_009.png

Henri Buchard steps outside of the Triton and notices a Lobsterman to the South. Not being in a position to attack he holds still.

Miguel Hernandez throws a pulser at it. Krug Pavlov tosses a primed pulser to Mark Scotney, who then skilfully lands the pulser beside Miguel's.

Since no one's had a chance to do any recon towards the East, everyone rushes back into the Triton for cover. Turn ends.

The dual blasts fail to kill the Lobsterman.

Turn 13

A quick glance outside proves fruitless - it's too cloudy to see anything. Rather than venture out into danger, a few spare pulsers are set and the turn is ended. Doors are heard, so there must be some around the wreck.

Turn 14 - 16

tactical_011.png

Miguel makes a beeline to the nearby rock outcrop. Uma Hand joins Miguel on the other side of the outcrop, wary that the other Lobsterman is still out there.

Krug and Henri step out the Triton. Uma inspects the bodies to see what spare munitions are available. Miguel moves to the other side of the outcrop.

After turn 16 ends, Krug is killed.

Turn 17

tactical_012.png

Uma does something crazy and runs in the direction of the attack. Her effort completely exhausts her, but she finds the Lobsterman.

A series of attacks from all the Aquanauts outside the Triton commences.

Henri hits.

Jason misses.

Mark Scotney hits a rock. As in the game of Rochambeau, rock cancels rock.

Louis Lefevre hits.

Jacqueline Lecointe throws a pulser next to it - her Gauss pistol has no hope of harming the beast ( I know, I know, why did I bring it along knowing we were facing a Lobsterman crew? Why indeed.)

Miguel misses, nearly hitting Uma in the back.

With Uma's life at stake, the turn is ended.

The pulser explodes and stuns the Lobsterman.

Another Lobsterman walks out of the dust particles and heads between the crevice of a rock outcrop.

Turn 18

tactical_014.png

With Uma safe, another volley of long range assaults commences.

tactical_015.png tactical_016.png

Jason misses.

Henri seems to hit, or at least it sounded like a hit.

Louis hits.

Uma gets up and flees (she's in the way of Miguel's line of fire). The Lobsterman reacts, but misses.

Miguel fires twice, the first misses while the second kills the Lobsterman.

With everyone quite exhausted, the turn ends very dangerously.

Turn 19

tactical_017.png

Everyone starts to spread out. Henri goes around the front of the Triton to see what's on the other side. No sign of the enemy sub wreck just yet.

The magic turn is up next, so there might be a bit of activity.

Turn ends.

A shot comes out of the direction Henri was scouting and kills him. His primed pulser wipes out all traces of his existence by transforming his body into fish food.

Turn 20

Mark Scotney was caught in the blast and is now literally within an inch of his life remaining. Mark uses all his strength to make it back into the Triton and Jacqueline rips open the medikit to treat Mark's head wound. Being realistic, Mark decides to swap weapons with Jacqueline. Jacqueline gratefully accepts the Sonic Cannon.

In the end Mark doesn't bother to pick up Jacqueline's discard Gauss Pistol and instead decides to chill for the remainder of the mission in the Triton.

Meanwhile...

tactical_019.png

Louis Leferve finds Henri's killer.

Juan Bonal (the guy who has so far been hiding in the back of the Triton) throws a primed Pulser to Jean Guerin. Jean picks up the pulser, scoots out of the Triton and throws it over the sub and it lands at the feet of the Lobsterman. Everyone on the team already knows this isn't going to be enough, so Jason Remmington grabs a pulser off one of the dead Lobstermen and arms it. He can't throw that far so he calls over to Louis to move closer to take the grenade and finish the throw. Louis takes a few steps and this puts him out of the Lobsterman's field of vision.

Suddenly feeling very embarassed, Jason find himself unable to throw the grenade over to Louis. Uma, already holding an armed Pulser, passes that to Louis.

tactical_021.png

Louis completes the maneuver.

Both grenades detonate, but again they aren't enough to kill the Lobsterman.

Having moved a bit, the damaged Lobsterman ends its turn in full view of Louis.

Turn 21

tactical_022.png tactical_023.png

Uma takes two shots, one hitting the rock beside the Lobstermen, the other hitting. It stays standing.

Louis takes a shot and stuns the Lobsterman.

Jean Guerin doubles around the back of the Triton to make sure there aren't any other Lobsterman on the other side.

Uma and Jason turn back and face the unknown while Miguel scouts further into the rocks. Turn ends.

A Lobsterman tries to throw a pulser at Miguel, but it lands too close and clears some rocks around it.

Turn 22

tactical_024.png

Miguel relocates the Lobsterman. Not being any position to attack nor are there any clear lines of fire, he attempts to run for the nearest cover, but the rough terrain proves very difficult and it's slow going. When his time is up he is left quite exposed. Uma and Jason start moving over to provide assistance.

