When you come uninvited. LZ story continues

rocksk

In XCOM1, Alien base missions are more or less enjoyable, but in terror, it is terrible. :(

Last night, i got to try out an attack on alien base, here are the description. :)

Date: 3 days into March after an alien swarm landed and build and alien base beside my HQ. Swarm consists of 1 VeryBig + 2 Supply + 2 Cruisers.

Interceptions knock out the 2 Cruiser and damaged a supply ship.

Battles beforehand mission.

1 ground attack on Very Big

1 ground attack on Supply

2 recovery mission on 2 cruisers

Base attack mission

My Team

10 men

1 super Xcomutil solid harpoon tank = armor 130 all round.

Level = Superman.

Team breakdown.

6 high PSI troops 70 and above

1 medium PSI 60 to 70

3 weak PSI 59 and below.

Weapons

5 Heavy modified Guass Mini Cannons. Sound = ZOOMM ZOOMM

Modification

Accuracy = Auto 40% Snap 60% Aim 110%

Time = 15% 33% 80%

Damage = 100

5 Guass Sniper Rifles. Sound = zoomm

Modification

Accuracy = Auto 60% Snap 80% Aim 120%

Time = Same

Damage = 80

10 Particle Disturbance Grenade

2 Magna-Pack SUPER Explosive PACK Damage 250.

3 Medi-Kit

Battle Started.

Battle Zone very dark even during day time, Ohhh.. did not bring Chemical-Flare.

:)

{I planned to explore a bit before deciding on either attack or retreating.}Turn 1

Tank Roll out to scout inviting a react fire (ZAP) from a nearby alien. Damage 15%

ZAP = Sonic Cannon

Spotted jelly fish east of LZ.

Spotted Lizard North of LZ

Spotted jelly fish farther North of LZ.

LZ seems to at SE edge of map.

Tank parked near north lizardman.

Troops deploy around LZ in groups

2 High PSI troops attack and got killed by reaction fire from Lizardman.

Lizardman killed ( ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM) H gauss Auto fire

by third troop

East jellyfish killed ( zoomm zoom zoomm ZOOMM ZOOMM SQUAK)

North jellyfish killed. ( ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM SQUAK) H gauss Auto fire

SQUAK = jellyfish become cooked and ready to eat. :inlove: Roosted jellyfish anyone??

Turn 2

Tank scouted north bases entrance :)

Door opened, (ZAP ZAP ZAP). Reaction fire!

1 Lizardman spotted inside entrances. Tank damage 45%

Troops fired into the entrances

1 lizardman gauss by heavy gauss cannon. (ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM ZOOMM) after wasting many rounds. :)

Tank explores west of LZ, spotted another base entrance.

And retreat north.

Turn 3

Troops station at LZ while :spam: patrol between north of LZ and West of LZ. { I planned to play camping since I did not bring chemical flare. Thinking of chick off if things turn bad}

Hidden movement

(flofff..) Something white seems to land in the middle of my deployed troops.

(Crrr rBBOOOoommMMMMMM)

5 high PSI troops killed,

1 medium PSI killed,

1 low PSI killed

Body scattered around explored LZ. { AND I though hiding behind the ship is safe.}

Turn 4

1 low PSI panicked at deployed LZ

1 low PSI panicked inside ship

Both become chicken and rooted to the ground. Water wetting their underwear. :) inside their wet suit. :tank:

{Where did that Grenade came from?? I though I had covered the West and North of LZ}

{:crazy: Ahhhh…. … how could this happened pulling out “hair”..

oohh just got hair cut.

Hair too short to pull}

:dontgetit:

:spam: roll South West

1 lizardman spotted Southwest of LZ {This sneaky lizard walked near the side of the map and throw a grenade} AND My guys did not even spot it coming?}

1 floating brain spotted Southwest of LZ

(~ZAP~.~ZAP~) Low PSI guy outside got mind ZAPPed. Molecular is in controlled. This guy was last seen running towards the floating brain. :hmmm:

Turn 5

Low PSI guy inside the ship prayed that the door of the ship will closed. Too bad it cannot. So he can only watch the door in fear.

Tank fired 3 shots at brain. Missed!!!

1 alien control troop spotted beside floating brain.?? {What is it up to??} :)

Hidden movement.

