DOS vs Windows version?

CapnKill

I got the Steam version the other day but I also have the Windows version, somewhere, in a box, somewhere...

I just learned the Steam version has the difficulty bug, so that I can patch I guess, but I'm wondering if the Windows version is superior in any other way to the Dos version... will it look any better for example?

Basically, is it worth the effort to go digging through boxes to get the windows version out?

The windows version is nice, but the steam version is good. That's what I use (mostly) and it's fine. The only problem would be the difficulty bug in my opinion. Especially if you're running windows vista/7, as those require more work to get working for the windows version.

Stumbled up this thread on Steam: https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1146530

Looks like the windows version is there and can be used, plus the mods and the better music sounds like the perfect way to play. I'm going to give this a shot tonight and see what I think.

I'm most excited about the "open door without having to walk through it" fix.

• 7 months later...
Stumbled up this thread on Steam: https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1146530

Looks like the windows version is there and can be used, plus the mods and the better music sounds like the perfect way to play. I'm going to give this a shot tonight and see what I think.

I'm most excited about the "open door without having to walk through it" fix.

Is this the same as X-COM CE from Gamersgate?

• 3 weeks later...
I tend to prefer the DOS version (with xcomutil fixing the difficulty bug) if only for the fact that the aliens don't fail at blaster bombs due to the vertical movement bug with CE. It's also easier in my current situation to use dosbox to play it than to emulate windows then figure out a way to properly slow that down to run xcom at a respectable speed.