Help with DOSBOX and ClarkWehyr editor

Rocklyn Fisher

Hello, kinda new here so I'll explain it as best I can. I downloaded ufo defense a month ago or so after a friend recommends it to me, i took a liking to it. I love strategy games like this and I have things figured out pretty good, I know how things work now. After setting up DOSBOX and making an easy directory for ufo defense I decided to add ClarkWehyrs editor to help me out some because I'm tired of failing in the first three months on beginner mode and I want to tweak some things. I've seen good things about this editor but when i put it in the same directory as ufo defense it doesnt work. When I put it in a seperate directory and try to execute it, it doesn't work. Any tips on getting this editor to open in DOSBOX?

Haven't used CWE in a long time, but I gave it a spin.

First things first, have you run the install program? If you have and then tried to run xcomedit and find that it's still not working, saying they it can't find the game, then you should edit the Cwxced.ini file in the directory that you installed the editor and edit the UFO_PATH field to point to your proper game path. Use a text editor like Notepad or MS-Edit to open it.

If your game is in the virtual dosbox drive under the C:\XCOM\UFO\ folder for example, just type that in. If you plan to run the editor outside of dosbox (it does work fine for some), then remember to enter the actual physical path rather than the virtual dosbox drive path.

The default directory it has in its config file points to the MPS\UFO directory, which used to be the default path that the game would be installed. Do the same with the TFTD fields too if you plan to play that as well.

By the way, if you do use the editor, be very wary of the base editor. Though it's unintentional, it can make bases very expensive to maintain, as it marks all unusued dirt blocks in an edited base as being 'used' - which means they will cost rent. Very high rent at that. This normally happens in-game when you dismantle a facility and don't reuse the block. Having them all set to being 'used' can result in a very expensive base, unless you use all of the available space.

Beyond that, if you want some advice on how to get by without using an editor, feel free to drop by the main game forum and have a natter with the regulars.

- NKF