Delve Deeper!

Sunflash

(Confession time: Managed to typo that as "Delve Depper". Awkwaarrdd)

So, Delve Deeper came out on Steam yesterday.

In a fit of "Well why the hell not it's only $4.50(us)!", myself and an admin from another game I play decided we'd grab this and give it a whirl.

Short version: Wonderful little time killer, even better if you've got someone in the room to play with. No internet mutliplayer(yet?) is the biggest downfall.

Long version: Ben, (the admin), commented that it "looks like Dwarf Fortress but actually fun." If you know that game that might be reason enough to check it out (though I admit I don't so the comparasion is lost on me). Ben seemed to have a blast, and I was quite entertained.

You have a team of five dwarves, which can be Fighters, Miners, or Scouts(all three can actually mine). Up to four teams at a time compete to dig and destroy their way through whatever mountain-like location they're in and collect as much gold/gems/mythril they can get their stubby little hands on. Gotta be careful though, goblins and worse tend to congrate inside said mining locations, and they're more than happy to pound your dwarves into dust. Don't worry too much though, a dwarf reduced to 0 health will get back up after he misses a turn, albiet at only 1 measly health.

I could go on in more detail but I don't want to swamp you folks with too much information. :( all in all, totally awesome.

It looks like fun!

How do the battles work?

Totally automatic, sadly. You tell whichever dwarf(or dwarves) to move into an occupied room, and once your other dwarves have moved/you decide to end your turn, the combat resolves. Since combat doesn't play out until the END of a turn, you can go ahead and move all five of your dwarves into one fight if you so wish. So monsters though do AoE damage (Dragons, heratic seers), so you'd want to be careful.

And of course, one wrong crit can ruin someone's day too. :(

Yeah, I know it is; but Ben has this opnion that it's designed to be as unfun as possible. :(

'sides that was his words not mine! I'm just over here giving all the viewpoints I know of. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some gems to dig out of a wall here...

• 4 months later...