Jacqueline and Louis go to check out the lobsterman that Louis stunned. Turn ends.

Nothing untoward happens to Miguel.

Turn 23

tactical_025.png

Miguel gets behind cover and his two team mates continue their effort to link up with him.

Louis checks the body and discovers that it's a technician. Not particularly important, but may as well leave it be. Instead he pilfers the Sonic Grenade and moves away.

Turn 25

tactical_026.png

Miguel gets out of cover and finds the Lobsterman hasn't moved from its spot. He leaps for the rock corner nearby and finds that he can hide safely behind it without exposing himself to the Lobsterman by kneeling. Uma and Jason continue to close in.

Juan Bonal decides to join the fight, drops his equipment and upgrades it by borrowing the late Krug's Sonic Cannon and pulser.

Turn 26

Miguel peek-a-boo's the Lobsterman and confirms that it hasn't moved. Uma hand pops out of cover and fires two Blasta Rifle rounds that connect, then ducks back into hiding again. Jason, not having a clear shot, suddenly gets a clever idea and decides to travel north and do a wide circle around to get another angle on the Lobstermen. He doesn't make it to far.

Juan explores more of the map corner behind the Triton to make sure it is clear.

Turn 27

The last performance is repeated. Miguel spots the Lobsterman, Uma jumps out and fires two rounds. This time nothing seems to connect. Jason travels forth and reaches the rock formations to the north. He starts his wide circle around.

Juan, Jacqueline and Louis begin a wide sweep towards the south.

Turn 28

Going for the hat trick, Miguel pops his head up and spots the Lobsterman for the third time successfully, and quickly ducks back down behind cover. Jason, now in position, attacks but misses.

Uma fires twice, first striking the rock behind the Lobstermen, the second shot connects.

Juan and Louis, though on the other side of the map, have a long narrow shaft between the rocks void of obstructions. This allows them to target the Lobsterman. They attempt to snipe the Lobsterman but miss and hit the rocks. The turn ends.

As if the Lobsterman's fed up with this game of whack-a-mole, or having 4 of 5 Aquanauts firing on it from various directions, it runs towards Miguel and attempts to punch Miguel's lights out. Miguel cowers from the massive claws, but the Lobsterman seems to falter at the last moment and does a small circle.

Side note: I had switched to the Rush'n'Attack (from the 8-bit NES) first map theme music by this time. Was going to use it with the drills due to its stabby theme, but oh well. Wanted something uplifting.

Turn 29

tactical_028.png

This close to the enemy, everyone that can see it decide not to give it any quarter. Jason fires some rounds and manages to score a hit to the Lobsterman's flank. Miguel somehow fumbles his two point blank shots and destroys the rock he's kneeling behind.

Our heroes have certainly landed themselves in a tight pinch!

tactical_029.png

Juan, as seen above is only a few paces away from the Triton. He manages to pull off a single amazing snapshot from the LZ to the other end of the map, slaying Miguel's Lobsterman dead several times over. No doubt getting down with the cannon's dulcet tones.

With the threat now gone, Jason turns around to inspect his surroundings. It seems they've just about hit the edge of the eastern edge of the combat zone. This is good as now the aquanauts can fan out in a wide line and do a southward sweep of the map. Or at least that is what we hope to do. Turn ends.

The turn passed almost instantly, this is probably good news.

Turn 30 through 33

Miguel turns as red as the Lobstermen when he inspects the foe that nearly turned him inside out. It was just carrying a drill and three remaining Pulsers. Had he kept his head and joined the attack, they might have had this alien taken down sooner. He refreshes his pulser supply.

Juan Guerin climbs one of the elevated rock outcrops and witnesses a very unusual natural phenomena. Almost the entire western edge of the battle zone is made up of the same elevated rock formations. Scenery appreciation aside, he decides to stay where he is as it turns out to provide a good way to observe the central field.

tactical_030.png

The next few turns are spent expanding the front-line. Uma, Miguel and Jason are little slow because they have to take the time to weave through and inspect the complicated rock field along their side of the combat zone.

Uma spots the Cruiser wreck on turn 32.

With the wreck spotted, the cordon of Aquanaut start to tighten and surround the ship. Most kneel and face the big gaping holes on either side of the Submarine.

Miguel, climbs up onto the last of the dense rocks on his side of the map and stays at an elevated position. His companion Jason on the other hand continues south, making his way along the edge of the map to get a better view of the path to the sub's doors.

By the end of Turn 33, the Lobsterman in the sub must've noticed the sub being surrounded and attempts to kill Louis with a pulser, but the grenade falls short. Louis lives!

