Obtaining Version 2.0 patch?

Saturnalia

The patches are still availible on the Microprose FTP site

TFTD Patches:

Version 2.0

Fixes lots of research issues and elimiates the need for 2 lobsterman navigators

TFTD geoscape 2.1 Beta

This fixes the problem with researching MC labs with out haveing a MC reader.

Both the patches are for the DOS version of the game. The Windows versions are at the 2.0 version _not_ the 2.1 so be carfull to not sell MC readers.

UFO/EU patches

X-Com: UFO 1.2

This patch fixes the missing Alien base map that caused the muti image bug

and added the mission entrys to the UFOPedia. and requires that you start a new game. (1.2 is for US ver only)

X-Com: UFO 1.4

This patch merged the EU and UFO versions of the game.

This fixed some sound issues and eliminated the copy protection. (all tho IMHO the sounds are not as good)

-Blade FireLight

Version 2.0

Fixes lots of research issues and elimiates the need for 2 lobsterman navigators

Basically, it eliminates the need for a lobsterman navigator to get Magnetic Navigation, so you can research the more advanced armour a lot quicker.

Speaking of armour, it also changes the prerequisites for the Magnetic Ion Armour so that it now needs Ion Armour. Prior to the v2 patch, it didn't need it.

Does the Geoscape 2.1 beta fix the need for having a 'sub construction' store item as well?

- NKF

The 2.1 beta does not have any release notes.. the ony info was posted on the Microprose website back in '95. but from my notes on the subject I dont beleave they are required.. just have Transmision Resolver and Zrbite.

IE.. if you have not done the Zrbite befor the Trans Resol. just do zrbite and it will give you the Sub construction. The order of thoes two dont mater... you would be suprized just how many things are dependent on zrbite being researched becaus most people do it first they dont notice.

-Blade FireLight

I recall installing the geoscape update a long time ago... but I think that was before my hard drive crash. Oh well, might as well grab another copy and have another go at it.

As for Zrbite, I didn't really think that there were that many research items dependant on it (I mean the Zrbite research, not the actual Zrbite itself). As far as I can remember, only Sub construction and the disrupter pulse launchers[1] need the Zrbite research. Your engineers will happily build anything that uses zrbite even without the research.

- NKF

[1] Of course, I've seen the DPL's appear as new research items after researching the cloning vats (perhaps some other USO widget) or sometimes the craft gauss cannon. But I did have Zrbite researched prior to that, so I'm guessing it was probably just an ordinary glitch.

Hmm, just applied the geoscape update and ran a series of research tests. Here's what I got:

You still need to have a MC Reader in stores before completing research on the M.C.-lab if you want the more advanced MC tools and structures. Similarly, you still must have a sub construction store item before completing the last of its prerequisites to get the sub construction research (as you said, in any order). Oh well. :P

And by the way, Ion Armour doesn't need Zrbite. Yes, Zrbite is used in the production of the armour, but you don't need the Zrbite research to actually research and build Ion Armour. In my aforementioned test, I held off on the Zrbite until I wanted to start work on the new subs, but I still got the armour.

- NKF