Steam and editing

endersblade

I just spent about 2 solid hours trying to edit TFTD for steam, and have run into a problem. I can't figure out which .exe steam/DOSBox runs!

I installed XcomUtil, and it created the geoscape and tactical.exe files in the main TFD folder. I had assumed these were the .exes it would use; apparently I was wrong. None of my changes took place when I launched the game from steam. If I launch the geoscape.exe (the one I edited) my edits work, but then I don't get the spiffy graphics upgrade from running it through DOSBox.. I've tried replacing Terror From the Deep.exe with my geoscape.exe, still no joy.

The only time I managed to get a ...change, I guess, is when I put the geoscape.exe in the UFOEXE folder. Clicked Play in Steam, DOSBox ran, on the XcomUtil menu I press 2 to run TFTD...and it crashes. I tried running the original geoscape.exe file from within the UFOEXE folder, and it pops up a message saying it can't run in a 64 bit environment (I'm on Vista 64).

I want the DOSbox graphic changes, I want my edited .exe, and I want to use the XcomUtil changes. What do I do?

The executable file in the main game directory will be for the Windows edition. The two split files that XComutil created are only used when you run the game with runxcomw.bat (note the w).

The files in the ufoexe and ufo2exe folders are for the dos edition of the game. They shouldn't be run directly as each one is only half of the program. Instead these files are called by terror.com or after you've installed Xcomutil, through runxcom.bat (without the w).

If Steam launches Dosbox and automatically loads the game. What you need to do is point Dosbox to the runxcom.bat file instead of terror.com.

- NKF

If Steam launches Dosbox and automatically loads the game. What you need to do is point Dosbox to the runxcom.bat file instead of terror.com.

- NKF

Thanks for the quick reply :-)

How do I do that? Far as I know, the DOSBox that comes with the steam version is automatically setup to run X-COM...you can't edit it at all. (at least, clicking on the DOSBox.exe does nothing but load up X-COM.)

How do I do that? Far as I know, the DOSBox that comes with the steam version is automatically setup to run X-COM...you can't edit it at all. (at least, clicking on the DOSBox.exe does nothing but load up X-COM.)

The DOSBox does that because it has a script that it follows when it runs. You can delete the file, or edit it and have it not actually run the bat file for TFTD. Or, you can install another copy of DOSBox and run that instead.

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

I think the file is called "TFTD.conf" for the version that came with steam's TFTD. It should either be in the TFD directory, or the DOSBox directory.

The DOSBox does that because it has a script that it follows when it runs. You can delete the file, or edit it and have it not actually run the bat file for TFTD. Or, you can install another copy of DOSBox and run that instead.

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

I think the file is called "TFTD.conf" for the version that came with steam's TFTD. It should either be in the TFD directory, or the DOSBox directory.

Wow. I thought I'd been all through that file. Turns out what I needed was at the bottom of it lol. It's Dosbox.conf, and it's in the folder that the TFD folder is in.

It runs terror.bat, which in turn runs RunXcom.bat. I opened that one in Notepad++, and it seems it calls on the DOS-version of geoscape.exe and not the one I edited >.>

Thanks for the help. It was bothering me that I couldn't figure that out. I edited the DOS geoscape.exe, and everything's running perfectly fine.