Turn 34

Since we're not likely to be recovering anything from the wreck (well, everyone can see there's nothing more to wreck), Jacqueline and Louis throw pulsers in to rattle the (hidden) Lobsterman a little. Louis throws a little off centre and the Pulser lands embedded in the corner of the sub. Hopefully it'll work still!

Both Pulsers explode, and it's obvious the Lobsterman survived. The alien turn ends instantly and our next turn begins. Very promising.

Turn 35 through 36

tactical_031.png

Jason Remmington walks up along his side of the sub and spots the back of the head of the injured Lobsterman. It's hiding by the sub's entry portal. Though far away, Louis has a perfectly clear line of fire. He relishes the kill as two rounds from his Blasta Rifle turn the Lobsterman's internals into wobbly jelly.

geoscape_002.png

The mission ends successfully.

And for the next commander:

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   18.25K   90 downloads

- NKF

#33 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

As I took control I have quickly made some room in our stores selling some junk like corpses and other usos stuff. Since we have plenty of cash I didn't sell any extra weapons. Seeing that we have plenty of troops and some or on their way with the Gas Tank. I have also visited our researchers - they are still working on the M.C Lab, so I left them be, but while visitng the engineeres I have ordered them to finish the med-kits and started to manufacture more aqua plastics armor - 10 to be precise.

Re-equiped the Triton to carry 14 troops all with medkits, pulsers and flares. Also 10 of them where assigned with Blasta rifles and 4 with Sonic Cannons with extra clips.

Time passed by and suddenly 2 medium type USOs appeared on the sonar. Swiftly I have lunched two barracudas at one of them and waited what will come next.

geoscape_000.png

After some bit of chasing third USO appeared on the sonar but this one was very small so I ignored it and contiune to pursuit the medium one. Soon after both mediums have touched downed and I have lunched Triton to the nearest one.

geoscape_003.png

Couple of hours later the Triton landed in the vicinity of the USO.

As the men tried to put their first steps out of the Sub, Samuel has spoted first alien carrying their godly hammer of smithing - Disruptor Pulse Luncher. Because every first encounter of alien is terryfing for soldiers he missed his aimed shot. Luckly standing next to him Javier did his job. Because our leading men used their TU's and I didn't want to end in mass aqua murder with another DPL I have ended the turn.

tactical_052.png

Next turn, followed with discovery of another alien near our sub exit, and Javier once again took care of the problem
tactical_053.png

Following turns our men finaly made an exit from the sub seperating to cover the map. 3 man were assigned to go top, another 3 to secure middle and another 3 to scout the bottom of map. Bacuse our commander was without armor he was left behind in a sub with 3 men guard squad. Our lieutenant with fresh aqua armor helped with the advance on the middle of the map.

After some turns our man spoted an alien and Martin with Jaime tried to reaction fire him. Unfortunetly the failed but lucky for us, the gilman didn't have plan to blow us to kingdom come with his DPL. So when it was our turn Jamie rushed to catch him so others could take care of him. Unfortunetly he vanished somewhere but he discovered another alien, that was taken care of by Jacqueline with proper aimed shot from her Sonic Cannon.

tactical_057.png

Next turn the alien with the DPL has decided to show himself but was quickly dispatched by Jamies aimed shot

tactical_059.png

While the middle and northern group were slowly advancing on the south Samuel has spoted another gilman and the enterance to the USO. With carefull aim the gilman was nomore

tactical_058.png

Following turn another aliens galore slowly start to appear. And our soldiers swiftly make alien sushi of them.

tactical_060.png

Unfortunetly this killing spree had to end. Advancing Jamie spoted some hidden alien. He knelt fired his aimed shot and missed. Big bummer - I have ordered all soldiers who had line of fire to dispatch this problem but all failed, and  the alien made an example of Jamie by throwing grenade under his feet.

tactical_061.png tactical_062.png

The scream of exploding man somewhat scared our men but our Lieutenant Tracy kept them on their toes and soon after the bastard was smited by the holy retribution delivered by Uma with her Sonic Cannon aimed shot.

tactical_063.png

The area near USO was finally clear so our men prepared to storm the USO. Turn after turn they slowly began to enter it.

tactical_065.png   tactical_066.png

When they have reached the stairs Samuel and Henri raced to the nearest doors of the upper floor which was an engine room. No aliens there, while Tracey and Martin the veteran positioned themselfs on the top of the stairs.

tactical_069.png

No aliens wanted to show their ugly faces so Samuel and Henri took position near the doors where aliens should be residing

tactical_070.png

Still no sign of aliens. So Samuel opens the door and spots three gilman in perfect situation. Because we don't show them mercy Henri primes his granade and tosses to Samuel who throws it at them and runs to cover.

tactical_071.png

The scream of dying aliens was calming and energising to men, because on their toon one decided to send retribution but Martin swiftly took care of him as soon as he showed his ugly face.

