Finished Afterlight: It it worth going back to AM and AS

talon

I 've finished Afterlight and I consider going back and playing aftermath and aftershock

Afterlight was the most advanced and polished and I'm wondering how I will react to the early versions

having played xcom apoc i really liked the real time combat

I prefer AS: Aftershock is more fun than AL, has a better gameplay than AM.

However it can crash sometimes (so, save often), and there are no vehicles (no AM planes nor AL truck).

But AM is some good too. So begin with it if you have time, as these games are long.

• 4 months later...

Aftershock is always going to have a special place in my heart for one simple reason: never have I felt so satisfied seeing a nicely trained team of alien-battering monster-stompers suddenly get handed modded weaponry. Sticking all the lovely extras on to your guns and then to actually see them in teh game environment AS WELL!

What can I say, it's like freakin' Christmas all over again, but with more death.

Aftermath is also a special place: It had been too long since we saw an isometric squad based strategy game and then along comes AM and they had taken all the best bits from XCOM APOC. and, well, polished that too!

To be fair, AL is a wonderful game and it provides a whole new perspective to the genre, but that's what they've done for all of the games - shown us another way. So if you're going back, go back and give them both a tumble and remember why this market needs MORE of the ISBSs - because there's NEVER ENOUGH OF THEM! :P

You might consider the total rebalance mode for AL it changes a lot.

Also I suggest the Impossible difficulty. I've done it few times, the game is a challenge mostly whole time, you must plan your research and production constantyl.

The mod I am talking about changes many things, makes game more difficult. Though on forum people claim that Impossible is realy impossible - trust me it can be beaten - you must find the right way of dealing with things.

Though I think that this mod never had full release and many 'feauters' aren't used.

All 3 UFOs have a serious flaw:

AM - late game alien PSI - purely destroys game experience - excluding that I think it was the best of the series.

AS - it has potential but there is something lacking there

AL - It is improvement over AS, but still some things should be done better - again Expedition Reticulans with their PSI are OP.