Front page reorganisation

NKF

Just moving part of the discussion here as I didn't want to clutter up the recents with this. It's easier to follow in forum format.

I've been staring at the game box art that Zombie scanned for the game data banks, and still can't decide how they are to look. Not so much the layout of whether to display them horizontally or vertically (We can sort that out easily enough), but more as to how to make composites of both the US/UK covers for each respective games.

How should they look? Should they just be shown side by side? Or slightly overlapping? I strongly feel that both box covers should be represented (even if they are just going to be scaled down).

edit:

Okay, so after staring at them some more, I think I came up with my own solution. Side by side would probably be the most elegant option (and make a relatively square icon). Probably go with UK first then US second since the UK covers tend to be the most internationally prominent of the two types.

That still leaves a few other minor issues to clear like the icon sizes to aim for. Either way I'll dust off the image editor and bash something together.

- NKF

And just for the record, have uploaded the first lot of images. Check them on the mock main page where the development is in progress:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Mock_main_page

Had the combined originals downscaled to 640px across, but the test samples I've uploaded have been scaled to 300px across. I already had to resize and crop some bits off the images to get the horizontal widths to match up - the vertical heights unfortunately do vary ever so slightly between the three images. More cropping along the verticals may be needed, but I'll worry about that later.

Are there any improvements that can be done to them? Like adding borders around them maybe?

For the horizontal layout that ufo_mesh suggested (which I think would work for the individual game tables), I think for those the easiest answer would be to stick to just one box version to be on the safe side.

- NKF

This was my comment:

I like it. I would like to see another version (just stick it below the current boxes I reckon) that has the boxes about a third smaller and is done over 3 columns instead. Taking a screen resolution of 1024x768 as a minimum (there are literally only 1-2% of folks who come here using less, and looking at the stats they're viewing on phones I reckon so the site is scaled down to fit anyway), you could safely design something that would fit in a table 816 pixels wide and it would display fine at that resolution and higher (just giving you an idea of minimum width, so each cell could be a minimum of 272 pixels wide, so your widest image in each column can be no larger than that).

which I forgot to add my signature to :P

Something like what you've done with the 3 columns might work well, with the game name above and a short intro below perhaps?

I will fire up Photoshop tonight and see what I can come up with. I said I would, it's just a case of remembering after a hard day at 'mill.