Next turn Henri tries to enter his part of room and spots gilman with DPL and delivers quick snap shot to his face. Same goes for Samuel who finds alien again in the room what we think was clear.

tactical_075.png tactical_076.png

As turn ends a gilman squad leader panics revealing his position.

tactical_077.png

Because his position was well fortified and aliens are known to only panic once. Tracy primed her granade and passed it to Samuel who delivered the package to the bugger.

tactical_078.png tactical_079.png

Turn ends and it is still not over yet. So Henri with Martin as backup entered western part of the sub. Still nothing. Luckly alien showed his face and Henri took care of him ending the mission.

tactical_080.png

And the result

geoscape_002.png

And the save file

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   18.03K   116 downloads
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Ok after much ado I finally have a bug-free and rather acceptable mission to post so I think we can get back on track now!

I did no buying or selling and unfortunately a further oversight meant I went straight into battle with an incomplete and unarmed squad only 8 of whom had armour! Everyone had guns'n'ammo but not nearly enough grenades for my liking or I would probably have been a bit more gung-ho with this mission.

Anyway here it is and I believe this is the second supply vessel that Silencer spotted landed in his turn but it's unusual if it is. I started the save with both Barracuda's patrolling the area but not wanting to lose out on protection at base I recalled them both soon into playing. The USO was still landed when they left and by the time they'd refueled I'd already missed one encounter(only a very small though) I soon saw another craft though which was a medium USO which travelled from the north to the seas just east of our base and then back north again to the original landing site. This leads me to believe it was the same one previously encountered in that area or if not certainly another supply vessel for the same base.

The Triton was sent out in exactly the same configuration as it has arrived back at base in and after losing contact with the landed sub while en-route it relocated it just prior to arriving to patrol so quickly landed at the scene...

Samuel and Javier started the mission in the doorway so clearing the subs immediate surroundings was down to them. Sam opened the door and spotted a gillman with a cannon who he took out with an aimed shot. The turn was ended. Sam landed a well placed flare that illuminated 2 more gillmen, one cannon and one torpedo launcher. Sam finished off his TUs by killing the one with the cannon but Javier missed the torp wielder so the turn was ended. Next turn There are another 3 misses on the remaining gillman before Javier polishes him off with a snap shot!
Posted Image

Next turn another torpedo wielding gillman is spotted near the flare and Sam takes him out with a snap shot after missing with an aimed. He then moves out from the sub with Javier, moving South and North respectively to minimise casualties in the event of incoming torpedoes. Unfortunately Javier's luck runs out and he's killed by sonic fire from the SE, there is no sign of the guilty alien in X-Com's turn.
Posted Image

Sam moves east after locating the soutehrn edge of the map and although the USO is spotted, Javier's killer is not. Martin and Henri leave the Triton and head North, soon reaching the edge of the combat-zone with no encounters. Juan leaves the Triton to backup Samuel who is now at the rear of the USO but dares not risk investigate further alone.

As Henri and Martin turn East at the top of the map, alien fire kills Martin in the alien turn and both Henri and Juan turn their attention to the new attacker, essentially flanking him from north and south respectively. A pulser from Henri decimates the area previously occupied by the killer but there is no visual and the grenade fails to kill anything. Juan heads further North and makes it right through the smoke with no contact. Henri heads cautiously East and spots the Gillman moving to cover in coral in the enemy turn. A snap shot puts the creature down in X-Coms next move.
Posted Image

As Henri continues to move further East, he's startled by a shok bomb which narrowly misses him from the east. Knowing that unconsciousness is the worst case scenario he continues to move but at the end of the turn he's spotted nothing. Juan moves North to the same patch of coral but he fails to spot the alien too and in the hidden movement Henri is knocked out by another shok bomb. Juan finally tracks down the sapper in the next turn just east of the coral field and a snap shot ends it'sd reign of terror.
Posted Image

Over the next few turns Juan from the coral and Lt.Tracey from the Triton converge on the USO. Once there, they rest for a few turns to regain lost energy and Samuel throws a pulser around the USO to take care of any stragglers by the door. Javier's killer was still at large after all but the USO doors had stopped opening a few turns ago. The troops take the front entrance and Jean and Jacqueline leave the Triton to reinforce the boarding party. Jacqueline clears the main door and then Juan and Jean move into secure the steps.
Posted Image

The same two troopers clear the bottom of the stairs and the landing above before a quick scan of the engine room shows another clear room. They take cover there until next turn and still no alien movement occurs. In the next X-Com turn, Jean and Juan move back onto the landing and secure the 2 doors into the main room of the sub.
Posted Image