Floating brain turn troop into zombie!! {What!! Chryssalid in terror of the deep!!!} :o

Then it decides to eat metal and attacked tank. {mmm.. must have tasted horrible}

0% damage done. :tank:

1 new lizardman spotted west of LZ,

1 new brain spotted west of LZ

{I am getting swarmed}

Turn 6

Low PSI guy could only looked at body his fellow cry. (panicky again)

Tank fire 1 shot at point blank and kill Floating_Zombie_Turning_BRAIN to a pile of pig brain soup.

Tank retreaT away from zombie.

Hidden movement

Grenade_Throwing_Lizard spotted walking by the transport door. {mmm… sneaking again}

Zombie speeded toward the tank and hammer it with bare super powered hand.

(BANG BANG BANG!!!)

Zombie decided to reshape my tank into a Ford sports car!. But the tank turned into a pile of scrap metal instead. :P

Turn 7

Low PSI guy fire auto at Grenade lizardman. (zoomm zoomm zoomm zoomm zoomm zoomm)

1 lizardman cooked for dinner. Africa BBQ lizard tasted like chicken. White meat.

{I decided to apply the last of the 36 chinese tactial tricks.

If you cannot win, run as fast as possible}

So I RUNNNNNN>>>>>> VERY FAST!!!}

Mission summary

9 Troop killed

1 tank destroyed

2 lizard cooked

2 jellyfish cooked

1 pig brain boiled

Mission FAILED.

This teach me to bring some lights to place where it is dark. OR else you hit your nose on the door.

Also spread out is better then hidding behind a Tin Can (transport)

:crazy: :crazy:

actually....if u are a skilled veteran at this game...u would never need the chemical flares at all...even at a dark area u wanna avoid being detected at all costs to get inside a base...in order to pass up with a lower chance of detection, u wanna bring a huge supply of those cheap dye grenades....in order to improve avoiding detection, u must be detected....it might be good bring one or two chemical flares and load them on a rookie u don't mind losing...this is how i always infiltrate alien colonies (with minimum and even no losses) anyways...send your tank to do some recon and (i highly recomend this too) bring a lightly armed person that u don't mind sacrificing (hell...sometimes he does'nt even die) and have him loaded with a light but accurate weapon and a couple of chemical flares... next,move him and your tank towards and open areawhere they can be seen through the alien windows and have chemical flares tossed in that area (not too close to the base, but not too far either)and allow them to draw fire from the aliens...remember though that your chemical flare rookie better run his ass into a good sniping area to help cover the tank and avoid being seen (or else he may fall victim to molecular control) hopefully they might be able to pick off some of the enemy...while u have them in position bring out some troops loaded with dye grenades and begin tossing them in a very thick path towards the base wall...and while the turns end, keep them well hidden behind the ship facing all directions so that they are not spotted and fall victims to molecular control...when the dye has covered enough of the area...begin advancing your troop towards the wall...keep your tank drawing fire...(u might end up loosing him, but by the end of the colony battle...u'll have the money to buy another one)...while your men reach the walls advance those who have already made it there towards the nearest doors...u may have to toss some more dye grenades against the walls...but whatever u do, STICK TO THE WALLS...and avoid going too far in front of a window...stay underneath it if possible...as soon as u open the doors, prepare for a likely attack from the menace...raid the rooms in a 6 man assault team with three on each side of the door (and single file two three man lines) facing all directions of the room...open fire on anything that moves and keep a couple of guys in the back of the lines loaded with a good number of tu's so that when your turns are over, they will cover your other men....the other troops should stay at least one room behind the assault team (and make sure they gaurd the unopened doors too) as u advance closer to the base lift, see if u can get your tank and sniper rookie inside

(if they are not already dead from the fire draw) believe me...this is one of the most effective ways to get inside with very small losses...if u do it right....most of the time those alien bastards are'nt stupid enough to toss a sonic pulsar into a base room or entry room.....good hunting soldier!!!! :)

:)

ONE OF THE BEST WAYS FOR OTHERS TO NOT BE SEEN IS TO LET ONE BE SEEN!!!

Knight, your tactical sound good.

Fast insertion and destroy.

My tactical is the greedy version, kill all enemies by and pack them in my ship and go 2nd level. That is the plan anyway. Similar to your, I use the tank to spot or draw enemy fire. I preferred the spot and not get shot method. Then my guys will snipe the enemy from a farther.

