x-com, what do I need?

Ufo hunter

Hi to all!

I haven't played X-Com for many many many years. I was thinking of getting the colletion from gamersgate or directTOdrive. I probably also have the good old dos version hidden some where. Now what should be considered as essentials to play? I remeber there is xcomutil that had some nice additions and from ufopaedia I found seb76's ufoextender. Can I install both of them or just one or the other? Something else that is recommended?

I am running win XP machine so do I need dosbox or something else to slow down the game?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) or just point me to a right direction...

-Ufo hunter

Since I'm in the habit of using self imposed challenges and limitations I'm not really the best person to offer advice on what game tools are needed to enhance your gaming experience, but XComutil is certainly a good start.

To actually play the game, Dosbox is essential for the Dos version on modern machines.

Note that Seb76's loader is meant for the CE edition. The loader and XComutil can work concurrently as XComutil only creates a new batch file that runs the game's two major components and operates outside of the game.

I might be mistaken, but most of the games that you can buy on-line these days (I know this is the case with the Steam release) come packaged with both the Dos and CE versions of the game. That keeps the options open at least!

- NKF

Most of the online purcahseable versions should in theory work out of the box - I know the Steam version comes with DOSbox so the games should work without any tweaks. I believe there were some issues using XCOMUtil with the pre-packaged version but they should be sorted in the latest release (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Most of the online purcahseable versions should in theory work out of the box - I know the Steam version comes with DOSbox so the games should work without any tweaks. I believe there were some issues using XCOMUtil with the pre-packaged version but they should be sorted in the latest release (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Re Steam + XCOMUtil: The latest BETA releases have worked fine, I dun't know for sure if BFL put out a stable version with the steam fix in it or not?

Re Steam + XCOMUtil: The latest BETA releases have worked fine, I dun't know for sure if BFL put out a stable version with the steam fix in it or not?

9.7 is still beta, hopefully not for much longer. Given the bugs in 9.6 I wouldn't call it "stable" either.

-Blade FireLight