Silent Storm: Sentinels won't start at all

dickcheney

I have Windows 7 64-bit and an 8GB machine, with an ATI Radeon 5870.

This is why the original Silent Storm gave me the "unsupported video card" error.

I managed to fix that with some Googling and then this user-made patch (https://www.johannes-bauer.com/software/silentstorm/?menuid=6).

But now I am trying to get the Sentinels add-on to run and it gives me a different error. After clicking on the game executable, the Securom cursor pops up, I hear my CD spinning, and then everything just stops. No loading, no error messages.

The Task Manager shows Sentinels.exe appear, then disappear after a couple seconds.

I can't figure this one out. I have the original game CDs, I played this game fine years ago on an older PC, but this is now a state-of-the-art machine. It should definitely pass the Securom test (my Silent Storm CD passes its test).

Anyone got any ideas? Oh, I tried uninstalling VirtualCloneCD, which is the only software I have that Securom might have found objectionable. Made no difference.

I can't figure this one out. I have the original game CDs, I played this game fine years ago on an older PC, but this is now a state-of-the-art machine. It should definitely pass the Securom test (my Silent Storm CD passes its test).

Anyone got any ideas? Oh, I tried uninstalling VirtualCloneCD, which is the only software I have that Securom might have found objectionable. Made no difference.

I also have Imgburn and Nero installed, although neither program has any processes running in the background. It looks sort of like a Securom issue, in that the Securom "spinning CD" appears for 2 seconds, then disappears, and then nothing.

Quick update.

I uninstalled SS3 and reinstalled so I have version 1.0.

Now when I run, I get the same "unsupported video card" bug that I got with the original SS2.

Not sure how to get around this as the hexedit patch won't work with SS3, and I can't find the same hex offset to edit manually...

Anyone else have problem with SS3 and the video card bug, and a recent Radeon (5800 series) card?

• 6 months later...
Quick update.

I uninstalled SS3 and reinstalled so I have version 1.0.

Now when I run, I get the same "unsupported video card" bug that I got with the original SS2.

Not sure how to get around this as the hexedit patch won't work with SS3, and I can't find the same hex offset to edit manually...

Anyone else have problem with SS3 and the video card bug, and a recent Radeon (5800 series) card?

Posted this also on another threads.

Found out that the hex fix works for patched (1.1) & cracked Sentinels, the offset is just different.

I searched for the phrase "3B C7 74 2E" and it was at "1e10" in hexedit. Changed 74 to EB and it works!

I know that this is a future hope, but If I remember right Nvidia plans to add emulation of its video cards to Virtual Machinse. That would mean if we lunch XP Mode in W7 (which is simply Virtual Machine) we could have GF6800 on that virtual machine and thus able to re-play this old game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I posted to a similar thread, but this one is a bit 'fresher.'

I am running into the same issue with v1.1 of Sentinels on a Windows 7 64 system.

I have had it for ages as part of the UK Gold Edition. I can get v1.0 of Sentinels (the on disc version) to run perfectly with the d3d fix from this site. (Thank you, thank you). The problem arises when I install the 1.1 patch. I think it must make a change to the DRM, because after the 1.1 fix, the disc will spin up.. but then nothing launches.

I wonder if the 1.1 patch was intended for the Sentinels disc included in the Gold version... or, if it is looking for a different disc signature from the individual release of Sentinels. I saw the French Gold Bundle version of Sentinels has its own patch.. and that is why I wonder.

I can play v1.0 of Sentinels just fine I guess, but it just makes me a bit of a sad camper to think that I cant take advantage of the 1.1 fixes. Not even sure if the out of the box Sentinels could be finished / enjoyed to the same degree as the patched up version.

I posted to a similar thread, but this one is a bit 'fresher.'

I am running into the same issue with v1.1 of Sentinels on a Windows 7 64 system.

I have had it for ages as part of the UK Gold Edition. I can get v1.0 of Sentinels (the on disc version) to run perfectly with the d3d fix from this site. (Thank you, thank you). The problem arises when I install the 1.1 patch. I think it must make a change to the DRM, because after the 1.1 fix, the disc will spin up.. but then nothing launches.

I wonder if the 1.1 patch was intended for the Sentinels disc included in the Gold version... or, if it is looking for a different disc signature from the individual release of Sentinels. I saw the French Gold Bundle version of Sentinels has its own patch.. and that is why I wonder.

I can play v1.0 of Sentinels just fine I guess, but it just makes me a bit of a sad camper to think that I cant take advantage of the 1.1 fixes. Not even sure if the out of the box Sentinels could be finished / enjoyed to the same degree as the patched up version.

Ok try to dowload my fix pack wich also includes Hammer & Sickle fix and it works for me.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ufzf9ekhjwes6yd

If it doesnt work contact me by PM.

Thank you. This worked for me.

My version status when it boots up clearly reads "June 24 2004" now which means it is using the 1.1 fixes.

(I might've still had the d3d fix sitting in the directory. Maybe that file is redundant even now. But it all seems to load and work so I guess I'll just leave as is.)

Thank you for such a quick response. And thank you for restoring one of my games to playability for me :)

Thank you. This worked for me.

My version status when it boots up clearly reads "June 24 2004" now which means it is using the 1.1 fixes.

(I might've still had the d3d fix sitting in the directory. Maybe that file is redundant even now. But it all seems to load and work so I guess I'll just leave as is.)

Thank you for such a quick response. And thank you for restoring one of my games to playability for me :P

I'm glad to know that it works for you. :clapping:

• 4 years later...
Guest Zacherygag

Sunday night I go to log on and click on the desktop icon, hourglass pops up, screen goes black as if it is going to advance to WB, then poof to desktop. I tried going into Windows explorer and clicking on .exe file, same thing. I fire up installer and check for updates-loads a 0.1mb patch, but same thing. I uninstall and re-install WB with installer, same thing. The only things I did from the previous Thursday when it worked was dled new canon MP470 drivers and updated Yahoo Music. I uninstalled all in one drivers and no-joy. I hate to uninstall Yahoo Music, but it will be next to go if I cant figure this out.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Any and all help is appreciated.