Jean opens her door to be confronted with a seemingly unarmed gillman so she shoots it in the back and encounters no further hostiles in the left-side of the USO. Juan meanwhile is greeted by three Gillmen in the right-side and one with a sonic cannon is facing him... Met with a choice between a grenade to guarantee 'job done' but risk reaction fire and a snap shot at the cannon wielder which could fail and also trigger reaction fire, Juan primes his pulser. The last thing he sees as his internal organs are dissolved are the remains of his opponents spattered across the walls.
Posted Image

Jacqueline moves into the sub to replace Juan and continues to sweep the smaller rooms in the bow with Jean. As Jean comes face to face with a target, Jacqueline puts a flanking manoeuvre into action and zaps him in the spine.
Posted Image

Next turn Jean spots another gillman in the mainroom through the previously destroyed doorway. When an aimed shot fails to bring the beast down she falls to reaction fire herself and Jacqueline narrowly escapes the blast from her pre-primed pulser.
Posted Image

Jacqueline, now feeling very lonely, moves back to the main room and spots a torepo wielding gillman above her so she pops it's head off with an aimed shot and moves up the stairs to the top level, hoping to get the drop on Jean's killer.
Posted Image

Edging her way slowly along the elevated platform, she knows there's an alien below her but can't get a clear arc for a grenade. A few more stps see a pulser dropped right beside the creatures last known position and a scream at the end of the turn confirms a kill. The mission doesn't end however and few hiding places remain... Jacqueline nervously descends into the right-side room and confirms her kill, only to be faced with another weaponless Gillman. A quick snapshot puts it down and ends the mission.
Posted Image

Not as good as Silencer's work but still an acceptable score!
Posted Image

Here's the file for whoever is next.
Game 1.zip

#35 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

And the duty calls once again.

First step - sell some junk, second step hire more soldiers (7) to have pretty round number of 30.

After a while a very small scout re-aperd on sonar, so Barracuda-1 was lunch to intercept and destroyed it.

Later I have browsed some graphs - nothing special - just increased activity at north sea - figures there is a colony there. Seeing that we have plenty of cash I got little careless - by the end of month nothing happens - some resarch finished, some buildings done.

The scientists gave us the report about M.C.Lab, so after that I put 2 in HQ, and started to research ION Navigation, that was resaerched quickly. After the Living quaters were done I hired 10 more engineers to later that I made a mistake by this (oh well you can yell at me). Increased Aqua Armor to total of 20 of the original production.

geoscape_004.png

New month, new buildings in both bases living quaters and sub pen at base 2 and lab at hq. I swiftly hired 50 more scientist but for my carelessness I hired them at base 2. God damn it - oh well I can still transfer them - but I forgot that I hired 10 technicians. Fixing mistake I ordered another living quaters and general store in HQ (current stores are full or maybe that tank fills them).

Time passes resaerch is done and we have MAG Ion Armor. Swiftly I order our technicians to manufacture 20. We have plenty of zerbite (500) - so it is more than enough.  After the mag ion armor I ordered the transmission resolver.

Soon after a small sub apeared.

geoscape_005.png

Swiftly sending barracuda it manages to catch up and down it. Because downed subs have the privilage of not missing too fast I fast forward so the mission could be made in daylight. Luckly 1 Mag Ion armor was manufactured and our brave commander now acts like tank himself.

In to the fray men!.

The Triton has arrived at the crime scene. Men are armed and the battle begins. Tank begins to search the region (we are at south-west corner). First steps - nothing, then our commander leaves one step and starts to 'fly'.  End turn - nothing.

I ordered the tank to go east and the horror:

tactical_082.png

Yes it is a lobsterman. The adrenaline of our man rised to high levels. Our commander wielding Sonic Cannon - aims, shoots, hits - the bugger is alive - god their tough. Following shot from another Sonic Cannon - 94% aimed shot - hit - stil lives - what the hell that is one mean lobsterman. And another salvos from blasta rifles - plenty of misses 2 hits and its down. Killer - Louis. End Turn. No new sightings.
tactical_083.png

Next turn - the tank faces north and another creep hiding behind a hill
tactical_084.png

Yet again our soldiers  fire at bastard and finally Miguel kills him (out of 10 soldiers, the 7th one scored the kill). End turn and oh no - retribution some alien threw a grande under the tank blowing him to bits
tactical_085.png

Our turn - commander moves ahead and spots the murderer:
tactical_086.png

And once again salvos of sonic fire and we kill him. End turn - nothing. Commander moves again and a lobsterman decides to reaction fire at him hitting in left arm. Fortunetly it is jut a flesh wound - thank god for Ion Armor.
tactical_087.png

Commander turns and spots him

tactical_088.png

And again salvos from soldiers to bring him down. End turn - nothing. Not to risk commander further rest of them men start to spread out. But soon Louis got hit in chest from another lobsterman just north of our position. Lucky bastard survived without a scratch, but the hit make him so shaky that his two 50% snap shots missed completly.

tactical_090.png

Another cannonade with some frag tossing ended the buggers life.  Still no end of them. So the only option he must be in the sub. Soldiers were ordered to rally at the sub eneterance and behold the final target:

tactical_091.png

Because we don't stand a chance against a lobsterman in clear shootout - not in aqua armor at least, we naded him and he felt unconcious.

