Server Move - 23 October 2010

Pete

The site will be moving to a new server this Saturday the 23rd at 9am.

The move is to address some long-standing stability issues and allow for increased traffic to the site over the coming years.

UFOPaedia.org has already been moved to the new server and, based on my experiences during that move I expect the site transfer to take around an hour.

A notice will be placed at the top of all site pages shortly warning of the move and will be updated when the move begins in order to let you know not to add new topics or replies to the forums during that period. Once complete this message will be replaced with a "Move Complete" message for 48 hours so you will know that you are looking at the new server and can carry on as normal.

Just a quick addendum - it's not expected that there will be any downtime, and you should still be able to browse the site even during the move without hinderance, however with several scripts to juggle there may be unforeseen issues that might cause downtime.

No matter how many times you do this, there's still potential for something unexpected to crop up :(

Just a note, and I apologise as it's pretty last-minute, but I've changed the time for the server move to 10am and updated the messages on the site accordingly.

I don't think I'm being realistic with 9am on a Saturday and have "plans" tonight :(

Let's face it, it's not like you guys will be up at the crack of dawn anyway, especially not you dudes over the pond :(

The server move was successfully completed at 11.14am.

This wasn't bad going, as at precisely 10am when I was due to start I realised I couldn't log into the server and it took some 20 minutes to resolve with a technician (no idea what happened there as it was fine the day before).

Anywho, everything seems to be up and running okay and it took just over an hour (or under an hour if you don't count that issue).

Let me know if you spot any issues folks!

Well me and FA had a job seeing the new site for a while, and it ws really weird because when I pinged the site if said it was at the new IP address but when I browsed to it it showed me the old one for most of yesterday.

What was really weird was that, aside from router reboots, emptying browser cache and picking different DNS servers in my router, I even set the new IP address in my PCs hosts file (so basically it ignores the DNS server and says "right, SC is at that IP") and it still showed me the old site, which to my knowledge is impossible.

Still, after a few hours panic it sorted itself out and seems to be alright. I checked the old server and there was only me on it at any rate :(