TFTD Multiplayer Story

Grossbeer

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome along CP! Grossbeer, maybe we can try FRAPS. I've come across it before but I'm not sure if it'll work for everyone as I don't know how people are running the game, compatability mode, DOSBOX or on an old system like me.

I'd suggest someone who cn play the game right now downloads it and has a try, I'll be putting the lappy back today fingers crossed but I need a USB stick before I can transfer any data across.

I used Dosbox too to record the first chapter, tho i noticed something:

when recording and simutaniously taking a screenshot, the video will go async with the audio.

i wthink i will only capture frames from the recorded video from now on.

@CP yeah its vanilla... easier that way so we wont have to agree on 100 of settings in xcomutil :-) (tho i love nearly every option in it)

greez

What about me guys? I'll be using a standard install of the game on an old Win 98 system with no modifications and no internet connection. The whole reason I bought the lappy is so I don't need DOSBOX so I'll be damned if I'm using that lol

I doubt that laptop has enough horsepower to run DOSBox. Actually, I doubt it's fast enough to run any screen recording software in conjunction with the game, full stop. You might be able to get away with FRAPS (I suspect older versions will provide better performance on older machines, though I could be wrong), but it might be that you need to stick with screen shots.

I'll stick to screenshots - if I go with videos I'd first need a faster connection, and I'd want to go all out with overlaying a voice track over the video to explain everything, edit the boring bits out, throw in scene transitions and other bells and whistles too. Then there's stuff about finding a good codec. Of course I haven't a single clue how to do any of that or where to start, so uh, yeah. ;)

But that raises a question, where do we stick the screenshots?

Veteran: If you're running Win 98 and the game without Dosbox, you've still got Ye-Olde Methyde O' Captyring Screenshottes - with the Print-Screen key. While in the game, the print-screen key should save a double-sized copy of the console to the Windows clipboard.

Get Ifranview (https://www.irfanview.com ). Just open it up and go to edit and paste. Go to Image then Decrease Color Depth and make sure it's set to 256 colors. Then File/Save as. Save it as a PNG file and bam, you've got your screenshot ready to be uploaded. You can go a bit fancy and get the PNGOUT plugin to make even smaller files.

- NKF

I guess maybe I'll just take screenies then ;) Lots of Alt-Tabbing in my future then is it? Can I play windowed?

And yes that's a very good question, where do we upload the pics? How about we start up a photobucket or similar account for the purpose of just this venture. So we can all access it to upload and link to but nothing else is upped there but this game?

Oh and I still don't have a copy of TFTD which could pose a problem. Presumably I can download it from somewhere for now can I? Will be Ebayin' me a proper copy once the lappy is back together though as I have a thing for big boxes ;) And the good news is I test fired the lappy in her new clothes yesterday and it still works ;) Should have some more piccies to share soon!

Hya guys good seeing that the coop works so far :-)

@Bomb bloke:

Nice one 4 rookies for a landed crusier is a good trade in my eyes gj

@NKF

no worries shit does happen, especially on these maps u got. i was lucky on the first mission, tho at daylight my map would have been terrible to play.

to the things u guys noted:

i did sell the sub pen to relocate it to the to sub pen at the top. this is precaution measure to relocte the whole main abse to better defend it when it get attacked.

my layout would be:

SSSSSS

SSSSSS

XXAXXXX

OOOOO

OOOOO

S= Sub pen

X= nothing

A=Airlock

O= other stuff

I shouldnt have sold the barracuda tho ure right, and instead build the new sub pen first. Either way i dont think we do need 2 barras just now, as most of the time subs will outrun our barras anyways. but i admit it might have been a mistake :/.

reconstructing the base tho is important if we get attacked, as with the layout above its easier to defend.

To naming the soldiers: I think everyone can handle that as they like. so if veteran renames the forumnamed soldiers thats fine with me.

Or better: everyone does have only ONE life ^^ we got some members here... maby we just draft them and if they die they stay dead :-)

i think we should keep the name tags tho (/c=oward/m=marksman/r=reaction etc)

i do recording only with dosbox, load the screenies at photobucket and the vids at youtube.

@Veteran:

in my first mission i did hope for the best tho tried to get some loot in case my team got murdered. i do that often when the landing zone is clear (especially at terror sites) then i try to snach some dead aliens / equipment in case things go to hell. i have lost entire teams just fr opening a sub so i always plan for the worst too.

greez

Yeah I think I saw one of your guys with a corpse in their backpack at one point ;)

I totally get where you're coming from though. Just been playing a bit of EU on the lappy and after loads of successful missions I lost 3 men to a landed medium scout :s Only had 5 sectoids on the whole map and 4 of them were inside the ship! Lost one guy to a lucky shot from the one outside but imagine my surprise when I stepped into the UFO and saw 3 sectoids stood staring back at me :s Add to that my amazement when a fourth one popped up after killing the first one!

Nightmare, was lucky to only lose 2 troopers clearing the UFO really but the aliens were stupid so I shot most of them in the back haha

Anyway with regards to the play-through I'm ready for my turn but I need a few things, one of which requires me to leave the house gasp! I need to get hold of a copy of TFTD for starters and then I need to get it running on the lappy (preferably with some sort of screen-capture software) but before I can start anything I need to get me a USB stick so I can actually transfer things from this pc onto said lappy. I'm keeping it off networks and while IT has a floppy drive, this doesn't!

If you want to skip over the mission for now and keep things going I don't mind as I'm realistically looking at the weekend till I'm all sorted. I'll just get myself back into the list when I'm ready! But yeah I need to know where to download the game please! Also if someone has a spare copy they're selling I'll take it ;)

heheh yeah i know the feeling. in EU u need just more luck when entering UFOs ^^

Well i guess Crazy Photon can do the next mission then. We could just leave u out and as soon as ure rdy its your turn.

I will mark it in the main thread who had command and how often and who is next.

greez

Grossbeer, I've started embedding your files into your posts, for longterm safekeeping and so I can reduce the filesizes. ;) I'll see if I can do the videos when my monthly bandwidth cap ticks over. I've got a video of my own, but I'll need to re-encode it etc before uploading.

After finishing my turn last night, one of the many could-of's and should-of's that I thought about afterwards was that I probably should have waited until tonight to try the mission rather than race the clock before bedtime!

Uploaded my screens, but looks like I completely neglected to take any of the landing area (bar the overhead map shot) or the wreck where most of my aquanauts were. Was trying to only take the highlights what with most of the turns having not-a-lot happening. Oh well. ;)

- NKF

Ok I've asked enough times... This calls for drastic measures...

WHERE DO I GET A COPY OF TFTD SO I CAN JOIN IN THIS GAME?!?!?!?!

I have my flash drive and a nice new keyboard for the lappy so I'm ready to play. Please tell me where I can get a copy from though or I'm never going to be able to join in. I've asked over and over but noone has told me!

Best price on Ebay is

Easiest option may be to buy a downloadable copy off Steam. Vastly cheaper than buying a physical copy off eBay (though I'd still recommend getting one in the future!)

Steam uses its own program to launch the game, but in actual fact you can just locate where Steam stores the game and just literally copy the whole directory onto your USB drive to transfer to your laptop. It should already be updated to v2.0 but couldn't hurt to reapply the patch.

I don't use it myself so can't get into the particulars on how to sign up or whatnot, but https://store.steampowered.com/ might be a good lead.

- NKF