How many bases do you usually build?

CapnKill

Depends what the graphs say, although that doesn't always help you as I knew in my last game that there was something going on in Japan or northern Australia and built a base in that region but got very few UFOs cropping up on my radar.

It would be best to try and track some of the UFOs back to their bases if possible - putting your bases quite close to theirs can provide a good steady supply of Elerium, though you'll get fed up of supply ships before too long >:]

Haven't seen any supply ships yet, just abductors and terror ships for the most part and the small scouts. If there's an alien base at this stage, there is no sign of it as far as I could tell.

All the countries seem to be happy with my work, but yeah I should check the graphics, I haven't looked at them in a little bit.

I generally end up using all 8 slots, with only 2 - 3 of them being major facilities, with the rest being small intercept/listening outposts.

I'm a miser when it comes to elerium, so my elerium based aircraft tend to be limited to 1 Avenger and 1 Lightning. I have to make a good network of interceptors to make up for it, hence the reason why I use all the slots. So instead of chasing UFOs across continents, I wait until they get close to their destination and launch the nearest interceptor, and if I need more firepower (say there's a mass fleet), the nearest neighbour can offer its interceptor to cover the shortfall. If the UFOs are near the main base or there's any sort of urgency, then the Avenger is launched.

Overall this works great in EU, but not very well in TFTD because of the added depth variable shielding most enemy ships from your basic craft. In that one, you need a good fleet of Mantas and Hammerheads.

- NKF

I generally end up using all 8 slots, with only 2 - 3 of them being major facilities, with the rest being small intercept/listening outposts.

Same here. I also built them close enough for their radar ranges to slightly overlap so that I can get multiple interceptors onto one target.

I build my second base when I run out of other things to spend my money on - it mostly serves to house more soldiers for psi training, though most of those saps only ever see actual combat when the aliens attempt a base assault. I try to plant it next to an alien base, so I can farm supply ships.

I typically finish the campaign long before I'm considering more facilities then that.

I'm a miser when it comes to elerium, so my elerium based aircraft tend to be limited to 1 Avenger and 1 Lightning. I have to make a good network of interceptors to make up for it, hence the reason why I use all the slots. So instead of chasing UFOs across continents, I wait until they get close to their destination and launch the nearest interceptor, and if I need more firepower (say there's a mass fleet), the nearest neighbour can offer its interceptor to cover the shortfall. If the UFOs are near the main base or there's any sort of urgency, then the Avenger is launched.

Overall this works great in EU, but not very well in TFTD because of the added depth variable shielding most enemy ships from your basic craft. In that one, you need a good fleet of Mantas and Hammerheads.

- NKF

Do you put a skeleton crew on your interceptor bases or do you just take the loss if they get attacked?

Just a complimentary crew of 8 - 10 soldiers with some laser rifles. Personal armour and a few tanks are sent over to boost the defenses as necessary. Each successful defense adds to the arsenal. If lost, thanks to the heavy plasma economy, it's not too hard to replace the base if necessary, but you do suffer that downtime while the base is rebuilt and re-staffed.

- NKF

• 4 weeks later...
At this stage I'm having trouble sneaking in a new base... I've tried 3 so far, and 2 have been taken down before any living qtrs could be constructed... I did manage to get one up which is now fully operational and defended, and a 2nd is still under their radar sort of speak, but it still has about 10 days until I can crew it up.

I usually spread my bases relatively far apart. The first base I build is usually in the U.S. right close to the border of Canada. That one usually becomes my research base, as well as an interceptor/radar. The second base I build is in Europe. That one is my main manufacturing, with interceptors/radar as well. Subsequent bases get placed in various areas, as I, and the EOM reports state. Typically, it's a toss up between South America, South Africa, and Japan. Then it's one of those, then the last one. I usually drop one finally in on Australia, the Artic, and Antartica. But not really in that order. All depends on things.