Victory:
geoscape_006.png

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   18.12K   184 downloads

40 of 50 scientist are in transit (10 remain until living quarters are made). Also Barra 1 is 'out of ammo' ordered 10  torpedos so if they arrive lunch and return barra-1 to rearm
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 Grossbeer

Grossbeer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

Here we go sorry for the delay:

After selling stuff I reequipped the triton with more sonic Cannons (10 cannons 4 balstas), guessing we are facing lobsters next.

Time passes and research gets done. I didnt bother building a sonar at the second base as trans mission resolvers are reasearched quickly. Buld one at the 2nd base and ordered dups and a barracuda there. As some buildings await finishing at the main base (dont want to screw up our choke points) AND not having enough money for a 2nd one at the main base i dintn build the Trans resolver just yet.

I went to Sonic Oscis after that.
Sonn a small USO appeared:
geo1.jpg
failing to let it land i shot it down and started the mission.

#37 Grossbeer

Grossbeer

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

here we go: teh main force is already equipped with mag ion armor, the rest aua plastics.
  after exiting and floating we spot 3 aliens in the dark:
  tac1.jpg
  not knowing what they are i threw 1 sonic pulser. none dead, this   problably mean we face lobsters. i threw 4 more but none kill anything   (even tho i threw it exactly on the lobsters 2 each)
  as we spread out we finally got a line of fire one one of the lobsters   with sonic pistol in his claw. 4 ppl shoot and 2 hit, the sonic cannon   finished it off ( with 39% chance to hit btw ^^):
  tac2.jpg
  soon we spot the next one near the triton.
  after throwing 2 more nades on it and it STILL stands around i descided   its time to spread out even more to get those Sonic cannons a lil more   into action. After some maneuvering we sonic cannon it out of the battle   (it only STUNNED! 2 sonic pulser PLUS one direct hit from behind and   its just stunned? DUDE!):
  tac3.jpg
  The next alien was a little more off the triton so we can position our flyers onto the triton to have a nice lil vantage point:
  tac4.jpg
  We shoot SEVEN times where only 2 missed. The 5th shot finally killed it:
  tac5.jpg
  next we manned our triton tower with lotso flyers as the LZ is   considered safe. after spreading out our plasic guys we spot the USO:
  tac6.jpg
  After closing in to the USO and positioning some on the roof and some to the side, we spot the next Lobster.
  Having TU full snipers all over the map we down the bugger with 3 fine sonic cannon shots. the next is not far away:
  tac8.jpg
  we poked it with another 3 fine placed shots and kill it. the next step our scou takes reveals yet another enemy in that area:
  tac9.jpg
  We burn the rest of our TU (mostly Blasta rifles) and stun it with 2   blaster shots (!). 3 Lobsters down in one turn... not bad for only Sonic   cannons/rifles.
  Earlier we saw something move inside the sub, but before entering we let our master scout walk some more steps and voila:
  tac10.jpg
  Having now fresh TU i figured our sniper will handle it perfectly and as a matter of fact with ONE shot only. The snipers name:
  Tracy Moreland.
  Finally we destroyed that lobsternest and we enter the sub with a plasic   dude from one of them holes. nothing. One of our MAG IONS dudes entered   from the roof and spotted the hopefully last alien:
  tac11.jpg
  sadly our aqua plasic soldier cant just fly away (or run away for that   matter as he has no TUs left... stupid) he got bombed by a pulser:
    tac12.jpg
  But soon after some sonic blasters and cannon shots it finally went down and the mission was a success:
  geo2.jpg
  For the next commander:
  dont forget to build Transm resover in 4 days (as the gen stores finish then:
  geo3.jpg
  )

here is the save: http://rapidshare.co...4594/GAME_1.rar

videos:
pt 1:
pt 2:
pt 3:
pt 4:
  greez

#38 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Geoscape part:

Firstly, I reviewed everything going on - research, production, stock. A few extra corpses are sold, and more dye grenades are bought, and a soldier was hired to replace the latest casualty.

Shortly afterwards, a very small USO appears, and it is quickly intercepted and destroyed by Barracuda 3. All of the supplies arrive. The trooper also arrives but it is just a weak one. "More cannon fodder", the commander mumbled to himself.

geoscape_005.png

Research on the Sonic Pistol is completed, and started research on the Sonic Pistol clip so that one of the troopers can go all grenades and pistols in future missions. A transmission resolver began construction on the main base, and cash gets below the million mark, so it means we either need to be more conservative in expenses or just sell some extra stock to get more cash.

