I got a smaller problem

Maugan Ra

Height gives you a better field of vision, thus you can pick off enemies very easily. It also appears to raise your visibility range by a tile or so.... but I cannot confirm this.

And best of all -- flying helps you avoid the sonic pulsers. The most powerful weapon that can be used on land (not counting reaction firing DPL's... which is almost impossible to pull-off). But as you can't fly... oh well.

But it's no matter really. You can still climb those metal towers and blast out bits of a walls in some buildings to gain a bit of height.

- NKF

Sure, you avoid the sonic pulsers...BUt for me, even with the flying suit/magnetic ion, I almost never survive even one shot from the heavy plasma/sonic thingie. And, pretty much every bloody alien from March onward has one.

I think I did...I'm not sure what it was, as I didn't check the corpse, but it was definitly some sort of plasma that was just bouncing off my flying suits, not leaving a scratch. it was a Muton small scout in September, I think.

No, but the odds of you just being injured instead of dying are so much better.

The front plate has 142 armour (that's like superhuman sectopod armour!), and a sonic cannon only does 130. This means you can actually ignore the damage sometimes if you're shot in the front plate. Not all the time, but when it does work, it really counts.

The rear's only 110, but it still good against blasta shots. You don't want to get shot in the sides, since they're only 80 points each, and the weakest sonic gun is also 80. As the sonic pistol is discarded for the blasta and cannon very quickly, this isn't very promising. So watch your sides!

You are still explosive bait though, as your under armour is only 65, and all the alien explosive-type weapons are in the triple digit range.

- NKF

The only triger when you into the the square of the perox or one of the bordering one... so if some one has a sucky throuwing skill and it lands next to another xcomie, just walk away from it. with flying armor you just fly up a square to get away.

-Blade FireLight

I can't remember about UFO, but in TFTD, they were supposed to have changed the particle disruption grenades. You can't move into the sams square the grenade, unless you are on top of it. But, what I would do is to throw an untriggered to someone with the time, and let them arm it, and then they throw it. That would be the best.

There is one change to the PDS grenade. It has much greater armour points than UFO's proximity mine. Otherwise it's relatively identical in use and behaviour, but cannot be destroyed so easily by explosives.

Although I think pulsers can destroy them. I've noticed that destroying an armed mine does seem to pass on the armed proximity mine feature on to other items, even in the dos versions of the game, for some reason, or at least it did that one time in the TFTD mission I played a few days ago.

- NKF

P.S: For proximity mines in general, they have a 3x3x1 detection radius, with the mine in the centre. Moving INTO any of the tiles in the 3x3 area will set it off. Moving away from the trigger tiles or landing into the 3x3 area from above is okay.

I prefer to not use proximiaty mines, or the particle disturbance grenades. I prefer goig with standard equipment. Besides, why use something that can kill civilians, and other members of my team, when I can just shot 'em all, and let God, and the people who handle that stuff, sort 'em out?