UFO Defense (via Steam) on the Mac?

andrewce

So I picked up X-COM: UFO Defense this morning (I'd been meaning for years to play it, but was not fully enticed until the $1.24 sale on Steam), with at least partial intent of playing on my mac laptop. I've been using DOSBox to play Doom and Commander Keen, so X-COM seemed a natural next step.

Plus, there is the whole "Pantheon of Games" thing. Minor details.

However, it has become quite clear over the course of today that the release packaged on Steam is very definitely geared for the PC only.

Whoops.

My question for you cats, given that I am far too much of a noob to figure it out just yet: is there a good way (other than purchasing CrossOver Games) to get X-COM running on my macbook? Is it even possible? Gut instinct suggests that the best way to do this would be to install the files on the PC, copy 'em over to the Mac, and then open them via DOSBox, but that could end catastrophically, and I don't know enough about DOSBox to be able to do much more than basic command-line operations.

I know I am not the only one with this question, so here is my proposal: if one of you can help me get this set up and going, I will gladly help you put together a tutorial so that others can do this too. It is hardly a fair trade, I know, but it is the best I can offer unless you find yourself in the neighborhood, in which case I would make you a delicious sandwich.

Thanks in advance, even if just for the time you spend reading this.

I don't have a copy of the Steam release, but I do know that it packages the Dos version with Dosbox (as well as the executables for the CE edition). I take it that you've discovered that it's the PC version of Dosbox that it comes packaged with.

Technically, all you need to do is just copy the game directory over to your Mac, mount all the necessary drives and run it directly under your copy of Dosbox.

- NKF

I didn't get it through Steam, but I can confirm that once you have the DOSBox-ready files on Windows, you can transfer over to Mac no sweat. I played for a while on DOSBox/XP, then when I got a Mac, I downloaded Boxer (it's a DOSBox frontend).

Rather than copying over from my CD and starting fresh, I just put the files on a thumbdrive, dropped them in the Boxer directory, and picked up where I left off in the same savegames. No need to do extra configuration or mess around with permissions or whatnot.

So you just need to download it onto a Windows machine (do you have your Steam account installed on one?), and then move the X-Com directory to your Mac.

I didn't get it through Steam, but I can confirm that once you have the DOSBox-ready files on Windows, you can transfer over to Mac no sweat. I played for a while on DOSBox/XP, then when I got a Mac, I downloaded Boxer (it's a DOSBox frontend).

Rather than copying over from my CD and starting fresh, I just put the files on a thumbdrive, dropped them in the Boxer directory, and picked up where I left off in the same savegames. No need to do extra configuration or mess around with permissions or whatnot.

So you just need to download it onto a Windows machine (do you have your Steam account installed on one?), and then move the X-Com directory to your Mac.

Thanks, all - I just got it installed and going. Definitely looking forward to playing this more over the next few weeks (or longer?).

• 1 year later...

ok...i have a MAC and boxer installed ...it came with an x-com demo....but i need a full version.

hier website has a windows version for sale for 5 bux....i think i can download it then drop and drag it to my mac....any one know for sure?

ok...i have a MAC and boxer installed ...it came with an x-com demo....but i need a full version.

hier website has a windows version for sale for 5 bux....i think i can download it then drop and drag it to my mac....any one know for sure?

anyone?

• 2 weeks later...