The second MC Lab construction is completed. Magnetic Ion Armour production is also completed, the engineers switched to produce more Aqua Plastics since the supply is low on them.

Sonic Pistol ammo research is completed, and the scientists are now focused on researching Zrbite.

Another small USO is detected, which is then intercepted by Barracuda 1, as Barracuda 3 was refueling after conducting patrols near the alien colony, trying to discover any supply vessels that might be nearby. After
USO 22 is downed, the Triton is dispatched to salvage any remains.

geoscape_008.png

Tactical part:

The troops start rearming, however, it looks like the commander forgot to bring 14 guns instead of 10 :laugh: anyways, the last four troopers were instantly promoted to grenadiers and will fetch some rifles from the alien corpses if needed.

On the first turn all the troops prime their grenades, and the first dye is thrown off outside of the craft.

Once the troops start deployment, the first lobsterman is spotted on the horizon. Two grenades are quickly thrown behind it (The commander will be happy, since he will have Lobsterman for breakfast :oh:). The grenades explode, but the alien goes on patrolling as if nothing had happened. 5 aimed shoots later, the lobsterman meets his maker, Samuel making the killing shot.

tactical_000.png

More movement is detected on the same direction were the previous alien was. Yuri takes a look, and 2 more aliens stand next to the corpse. The troops resume fire.

tactical_003.png

Fortunately, these aliens are facing their back, thus making it easier to get them, both of them died after 2 aimed shots each instead of 4.

More alien movement is seen, this time near the darkness in the horizon. A fourth alien is spotted near the other 3 corpses. Even though he was on its back, it still required 3-4 shots to be killed.

tactical_005.png

Even more movement is detected again near the rest of the corpses, no doubt the aliens are sending them one by one to investigate what is happening to their other comrades. A short game of hide and seek develops, but the alien is put to sleep after a couple of well placed shots by Henry and Samuel.

tactical_006.png

The alien ship can also be seen now, however it looks more like a wreckage than a functional ship.

The troops slowly begin to make the deployment circlebigger, and an alien is seen near a coral reef. Samuel gets it after 2 shots. Rodreigo's head was almost shaved after a near miss from a sonic shot came from the east.

tactical_008.png tactical_009.png

Tracy got the alien though, so no worries yet. However, that was the last alien since the mission ended afterwards:

geoscape_009.png

Game for the next commander:

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   20.38K   86 downloads

#39 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

We've got very little money. I sold a few more corpses but it may soon be time for someone to take a serious look at the stores and start turfing stuff out, assuming anyone actually wants to spend some cash. On the bright side, our monthly income still hasn't been overwhelmed yet (funding - costs = about a million bucks in our favour), so we don't need to worry about it as yet. Suspect we won't ever need to, if things keep up as they are.

I noticed the lab only had 90 scientists working away, and a check of the base stats indicated it was probably about time to send those other 10 over. They quickly arrived and finally got to work, the slackers.

Armour has been passed out to all units. I assigned all the rookies to the Triton and added enough sonic cannons to arm the entire squad. The ammo reserves are getting a bit low - I only had enough for one clip per unit with one to spare, though the way I figure it, the aliens are probably getting ready to drop the use of rifles soon anyway.

A very small USO appeared but ran off before I could get any shots at it. Another small craft arrived and that time a barracuda reached it - it proved to be a Cruiser. The 'cudda fired off its entire DUP complement before running out of ammo and returning to base. Whoops, I forgot our craft were armed with those things; so I sent out the other interception ship and the enemy went down (luckily it decided to head back towards our base).

This left us out of DUPs, so I sunk a bit of cash into those. While waiting for dawn our Zrbite research completed. I decided to go with the MC Reader next; having a couple of guys sitting in the Triton with those things will take some of the guess work out of battles (much safer shooting aliens at close range if they don't have the TUs to react - it's all well and good in open terrain where we can snipe, but things will get a bit dicey when we have to fight in bases), and we'll need it for the rest of the MC tree anyways.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_01.png

On to the battle; I've landed in the very south-west-most corner. This here is Yuri. He's just been shot in the face twice with a sonic rifle wielded by a lobsterman. I don't think he noticed, though.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_02.png

Once that one's gunned down, another enemy is found on a hill to the NE of the Triton. Half the squad shoots at (and mostly misses) it, but it eventually falls unconscious.

Yuri heads north and takes another two rifle shots without injury. The offender also bites the sand, and he continues northwards; yet another alien throws a grenade at him, but misses by about, oh, say, a screen.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_03.png

Samuel Kemp is sent along the south edge of the map. I'm not really expecting to find much there, but during the alien's turn the rock I had him hide behind gets vapourised. Hmm, can you have vapour under water? Not sure what term I'm looking for here...

