Antiquarians scenario

Space Voyager

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worlds flourished, as did trust and understanding among those who shared them.

I'm not sure this scenario promises years of peace... With the scream at the end and all the deep scan ships'n'stations being destroyed, rendering us blind, an era of utter horror is announced. Suul'ka (SotS][) are coming!

wooooo! Easy enough, minus the hiccup with the AI! :laugh:

Yes yes, it was normal difficulty. :oh: As I wrote at the beginning this AAR was started to present the scenario and the ending in particular, so I wasn't able to afford much gamble with hard AI.

Nice AAR, SV.

Just 2 questions :

1. I was under the impression that you were very close to defeat? Was it really like that or I just have misuderstood your reports?

Thanks!

Close to defeat is a relative term and involves a lot of "ifs".

Soon after the start I was at war with all neighbours except Morrigi. The empire's budget was completely empty and we operated in red numbers for half of the game. If Morrigi decided to attack me at that time, I wouldn't be able to resist.

When things looked better and better the AI happened and I needed all ships there. If Hivers were more active against us at that time, the empire could tumble.

If Liir went for dreadnoughts sooner (they researched practically all antimatter toys before that) our fleets wouldn't stand a chance. We never faced any all-dreadnought fleets but the dreads we did see were devastating. Our superiority in numbers and income saved us from them.

The AI alone could (probably would) destroy us if I didn't go for the tactic I don't normally use; cruiser fleets armed with mass drivers or AP rounds sent to practically all their worlds to pulverise their infrastructure. Against other races you could also add missiles to destroy climate hazard as well...

Otherwise we were never on the brink of destruction like having only two colonies left or something.

2. When will next AAR start? :oh::laugh:

I doubt I'll start another one in SotS1. I also doubt I'll be able to resist it in SotS2 though, considering I get my comp to DX10.

• 3 weeks later...

Great TAR! Especially the videos, other TAR's lack them so much!

There's one thing I don't understand though. At the start of the TAR you say you don't want too big of a challenge and use a Normal AI (It's true that Antiquarians scenario is VERY hard with Humans, due to starting position and crappy node lines. I've tried once on Hard and failed.)

But then you proceed to do everything to make your life harder! You attack the Zuul (which have a crappy CH). And after dealing with them, you release the AI in the now empty (so perfect for them) formerly Zuul space...

But then you proceed to do everything to make your life harder! You attack the Zuul (which have a crappy CH). And after dealing with them, you release the AI in the now empty (so perfect for them) formerly Zuul space...

Welcome, BlueTemplar! And thanks! I didn't know anybody from Kerberos' forums read this AAR.

I attacked the Zuul because little else is usually an option with them (and some minor role-play elements involved). I did think I wouldn't need to wage war on so many fronts at that time though... I hoped for good relations with Tarka in particular so that we would perhaps tackle the much stronger Morrigi together. As ZedF once posted at Kerberos' forums, no plan survives contact with the enemy, especially mine. :)

But the AI was not "released" anywhere. I did not plan for it like I did in a former AAR. It just... decided to come. :) This was the first time after at least 10 games where this did not happen, I paid no real thought to that possibility since I did not throw any extra money into the research, I just had it on near max. So much for my well thought out planning. :)

It did bring a side effect though - all the previously Zuul high CH worlds were instantly terraformed to our ideal CH, as the AI was Human. So after taking the former Zuul space back (which was fast) those colonies were able to grow in ideal conditions. No replacement for formerly completely developed worlds and trade routes but hey, a man takes what he can get, he he he!

But now that I see the AAR ending again, I realized there is an important picture missing, the one after the ending vid! Damn, that info is crucial to the scenario and what it means!

• 3 months later...
Finally I got around to experiment some more with codecs and found one that converts from .bik to .avi pretty nicely. So I have converted the ending vid again, this time there are no blueish ghosts. I edited the scenario ending post, but if you don't want to wait for the page to load with all the pics, here is a
, too.