The case above is a very fun, the AI can actually walk near the edge of the map to throw grenade. This is totally new experience. My tank actually covered most of the area in his patrol route. I guess it did not move enough south to spot that lizard.

AND the AI actual mind control one of my guys towards a brain looking thing and turn my guys to zombie the next turn. That is super AI or by chance. I believe it is by chances

thanks rocksk....if u need any advice on really good iniltration methods...ask me...i can definately keep your casualties low.....i've had so much practice that i just get bored now....i get in so easily without a problem that it just does'nt give me that challenge rush any more.....i'd like to help others get in the same way though....u guys might be able to bring me a challenge....no matter what skill level u got it at....

:alien2: nothing new to report...

:bomber: roger...

:alien2: nothing new to report...

:bomber: roger...

ZAP ZAP!!! RATATATATAT!!!! BOOOMMM!!! AAAAAAUUUGGHH!!!! BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!! POW!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAUUGGGHHH!!!!! DIIIEEE YOU BASTARDS!!!

:) c'mon...lets get the hell outta here!!! she's gonna blow!!!

:spam: right behind you!!!

:) move move move!!!

:) aaww....that was close...at least we're outta there....

:alien2: nothing new to report......

:alien2: sir?

:alien2: siiir?

:alien2: HEY SIIR!!!

:alien2: SSSIIIIRRR!!!!

:alien2: CENTRAL COMMAND? I HAVE A PROBLEM HERE....

:alien2: CENTRAL??? I REPEAT...I HAVE A SECURITY CHECK PROBLEM...OVER...

:alien2: CENTRAL...DO YOU COPY?

:alien2: hmmh....must be lunch hour......

I need to reply to this. Knowing my perchant to modify things, I prefer using gauss rifles on all missions, beyond when I get them. I modify them severly. I should, however, modify the heay gauss. Anyway, I usually shoot holes into someplaces, so that all my people, in Mag. Ion armour. Anyway, with them up in the water, not on the ground, I tend to shoot holes into the walls, sometimes. Anyway, I usually hit bases with 10 people, and one SWS. I like to use the gauss ones, as they can be used both on land and in water. I prefer weapons that can be used on both land and in sea. Also, I use teams of two, so that I may not exactly get hit by tentaculats. I hate them things, they can hit people anywhere, unlike Chrysallids. Anyway, back to hitting alien colonies, I usually pick up all the grenades I can, and as much stun stuff I can, if any alien carries them. Until I research DPL, and then pickup that ammo. And then start killing everything on the first level. The second level, I tend to be a bit more careful, and try to kill only what I don't know, or that I can't reach easily. Anyway, the Command Center is one the second level, and about in the middle, usually. It has two doors, one on either side of a set of steps. It has a bunch of the barriers around it. Then, inside, it has a door at the back. The device is in the middle of the room, and has a corkscrew looking thing in the middle of it, with a white thing in the middle of that.

i prefer the sonic blasta rifles....not the cannons.....the rifle is really accurate and light....plus when i hit lobster men with them....i don't have much of a problem putting them down...even on superhuman.....and the control room to a base is under ground....so i can't help u there....i'm just best at getting into the damn base without being seen, from the beginning of the mission......when inside, u must make strategies of your own...

Knight,

which floor is the control room for alien base in xcom2. what due it look like?

Top Floor

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/command2.gif

Middle Floor

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/command1.gif

Bottom Floor (control room)

https://bladefirelight.home.comcast.net/images/command0.gif

you need to destroy the thing in the center room. that room will have two Lobsterman Navigators and a Lobsterman Commander in it.. Armed to the teeth.

Using a DPL you can destroy it form the second floor through the little hole in the center.. but 'accidents' do happen

hope that helps

-Blade FireLight

hell...i don't go to destroy the divices ever....i always hunt down every living thing that stays in that base....but if there are two lobsters down in that room...instead of risking an accident with the hole on top idea....just go to the outter walls on the sides of that room with the divice, and place a magna pack (detonation pack) on each side of it....then do the same with the inner walls after the outter walls are destroyed (the explosion from the outter walls might take out the inner walls too)...the explosion will possibly drop the lobs..and take the divice out with it...if it does'nt....don't worry...cause the walls will come down...then u can light up those creeps with some auto fire and take the divice that way!!! make sure u put a good high number on those pack's primers...so that ur guys have enough time to get the hell out of the way...it's just that easy....

