Artifact Site Problem

Mike

I am currently doing my third artifact site mission of the current game. All is going very well, minimal loss amongst my aquanauts, massive alien casualties, the site is mine.

I have destroyed the synomium device, another victory for the earth boys! But mission isn't over.

Mop up the last pockets of alien scum in the base.

Mission isn't over.

Damn, there must be a sectoid cowering in a broom closet somewhere, lets spread out and find him fellows.

Nothing. All but the two heavy weapons guys have their particle disturbance sensors, can't find anything. Walk to every part of the base that I can and still dont find anything. Checked the entrance lifts, also clear.

I execute the few unconscious aliens we were going to take back for the techs to look over. I go back into the synomium device room and drop a few grenades, the entire floor is a smoking ruin.

Load the boys into the exit lifts, leave. mission states failure, device not destroyed. I did save it prior to jumping on the lifts. I am baffled at what I am doing wrong. All other missions have gone off well.

:P

sounds like a glitch... what you can do is save the game befor aborting and use xcomtuil to either show all. kill all or autocombat to removed the missing alien. then the game should flag the device as destroyed by default.

if you want to you can email me a incombat save and i can take a look at posible coruption and try to fix it for you.

-Blade FireLight

Just a thought, did the notification that the device was destroyed and that you should start evacuating pop up after destroying it? I'm guessing it did.

If you don't want to resort to XComutil and want to do it the hard way, one suggestion would be to haul everything, dead/unconscious bodies, weapons, anything not nailed down, and dump them on the exit pads. When you evacuate, you'll take all that stuff with you, and this should be reflected in your score.

There's probably not enough equipment to offset the -500 penalty (if you're like me and use pulsers like mad), but it will still reduce it enough so that you can easily make up for the lost points.

Oh, and by the way, your sensors can't pick up anything that hasn't moved. That last alien's probably standing still in a corner somewhere.

- NKF

There's also a glitch that messes up with your soldier's positioning, and you end up with soldiers beyond the boundaries of the map. I wonder if this is the case with that particular alien you're searching for? Still, I've only ever seen this happen with your own units, never the aliens.

- NKF

Well I resorted to collecting everything that wasn's nailed to the floor and leaving. Took a score that should have been 1600+ easy and turned it into a negative 59 defeat.

I am just not that handy with xcomutil yet and wanted to get on with the game. Thats 2 out of 4 synomium sites I have lost now.

• 2 weeks later...

You can preserve it, actually, like you can keep terror sites up. As long as one ship is targeting the site, it will remain on the map. All it really is is a terror site with far heavier consequences in that respect.

But seriously, it would be far easier to just attack the artefact site than to keep it up.

- NKF

Ok, I actually need to clarify myself. I meant, how can I preserve the device, in order to research it, not the whole site? I know about intercepting the terror sites to keep them on. :P

I just started over, and I think I am in May, of the first year, and I have not had any artifact sites, yet, and I am playing Genuis level, not Superhuman.

• 3 months later...
Artifact sites are HUGE!!! I suggest that you bomb every room and every nook. Ther are some nooks and crannies in the room where you see the aynonmos device tower the elevate to the second and third floor. There are also about 10 lifts that lead different places.