Xenonauts

michal

• 2 weeks later...

I have played the demo (which is still very close to a full product) yesterday and I have to say this:

Yes, the funding conditions are criminal. "Give us $ 50 000 and we'll make tanks able to get experience" - honestly. The same can be said about most other features. These guys are taking advantage of lack of competition in a very uncool way.

However! This is the best damn X-Com clone that I've ever seen. The UFO: Extraterrestrials cannot compare at any level. It is exciting, it is meaty, it has everything that the old series had, and that the newer attempts lacked. This game simply bought me, and I'm sure I'll buy it too! Hell, I'll even throw money at them and I hope many other people will too.

This is the best damn X-Com clone that I've ever seen.

This is exactly what worries and bothers me. I'm not looking for reincarnation of the original. It is not even dead, it lives on, so when I'll want an X-COM clone, I'll play X-COM.

I want more, new, refreshing and above all, less time consuming. The new X-COM seems to be heading that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect those stretch goals bonuses are there to simply please the fans, and infact do not reflect the true expenditure of the money. Ive heard them talk about many 'under the hood' expenditures which should take priority, but due to outcry they added these stretch goal bonuses. For example they deeply expressed their wish to setup a studio so the devs could be in walking distance from each other instead of in different countries, this would allow for far greater productivity. Problem is, things like productivity and under the hood aspects arnt tangible to fans who dont understand the nature of game development, so these token stretch-goal bonuses were added to appease 'un-informed masses' - who know shit isn't adding up.

Though on face value I have to agree that its an absolute farce. You could employ a full time professional programmer for a whole year at that price. I could commission the sprites, and artwork for the female soldiers from deviant.com for about $500. The voice acting is cheap aswell, you ushually pay a voice actor per hour, and I highly doubt you'll be looking at more then an hour of work for voice-clips like that, then studio time and mastering, which wont come to more then anything over $5000. In total, your looking at what, $6k max?

They are making a fantastic spiritual successor, i just wish they didn't treat their investors like idiots.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Novel developments regarding Xenonauts:

We have now released V17.6 on Desura, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac out and ready for download. This is a relatively stable build that has a number of improvements in it, the biggest of which is AI. The aliens will now (finally) act with rudimentary intelligence, which is enough to pose some kind of threat on the battlefield. Future releases will make them more intelligent, but you can now finally play the game.

::

Full report here.

• 1 month later...

At least conceptually, Xenonauts has now reportedly reached Beta and both a new Demo and Steam Early Access are currently on the near horizon:

Two big bits of news: Xenonauts has now hit beta, and we should be launching on Steam Early Access in the next 4-6 weeks.

I need to qualify that statement by saying that beta, to us, means this: you can now play the game from start to finish, and we’ve shifted our focus from adding new features to fixing up bugs, balance and generally improving the user experience of the game. It’s NOT a beta in the AAA sense of the word (...)

We'll be releasing a new demo of the game to celebrate the event, containing roughly 1/3 of the game. If you want a taster of our progress without spoiling the final game, you might want to give that a try (...)

Read the full brief here. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.xenonauts.com/wp-content/themes/rockwell/skins/army/gfx/logo.png

There's quite a few little features or tweaks to make in the combat still, including testing out a sight system that only reveals what is currently in a unit's line of sight – so if a unit turns or is killed, vision is immediately lost on those tiles. I suspect this will make the missions feel a bit more claustrophobic and reduce the effectiveness of long-range sniping (both good things) but we'll see how it works in practice. If we don’t like it, we can just revert to the old model.

Read the rest of this month's development update for Xenonauts here.

• 1 month later...

It's shaping up to become a pretty nice game indeed, but from Steelwarrior's latest Xenonauts Let's Plays it becomes rather evident there are yet quite a few edges to blunt.

For instance, grenade throwing range is outright preposterous. Any closer and just about all you can do is blow yourself up. Still, should be ok if they use the same rules for their ongoing implementation of aliens throwing grenades at our troopers... :P

I think you are exaggerating a bit. The grande throw range is somehow 50-60% of the screen range, which is normal. I would want you to throw a grenade 5km away :P In X-Com throwing range was preposterous :P

With very experienced soldier and strength at very high levels I can throw grenades quite far.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, silencer has been doing an AAR of it here. I guess we are all waiting to see if the bugs get worked out to jump in. Personally, I'm waiting for it to go on sale or for someone to gift it to me, lol. :laugh:

Lemme see about setting up a forum for it. It would probably be this weekend though. ;)

- Zombie