I got a smaller problem

Maugan Ra

if you'd taken a look in the TFTD download's section of this very site you'd have found the unofficial strategy guide.... which is what i just did... found it only pointed to the gamefaqs.com site... did a quick google and found:

the unofficial strategy guide

all of which you could have done yourself. anyway, take a peek at section 5.4 the research tree.

(btw, i too like dark reapers... although i prefer striking scorpions)

{ ^ wh40k reference for all those who didn't get }

it's better than nothing. i don't play tftd much, but assuming its equivalent to personal armour... then useful it is... for it can just keep an agent alive for long enough to survive the mission... even if its effectively out of it.

Get thee hence to my TFTD Bug Avoidance Guide, currently at:

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/temporary/trtbag.html

Its a bit prosy at the moment, but it does cover all the much sought after research technologies - armour, subs and T'Leth. They are the most important, and also represent the majority of the research tree bugs.

I didn't cover everything. Sonic weapons are easy enough, so they weren't covered, and the advanced SWS need the hammerhead plus their respective technology's craft weapon.

It's still a work in progress (perpetually in progress anyway), so I may have left a few things out, like the lobsterman navigator and what it can do for the T'Leth research branch. The summary section may be a bit erroneous.

- NKF

Hey, make sure that you do NOT research any medics, at first. I would save them until much later in the game. They don't provide valuable information, and can cause you to miss things about the species you need to advance in the game. Also, avoid researching alien technologies that are just there, like alien learning arrays.

the main alien you need to research to get the leviathan is the lobster man commander. I have had trouble getting ion armor before, but you need to research a Live Deep One, and to get mag. ion armor you need to research magnetic navigation

You can safely research mag. navagation, and ion thrusters, or something like that? I can't remember. Well, maybe the other way around, but still, research those two early, so when you do get the Deep ones, one dead, one alive, you can go right to mag. ion armor without too much fuss or muss.

The other thing is is that you need Alien Sub Construction in your storage, I think, when you research navigators to get Transmission Revolvers. I could be wrong, but that's how I got it, this last game, I think. Anyway, with the alien sub construction, there came up to research the new fighter sub, and with that researched, with sonic oscillators (sic?) you can manufacture not only the new subs, but also the gauss hwp, and the sonic ones, as well.

WAAAAAAAAAH! This must be the 3rd separate occasion that I have ruined a save game!

Is it my fault that I like researching aliens?!

The dead deep one got me the aquaplastics...

Surely it is logical to research the live one next...

WRONG!

Ohwell, gives me a chance to start all over again! It's a good thing I have too much free time.

:)

i guess the easiest thing to do is just go get the TFTD research tree bug fix... i'm sure there is one out there... i think it's part of x-comutil.

[OT] and yes, Maugan Ra is a warhammer 40k thingy... eldar... *tries to remember which one* off hand i'd say the Dark Reaper phoenix lord, but i'd have to look it up to be sure.... it's been a while since i played.

I like how in TFTD Ion Armour is so much more useful than its UFO counterpart, Power Suit. For in TFTD, there are land missions in which you cannot fly with the mag. ion, so why not go for the cheaper Ion for more guys? Whereas in UFO, there's really no point in keeping Power Suits around when you get fliers. Except I keep powersuits, because I don't like overkill. :)

Does anyone else find it interesting that the Displacers (supposedly using the same technology as Mag. Ion) can fly on land missions, yet troops can't? What's with that?

Maybe the tanks have more power than the armour for the weight. Also a small propeller is all that is needed to hover in water. A jet pack would take up much more room. The tanks have enough room for an alien power unit onboard (sorta like a mini flying sub).

Mag. Ion Armour troops don't get to wear their Mag. Ion propulsion pack on land.

Despite being reverted back to basic ion armour, you still get to keep the +10 all-round armour bonus the ion propulsion pack gives you.

I think the real reason is that these ion packs would be rather heavy to carry on land on account of their bulk (look at them -- they're huge!). It probably won't matter when you're in the air, but when you're standing on the ground and with the pack turned off, you'd be dragged down with it.

Underwater, the weight of the pack is displaced by the water, so it wouldn't be as difficult to carry as it would be on land. The SWS, weapon platforms built for heavy (as in weight) weaponry, can carry the heavier ion propulsion units without any trouble.

- NKF