x-com interceptor doesn't start on Win98 in VMWare

BadOmen

After 6 days of intense googling and LOTS of tweaking attempts, I decided to ask for help.

It took me a lot of time to set up a nice and working Windows 98SE virtual machine using VMWare Workstation 6.5. All that only to play X-Com Interceptor again without bugs.

But the game just doesn't start. The hourglass appears quickly when I double-click the icon, and then nothing happens. Sometimes the game is listed in Task Manager, but that's it. It recognizes when the CD is not on, it complains if I'm running Windows 98 on 16 colours, but when cd is there and colours are 32-bit, it just doesn't do a thing.

Does anyone have a tip for me? Any kind of setting I should mess with?

If you don't have a clue, I would be glad enough if you could recommend me a good Virtual Machine program that is proven to run Windows 98Se and X-Com on it.

THanks a lot

I bring troubled times to hardware and software that approach me :cool:)

Well, anyway, I fixed the problem by dropping VMWare. Installed Virtual PC 2007 instead (the new VPC doesn't support win98), that same Windows 98Se on it, and X-Com Interceptor worked instantly. So, there's something in VMWare that messed it up.

Hope this can be useful to some other Interceptor fan.