Skyranger/APC creation thread

NKF

• 1 year later...

One other option is to replace the little ladder and porthole (it works by the way!) and enlarge it into a HWP 'lift' where troops or the HWP can be set up in a fixed position on top of the APC.

luke83, I'm not sure what would be needed to get it into OpenXCom unfortunately. However, I'm sure those familiar with the project can easily port it over.

And for those who haven't seen it yet, Bomb Bloke has posted a working copy of the APC in the file section. It will need BB's toolkit.

- NKF

. I had another completely crazy idea which is this: it would be awesome to have a HWP turret set on the APC that could actually fire.

i had the same thought , it doesn't look like there is anyway to support that in openxcom in the current map format , maybe daiky will think of someway later to allow this.

luke83, I'm not sure what would be needed to get it into OpenXCom unfortunately. However, I'm sure those familiar with the project can easily port it over.

Well i guess i am familiar with that project , i may have a play with this tonight to see what makes it tick. I am dreaming about having the enemy humans/gangs rock up to a crashed ufo in one of these badboys to stop xcom.

NFK , do you still have the GIMP file for this , i would love to see how you did it ( i am new to using gimp and big multi piece blocks like this kinda scare me)

Heheh. I'd been hoping to have Jman "unveil" this, thinking that it'd go unnoticed in the files section until then - but it seems he hasn't had time for his AAR lately, so I guess it's been up a bit too long. ;)

If you configure my toolkit to have it replace the Avenger instead of the SkyRanger, then cram enough HWPs on board, one will end up on the roof. With a bit of trickery it may indeed be possible to embed one into the craft instead, by adding a special unit that is invisible, can't move, and is equipped with a tank turret (I have a save game with invisible Chryssalids - don't know what makes them that way, but if I can work it out then something like this would be easy to achieve).

The OpenXcom coders probably won't have much trouble implementing the Mudranger, as the file formats are pretty much identical to that of any other craft. The one thing that might not immediately make sense to them is the RM2 file, which is basically the same as the RMP file but is used to determine where your units spawn (normally this is handled solely by the game executable).

The sourcecode for the software that handles this is in "bbreset.bas", starts at about line 344 and carries on until about line 500. Though I suspect they'd learn just as much by reading the documentation in my toolkit about it.

NFK , do you still have the GIMP file for this , i would love to see how you did it ( i am new to using gimp and big multi piece blocks like this kinda scare me)

Here's a zipped copy of the GIMP xcf file I worked on:

Mudranger with weathering.zip

I quite literally created a layer for each unique tile, each layer set to the exact image size that it will be ported to afterwards then moved the layers about so that they overlapped in the correct order. Initially each layer was just a copy of a typical diamond ground tile, so I could fit the layers into the right position. The tile were then drawn in place. Also made some mock up layers of repeated tiles just for visual effect so I could see the end product as I worked. It's quite handy to be able to hide and reveal the individual tiles.

Bomb Bloke did an extraction of the layers and had them converted into pck files.

- NKF

To my understanding, while there were bugs in DOSBox .73 that gave XCU issues, these were fixed in the .74 release (which is the most up to date version currently available).

At a glance, it looks like XCU9.7 is specifically programmed to disallow its use with DB.73 so I'd assume those particular bugs were severe. If memory serves they had something to do with passing parameters between batches, which XCU has to do a lot.

• 1 month later...

I see I see. Thanks for your reply!

Would you have instructions and tips to assist me in this quest? I don't know where to start with the BB deal. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks for making this man!!

BB's toolkit mentions XcomUtil. Do I have find that mod too? Thx :D

XComutil is optional, and not required to run BB's toolkit.

Assuming we are doing it from scratch, it'll be a 3-step process. Install Java, Install the toolkit and the APC, and then set it up. I've got a really early copy of BB's Toolkit anyhow, so I may as well upgrade my copy and work you through it.

Before you do anything, I suggest making a backup copy of your game so that you can go back to it later on.

Step 1

Install Java (skip if you have it already). You can get Java from the following, and should be simple and painless to install.

https://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Step 2

Download BB's toolkit and the Mudranger files and unpack both of them into your game directory.

Step 3

If you're using Dosbox, open up a dosbox console and launch the bbmod.bat file in the game directory. Or if launching Dosbox and the game directly from a shortcut, alter the shortcut to point to bbmod.bat instead of ufo.bat.

For the Windows version, run _EXE Split.bat first, then launch BBmod.bat directly.

The first time your run BBmod.bat, it'll go through the setup. Use the spacebar to work your way through the screens until you get to the craft replacement. First time I did it, the Skyranger defaulted to nkf_apc, but if not, type in nkf_apc at the prompt to set it. After that type 6 to complete and hit enter. After another screen prompts you to hit the space bar to save the changes, the game should launch.

From here on you use bbmod.bat to start the game.

