Wall Shooting

NCC-1701-F

Am i the only one who uses wall shooting for things. Shooting out part of or all of the walls can give you a line of sigt into a building, a line of fire into a building, etc..... Saves time when you can't find a door.....

Other than some of these stupid uses, i've found some good ones (i had a hunch during a terror site and it payed off). One time i had a gillman come out of a building, then go back in. I knew he was in there and would reaction fire, but i had a good guess where he was hiding: So, i shot the wall right there with an auto shot. First shot blew off the wall, and i see a gillman standing there, the next shot took him down. It can come in useful.

My question: Does anyone else use this tactic?

Also: Grenades and explosives with timed fuses for demolition (remove obstcles or small homes....)

I did it in a lot in ufo where I would take a hovertank and shoot two panels of the 2nd story wall for the houses/buildings/barns/whatever you want to call them. That way the hovertank could look in without having to take a guy up there and then out again.

I usually deal with that floater with a high explosive thrown through the window or dropped through a hole in the ceiling. But I am somewhat gratiuitous when it comes to attacking aliens in the farm maps... so eh. :P

Finding an alternate entrance has and is always very useful. In UFO, especially for those ufos where aliens like to wait for you to walk through a door before they kill you. I just cut a hole through the back or side of the room, then toss a high powered explosive or a stun bomb in before entering.

- NKF

I use wall entries all the time, keeps the aliens thinking. In the Cruise Ship terror missions its great fun to just shoot through room to room instead of going in and out every door. Particle disturbance sensors are ok too but not as much fun.

I crave elerium/zrbite too so I rarely shoot down ships, just follow and land. High explosives can open a hull with one to two charges and you can have an alternate entrance without destroying the engines.

• 2 weeks later...

I always do it... because if i walk in then im prone to a reaction shot from the other side...

The dumbest thing was once my solider was close to the door and with one autoshot i shot everything around the door, except the door (where the alien was hiding)!

I always shoot holes in the walls, too. It's much safer than going for the door that the aliens expect you to use, and it's usually more precise than throwing a grenade or using a blaster bomb. It takes out one section of the wall, creating what amounts to just another door, and it's less complicated, too. I also use this in UFO to take out small sections of fencing or shrubbery rather than going around them.

Looking back at the original question re: timed grenades:

I don't use them very much, except for soldiers who aren't strong enough to lob large high explosive packs over any reasonable distance.

However, one crafty application of a timed grenade (primed to '1') is for when you don't have any proximity mines but know an alien is going to step out of a door on its turn (oh say you checked with a motion sensor).

You just place the grenade by the door and run off and hide. On the alien's turn, the alien will step out of the door, thus opening it. If it ends its turn outside the door, or even if it steps back inside again, the exploding grenade will still get it and anyone standing in a straight line past the doorway.

- NKF

I wasn't even aware of the corner weakness.

I most often take down intact supply USOs at bases. A charge placed on the bottom floor, right oblique and enter through the small room is fun. Not really a huge tactical advantage but the idea of popping out of the broom closet in engineering with gauss rifles blazing makes me laugh. :P

• 1 month later...
wall shooting is fun when there is that one alien hiding in the sub or building just waiting for you to walk around the corner so he can bust a cap in your...... trooper, and u dont want to use a kamikaze in case you destroy sub components or kill civilians

• 1 month later...

Yeah... Good strategy and I used it somehow but I prefer to attack with more precision, let say on UFO example. I always, when I finally got Blaster, have two man in skyranger (or avenger) with blasters just sitting there and waiting for orders, I deploy a small squad with flying suits and going directly above ufo to place where below is control room with some commander or leader or someone else in charge :) and making one shot with Blaster right in the roof over his room I have one square entry where I can shoot any one not killed by impact and enter the ship. This strategy have huge advantage when you encounter leader of the ship in this room and kill him, then you can be sure that morale of all aliens will fall dramaticly and will fall faster with everyone killed more, mostly i got panicked aliens runing all around the place :)

But there is one big disadvantage, when they panic then you can not find them so easly... once I was looking for one floater for about 30 minuts becouse he was hiding on square in the corner..

With upgraded, edited, weapons like the laser rifle and gauss rifle, I tend to shot everything but the UFO's or the USO's, depending on the game I am playing. But like terror missions, either on land or on a ship, this is for TFTD, I tend to shoot walls and stuff like that. Get them out of the way so I can go and see what I can capture/kill. But that's the style I play. I try to capture aliens, in the first few months than kill them. I know, it seems ridiculous, but it works. You just can't kill 'em all and let God sort them out, need a few live ones to research, as well.