Interesting articles

Excellent, does this mean that services like Steam will be forced to provide such mechanisms to resell and disable your own copies?

Finally some justice on the matter.

I hope so. I wonder how this will impact US market and US based companies, like Valve... On EU market a company should comply with EU regulations but it might just take a lawsuit or two to make it happen. Will this become the norm for other (US) markets as well? I sure don't know.

Subscription may become something publishers will toy around with but if anything, resellability may be the thing to persuade customers to orient themselves to non-subscription based games.

• 2 months later...

Here's one with a few insights from Mr. Stephen Hawking.

Excerpt:

To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational (...) The real challenge is working out what aliens might actually be like... We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.

::

tongue.png

Although Stephen Hawking hasn't discovered America with this statement - there is no problem to reach other planets. The problem are we humans. Such undertaking would require profitable amount of money and no one would do it if it wouldn't provide income.

First thing the world need to change the point of view, because everything that spins the world right now is money and oil and the second is a finite resource.

In SOTS universe human race have changed their philosophy on all things and that is one of the ways that we ought to follow if we need to advance.

• 5 weeks later...
When Firaxis’ X-Com hit I read multiple people say: “Why weren’t they making these games all along?” The reason was because publishers and developers had lost sight out of how to make turn-based games exciting, and how to make them sell. It wasn’t that the idea of turn-based games was obsolete, or a commercial implausibility, or just a dead end, it was that the people who made those games had lost sight of the future of that idea.

Read about where the future of games can, and should, be at RPS and the misconceptions we might fall prey to with the current trends of revivalism.

About pre-orders/pre-purchase:

(...) a full-price game (...) that people are being strongly encouraged to buy now Now NOW!

Why? It’s not because without the cash the studio won’t be able to get the game finished. That isn’t how it works. They certainly want money to be coming in a more continuous fashion, over months before a release as well as after, and the pre-order process certainly helps the books look better. But the reason it’s of concern to you is that the more people who buy the game now, the more sales they’ll have before anything like reviews, bad word of mouth, or a Metacritic kicking could spoil things.

(...)

Publishers must have high-fived until their hands chapped when they realised they could get people to pay for the game at this point.

Some food for thought and well worth a read. Full article at RPS here.

All very, very true. I find myself funding not games, but ideas and nostalgia. I definitely need to stop as there are no guarantees, an idea can turn horribly wrong as an execution. The article does speak of preordering, which I only did with XCOM, but Kickstarter is actually worse. Looking at KS as a generous money throwaway may really be the best way, a good game in the end is just a bonus to feeling good about yourself for donating. It may or it may not come...

Considering I already have games waiting to be played... Why the hell am I "buying" more?! Yep, it is nostalgia, and that is love, and that is a feeling, and that is a bad way to manage economy. Gotta stop. Now.

• 2 weeks later...
(...) So I turned up and was paid to do no work. I was in IBM UK’s lab in Hursley, near Winchester, but no one seemed to want me to actually do anything. I had signed a contract with a non-disclosure clause (which has now expired I should make clear), but apparently that wasn’t good enough. I offered to sign another one but no one knew where to get it.

Eventually this was resolved, and I was assigned a PC but not even given an email account to use because I was a contractor, an untermensch. The only way for me to get email was to pretend that I was the contractor who used to sit at my desk and so I used his ID for the next three years. (...)

From the "IBM insider: How I caught my wife while bug-hunting on OS/2" article here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We must beware of the toxic psychological impact of media and technology on children, adolescents and young adults (...)

All the while, these adolescents, teens and young adults are watching a Congress that can’t control its manic, euphoric, narcissistic spending, a president that can’t see his way through to applauding genuine and extraordinary achievements in business, a society that blames mass killings on guns, not the psychotic people who wield them, and—here no surprise—a stock market that keeps rising and falling like a roller coaster as bubbles inflate and then, inevitably, burst.

An article by psychiatrist Dr.Keith Ablow, a Fox News medical A-Team member.

• 2 weeks later...
"You have to be disgusted, or turned off, or really disheartened. That's all part of the cocktail. You have to have that angst or distaste for it, because we're all averse to work - I think everyone is. But you've still got to do it. It's real delicate. The idea is that you see what's at stake for the characters, and you feel enough about what's at stake to do that work at first.

Richard Hofmeier, as he gives insight into what made Cart Life what it is, at EuroGamer.

The old man's name was Karp Lykov, and he was an Old Believer—a member of a fundamentalist Russian Orthodox sect, worshiping in a style unchanged since the 17th century. Old Believers had been persecuted since the days of Peter the Great, and Lykov talked about it as though it had happened only yesterday; for him, Peter was a personal enemy and "the anti-Christ in human form"—a point he insisted had been amply proved by Tsar's campaign to modernize Russia by forcibly "chopping off the beards of Christians."

https://media.smithsonianmag.com/images/Peter-the-Great-and-the-Old-Believers.jpg

How 40 years of isolation came to an end in a small family, entirely unaware of World War II!