Half jokingly, lately I've been thinking about attempting Jman's pickup trucks and maybe tossing in a quad bike or two (I mean, after staring at a Megablocks Halo Warthog for a while, I'm starting to think it's quite viable - albeit a bit of deathtrap). Seriously, I've been toying with another transport idea, but I'll keep the particulars hush-hush at the moment to disguise the fact I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. wink.png

(and no, it's not a mobile fortress or mobile mound with WW2 style trench...)

- NKF

• 4 months later...

Gosh this is truly awesome, NKF. Just like you, I've always fancied a scenario similar to the SHADO Mobiles from the UFO TV series encountering a downed UFO.

Regarding arming the APC, isn't this as simple as embedding an HWP unit in the front of the APC with 0 energy and 0 regeneration, or imprisoned by walls that come up to just below its LOFTEMP firing height? Or preferably the top left control square of an HWP. This would allow the aliens to fire back and destroy the gun. Standard HWP Cannon or HWP Rocket would be fine. It would recreate lots of UFO TV scenarios. Except... hang on... those usually ended very swiftly with the SHADO Mobile being summarily destroyed by a UFO plasma beam.

I guess to play fair, if arming the XCOM APC with a cannon, you would also want to glue a zero-energy Cyberdisk to the roof of the UFO to allow the aliens to fire back. And consider making the Mudranger out of tiles that do not have indestructible strength. :)

I had been thinking of an invisible cage that was really a very low wall that blocked the HWP from moving but did not prevent it from shooting, and throw in some visual masking in the adjacent tiles closest to the player to cover up the body of the HWP might make it into a fairly decent turret.

I was also thinking of changing the lift ladder into a stepladder, as it would be visually more appealing to see the soldier walk up rather than float up.

- NKF

"Half jokingly, lately I've been thinking about attempting Jman's pickup trucks and maybe tossing in a quad bike or two (I mean, after staring at a Megablocks Halo Warthog for a while, I'm starting to think it's quite viable - albeit a bit of deathtrap). Seriously, I've been toying with another transport idea, but I'll keep the particulars hush-hush at the moment to disguise the fact I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png"

I would love to see a Old army truck

https://www.markes.co...-army-truck.jpg

FYI: The APC loads into Openxcom without any issues , i just replaced the Skyranger as a test.

post-8178-0-68335700-1351070206_thumb.png

A step ladder to the roof? That would be awesome. It would also be the most powerful force multiplier X-COM deploys up until the development of the Flying Suit. Imagine, a commanding position for snipers on-demand! Maybe too unbalancing. Maybe X-COM scientists need to research 'Stepladder' first. :)

At the moment, there's a ladder to the roof (acts like a grav-lift) - you can already put your snipers up there. In fact, if you have the APC replace the Avenger instead of the SkyRanger, the game will allow you to assign so many units to it that some of them will actually spawn up there at the start of battle.

(There's nothing stopping you from configuring things to have the APC replace all X-COM craft at once; the idea is, after all, that the ship only serves to carry the APC near to the battle then it drives itself the rest of the way. If the SkyRanger can lug it around then the hybrid craft certainly should be able to do the same).

Replacing that with a step-ladder would be tricky, as regular staircases in the game are the steepest slopes troops can walk up... Including the start point on the ground and the end point on the next level, there are four whole tiles involved in going up them. Can't do it in a smaller space without either using the "grav-lift" effect or making it only traversable downhill. There's really no way without either making the vehicle wider or longer; I think the current solution is better.

• 2 months later...

Hey, just popping in to say I rather love the Mudranger. Unfortunately I recently discovered there is a hole on the front left of the vehicle. It`s on the inside corner near the access ladder. I was holed up inside during a nasty Terror Site, when suddenly lasers started picking off my guys who were safe inside! Possibly needs an invisible pillar?

Otherwise really nice work! It goes really well in Dawn City :)

• 3 years later...

Crossing fingers that one day OpenXcom will allow me to put a proper tank turret on this thing. Well - probably not. At least the sort I'm thinking of with a swinging boom turret that could knock off enemies (or allies) that have climbed on top of the tank.

Incidentally Hobbes, I might have mentioned this before, if you or anyone else in the OXC modding community want to make any alterations to the Mudranger, then go for it. The more variety the better for your map pack. ;)

- NKF

Crossing fingers that one day OpenXcom will allow me to put a proper tank turret on this thing. Well - probably not. At least the sort I'm thinking of with a swinging boom turret that could knock off enemies (or allies) that have climbed on top of the tank.

Incidentally Hobbes, I might have mentioned this before, if you or anyone else in the OXC modding community want to make any alterations to the Mudranger, then go for it. The more variety the better for your map pack. wink.png

- NKF

A turret would require a lot of new features... I don't think it's impossible if you somehow made the turret a fixed HWP that would always deploy with the Mudranger and be spawned on top, but the devs have other things to do.

I've already had to make your Mudranger longer to increase its unit carrying ability to make it closer to the Avenger. I use it on missions where the terrain doesn't allow for craft to be placed or when I need an exit area for XCom to reach