XComUtil, Java, and macbook

Idgy

I solved my previous XComUtil issue by finding an untouched install to start from. But now I have a new problem. When I run XCUSetup, there's a specific option - I think the "Improved Farm and Desert Terrain" or whatever - that throws up a bunch of java errors. As in, it has no idea how to call java from DOSBox.

Is this a limitation of the OS X flavor of DOSBox, or the frontend I'm using (Boxer)? Or is this a problem with the way OS X and Macs implement java nowadays?

Getting the updated terrain isn't critical to my enjoyment of X-COM, but if there's some easy fix, I'd love to hear it.

Java cannot be called from DOSBox, full stop. The idea is that any program running within DOSBox shouldn't know a thing about the host environment - it should think it's running in DOS. And Java was never developed for DOS.

Might be worth grabbing an updated copy of XCU. I'd assume it no longer offers non-DOS-compatible features while running in DOSBox, which'll at least make it clear what you can and cannot have. Blade's also done a fair bit of work on the battlefield generation code, so it may be DOS-compatible now.

Java cannot be called from DOSBox, full stop. The idea is that any program running within DOSBox shouldn't know a thing about the host environment - it should think it's running in DOS. And Java was never developed for DOS.

Right. I really didn't think tha tthrough, did I?