UFO: The Two Sides Demo Released

Pete

NeFuRii (ufonef on our forums) and the team have released a demo of the upcoming project UFO: The Two Sides.

UFO:TTS is a semi-faithful remake of the original X-COM title but with a major difference - players will be able to play against each other as either X-COM or the aliens in PvP mode, or choose a side to play in a single player campaign.

The game aims to improve upon the original and makes important upgrades to certain aspects, and the demo shows off some of the faithfully reproduced graphics in a nice, high resolution. A non-exhaustive list of features can be found on the project's features page.

As aftermentioned, this is a limted demo and works on unfinished version of the game.

Game minimal requirements: Windows family system, 2 GHz single core processor or better, graphics card capable of displaying graphics using shaders 2.0 or better. Extractor requires installed java.

twosides1.jpg twosides2.jpg twosides3.jpg xcombase.jpg

The demo can be downloaded from the project's downloads page and you can read the full release notes in the news post.

You can't butter me up with feature lists, sonny jim. I'm here representing the most idiotic and fervent fanboys, and I demand that each and every change, no matter how small, be undone immediately.

Sorry, hard to hear across this pond. Did I hear something about someone volunteering for target practice?

*Loads Autocannon*

I just tried the demo, it works fine and looks AWESOME! This is the coolest 'non-professional' X-Com project I've ever seen. Good luck with this, it would be a dream come true to play a 'modern' X-Com.

Oh, and while you're fiddling about with it can we get a difficulty level that is easier than, 'Your guys are all morons who couldn't hit an elephant in a phone booth and they are surrounded by big Aliens with Huge guns'? Thanks.

I just tried the demo, it works fine and looks AWESOME! This is the coolest 'non-professional' X-Com project I've ever seen. Good luck with this, it would be a dream come true to play a 'modern' X-Com.

Oh, and while you're fiddling about with it can we get a difficulty level that is easier than, 'Your guys are all morons who couldn't hit an elephant in a phone booth and they are surrounded by big Aliens with Huge guns'? Thanks.

Hey, in their defense, any elephant that can squeeze into a p hone booth is going to be quite the contortinsit.

However you spell it. >.>

• 1 month later...

I was not saying it would help speed up the process, I participated in two open source projects and I know for a fact that it can get really slow unless managed properly. I was thinking more about porting, modding, and using the game to create other games (with proper credit, of course).

Needless to say it's your decision, we're happy enough you've chosen to make this game and are progressing so fast :cool:

It would be nice if you release the sources when you decide to completely stop working on UFO: Two Sides(I hope not!). I have one questions that was on my mind from the first time I saw this project. Will UFO: Two Sides be configurable like for example Bman mod for UFO: Extraterrestrials? It would be very neat if player could choose what new features wants or not. Adding option to play Vanilla game with only bug fixes would be a great thing, since new people to the X-COM could play the game without using Dosbox in higher resolutions.

Btw. there will be possibility to play also TFTD, right? or mix them both somehow?

Please keep in mind this game was at first dedicated for multiplayer only. Singleplayer was added later and was not planned from the beggining. As such, we did not plan for an option to have near 100% vanilla gameplay, because original game was impossible to be implemented for multiplayer like that. We had to change how ufo behaves. Alien ships in original game were more or less randomly generated then sent on more or less random missions at more or less random locations. We had to add some economical meaning behind those missions for human player playing as aliens. The entire game revolves around multiplayer mechanics and balancing the game for both players to stand a chance. We're not planning on adding 'vanila gameplay' option for singleplayer, since it would require rewritting a good couple of mechanics already being core of the game. We were planning on adding some more additional features that could be configurable, however. But that's for the future.

Regarding TFTD: those games are hard to combine in the same game time period. It seems the only reasonable solution would be to either make another remake with tfdt in mind, or add tfdt as a kind of 'second stage'. But then again, this makes little sense in multiplayer, also makes not much sense for a second stage if the first stage was won by the aliens. Tftd is problematic because its pretty much the same as ufo. Barracuda is the same as interceptor, except it fights underwater and doesnt fight in air. So, the player would need to seperately operate with both types of planes/subs at the same time. Its like playing two disjoined games at once.

Edit: Please also remember that we're open for suggestions. We were considering for example adding some of the tftd stuff like aliens to make the original game richer, but not add those aliens as real underwater aliens. For example lobsterman would be a good tier 6 alien, just after ethereals. Although this is the kind of stuff that IF (and thats a big IF) was implemented, would come with a configuration option for allowing/dissallowing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's teaser for a release which will be released today:

This will be first public beta, it still won't be finishable. But you can play for some time, research new technologies, fight multiple missions, etc.

It will include single as x-com and multi on both sides. Single alien won't be available yet.

ufotts.ninex.info