I'm mainly using aimed shots, and it's seldom a trooper can move and fire while using sonic cannons. I decide to throw caution to the wind on the basis that I'm not likely to win this battle with single reaction shots on occasion, and order a bunch of soldiers to spread out across the map area, leaving no TUs in reserve.

I decide to simply move Yuri behind a nearby rock and have him kneel, feeling he's used up all his luck for the mission. On ending turn, he promptly spots and one-shots another lobsterman; this one was carrying a sonic cannon. Its buddy appears next to it but is obviously as surprised as I am, and forgets to fire back.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_04.png

More of my troopers move in that direction and yet another alien is discovered. I manage to take out one, but things are starting to get a bit too spread out and sniping is starting to look dangerous (my units are decidedly between the snipers and their targets); however, at this point I remembered my soldiers had finally heard of this "swimming" thing and so I had them ascend. The entire squad use their available TU reserves but still fail to take out the target, though one manages to get a shot within about five tiles of Yuri (or fifteen tiles away from the alien, to put that in perspective).

During the alien's turn it decides to retaliate with a valiant retreating maneuver.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_05.png

I find the USO to the NE of the Triton, engines have blown up. Samuel's continued scouting along the south edge "reveals" an alien in an area he can't actually see - Carlos attacks the darkness and wins.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_06.png tftdmulti_bbturn04_07.png g]

Turn ends with no visible alien movement, Klaus leap-frogs Yuri to the north and finds yet another group of aliens there, who also fall to the snipers back at the Triton. I can't go any further north at this point.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_08.png

I spend some time creating a proper elevated firing line and start moving soldiers onto the roof of the Cruiser (why sit to the sides of the door when I can stand completely behind it?). It's all pointless though, as Samuel finds yet another alien to the south (again, the snipers back at the Triton do all the actual work) and the mission suddenly ends.

tftdmulti_bbturn04_09.png tftdmulti_bbturn04_10.png g]tftdmulti_bbturn04_11.png

Apparently there's not enough gear to re-equip the Triton, guess we may have to start moving back to blasta-rifles again.  :laugh:

Attached File  GAME_1.zip   18.54K   121 downloads

#40 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:13 AM

Geoscape segment:

My accompaniment for today is an Unreal UMX Mod file called "Hong Kong Streets", from the same mission in Deus Ex. Great for lobster stir-fry.

Starting off with the normal every day stuff. Research, stores, etc.

In the labs I started all the new research topics so that I can sell off the spares to raise some funds. I found it quite interesting that there's another Deep-One Terrorist available for research. Quite rare to get a second one, but we better not look a gift-horse in the mouth. Might come in handy later on.

In the stores, I get together with the quartermaster and we sell some excess equipment and raised $100k in spare funds. I ended up selling a few of the disrupter pulse launchers. We don't have the ammo to warrant having too many launchers at present, so 1 will do. We'll get a few more in due course. We're actually very good on our sonic ammo and sonic pulser supply in general to last us through a couple of missions.

While selling I noticed we had 70 chemical flares. Misclick perhaps? Don't think we need that many if we use them smartly, so I reduced the number down to 15.

I order a few sundry items for the single Gas Cannon. Obsolete though it may be vs. Lobstermen, the explosive and phosphor rounds do offer some practical uses on land.

Back to the Geoscape, I had a niggling feeling there were more bases out there so I sent both Barracudas out to scout along the edge of the African coast for a few hours. Since we're only minutes past from the last mission I don't expect any enemy activity too soon. My worries cast aside, I let the Barracudas head home after a few hours.

With the last batch of aqua plastics production done I put in a request for one suit of Ion Armor for personal use. Due to our low state of funds I decide not to manufacture anything else after that's done.

I decide to do a bit more stock management and sell a few spare Sonic Cannons and top up the DUP Head Torpedoes on top of the previous order. Might be unnecessary once the Sonic Oscillators are around, but they'll still be useful.

Things look like they're going very well so far, so I let time cruise by for a day when...

geoscape_000.png

Talk about intense pressure! This could make or break the whole game and we don't have the cash to set up another Triton at Base 2, hire a crew or buy new equipment.

I do what I can rearming the troops as necessary. Due to the item spawn limitation, there aren't enough sonic cannon rounds generated to be able to arm everyone with the cannons, and there are only a handful of Sonic Pulsers. I'm really glad there are some Blasta-Rifles and Sonic-Pistols on hand and what we lack in firepower we can make up with numbers - there are LOTS of aquanauts.

I'll continue the mission later - but on the brief glimpse of the map before I saved the game I saw a lobsterman in the halls. That's a good sign because it means it won't be an MC fight, and since we're fighting on home turf with the map revealed, any Biodrones on the map will be clearly visible to see.

Wish me luck folks!  

- NKF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users