He properly changed the power of magna to 255.

I change it to 250,

have great fun blowing ufo up.

Image this, lobster's thinking this

1st second: bing, what that sound on the root, better check it out.

5th second: BOMMM.. lobsterman looks up, where is my roof??

6th second: tink tink tink, something is dropping through the big hole in the root, looks like a red silver thing. Mmm looks familiar, Yeh I had one in my pocket.

7th second: Koo Boooom

8th second: SOMEONE IS TRYING TO BBQ ME. ARRRGG time to shoot.

9th second: what is that yellow thing dropping through the root?

10th second: KKKooooOOOO bBBBBOOOOM. I am cooked and ready to server.

no....look......u see the area on the bottom floor that has the two walls surounding the divice?....take those walls out with magna packs.....doing it from the top is a way to get yourself killed (either by a lucky shot from the lobs, the roof colapsing and your guy may get vaporized by the explosion or end up falling into the room with the lobs and getting gang raped from there) it's easier just doing it at the bottom....

• 1 month later...

I remember my first base mission.

I killed the brains on the basis that they were psychic. I was glad to see that psychic aliens had no guns. I killed the Tasoth because they had guns, but left them till last 'cause they weren't psychic.

I said it was my first base mission. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/sarcastic.gif

Killed everything, for traditions sake, and moved down into the base. Met my first ever lobsterman. Shot it with gauss rifles (autofire, sonic's don't), and it lived. Emptied several clips into the thing. Decided that I wasn't going to kill much mre then that (out of ammo), swung the thing over one of my troops soldiers and started limping for the exit.

First time I took a base, walked down to the bottom floor and entered the control room (not knowing what it was, of course). Brought a troop up either side of the passages, walked into the final room. Saw three loby men, threw a grenade on the ornament in the middle.

This killed one loby man and informed me that I was now safe too leave. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/smile.gif

The other loby men, unarmed, couldn't keep up with my troops as they ran the hell out...

CHEATER!!! :)

I remember my first Lobsterman mission. I had gauss pistols. Didn't realize how tough those guys were. I had 14 men with 3 clips each and was going against a cruiser with about 8 aliens. I got slaughtered. I fired until I ran out of ammo then started with the grenades. Managed to kill about 5 of them and lost all but 4 of mine. As I was retreating, I managed to knock one out with a taser. I picked him up so the mission wouldn't be a total loss. Just before I got back to the ship, he woke up and killed the guy carrying him. I sent one of the other guys to stun him again. He got beside the alien but was a little short on TU's. He is killed. I abort with two soldiers, a pistol and two grenades.

That is not my first mission on Lobsterman, it is the first mission after many years.

My first mission with Lobsterman is a great battle in a harbor landscape. Grenades, rockets, heavy guass and even my kitchen sink is throw against those lobsterman leveling most of the building. I end up using stun rode at close range.

1. stun it.

2. grap his weapons.

3. grenade it.

Loss lots of men then. :angel:

These days, during those rare occasions where I stop and muddle around with TFTD for a few minutes, when I know I cannot take on the lobstermen (say I focused too much on getting Mag. Ion Armour to care about getting something strong enough to defeat lobstermen), I just cut my losses and abort the mission.

Aborting a mission is very humiliating at times, but it is often the most reasonable choice you can make under certain circumstances.

It's mostly to do with that "know yourself, know your enemy" bit that Sun Tzu talks about in "The Art of War". Good book to read. I recommend it for any X-Com player, even though a few chapters aren't exactly suitable for the X-Com games.

- NKF

P. S: As an aside: Surrendering a base that you know you cannot possibly save from the very beginning is the least costly method of losing it. Believe it or not, the mission will end with a score of 0 (and you lose the base, but at least you don't get penalised for it!). Get a positive score by killing some aliens before you surrender (just don't lose anyone). Hey, you lost the base. You might as well make the most of it and improve the area activity score a bit :). Don't do this if you've only got one base.

Am I the only real man here? https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif

I always use guass rifles, unmodded.

'Cause half the loby men have stun launchers, which they are stupid enough to use at close range. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/sarcastic.gif

And I bring a lance.