21 replies to this topic

#1 NCC-1701-F

NCC-1701-F

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:36 PM

Am i the only one who uses wall shooting for things. Shooting out part of or all of the walls can give you a line of sigt into a building, a line of fire into a building, etc..... Saves time when you can't find a door.....
Other than some of these stupid uses, i've found some good ones (i had a hunch during a terror site and it payed off). One time i had a gillman come out of a building, then go back in. I knew he was in there and would reaction fire, but i had a good guess where he was hiding: So, i shot the wall right there with an auto shot. First shot blew off the wall, and i see a gillman standing there, the next shot took him down. It can come in useful.
My question: Does anyone else use this tactic?

Also: Grenades and explosives with timed fuses for demolition (remove obstcles or small homes....)

#2 Crazy Photon

Crazy Photon

Lobstermen for breakfast!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:49 PM

Sometimes I do... and some regular armies also do, I saw a documental where the Peruan army forces led by the president himself used that to rescue the japanese ambassador in a terrorist attack.
Resistance is NEVER futile...

#3 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:38 PM

I've never thought of that.. I'm going to have to try..
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#4 iggy

iggy

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 09:55 PM

I did it in a lot in ufo where I would take a hovertank and shoot two panels of the 2nd story wall for the houses/buildings/barns/whatever you want to call them. That way the hovertank could look in without having to take a guy up there and then out again.

#5 BladeFireLight

BladeFireLight

Xcomutil Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:06 PM

I think using tanks and blaster bombs for seconed entrances are commen.. but shooting through a wall is new to me
Combat is very simple, there is a first place and second place, second place is laying face down in the mud, sometimes, so is first place.

#6 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 10:20 PM

YEs but only in UFO. I use it on the farm maps to take out the last floater that always hides on the top floor in the barns just above the stairs... :P
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#7 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:35 PM

I usually deal with that floater with a high explosive thrown through the window or dropped through a hole in the ceiling. But I am somewhat gratiuitous when it comes to attacking aliens in the farm maps... so eh. :P

Finding an alternate entrance has and is always very useful. In UFO, especially for those ufos where aliens like to wait for you to walk through a door before they kill you. I just cut a hole through the back or side of the room, then toss a high powered explosive or a stun bomb in before entering.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#8 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:55 AM

well, you would need a fairly high powered weapon for shooting through tough material. but hey, what are vibroblade thingies for?

#9 Mike

Mike

You have 10 seconds to comply...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 10:11 PM

I use wall entries all the time, keeps the aliens thinking. In the Cruise Ship terror missions its great fun to just shoot through room to room instead of going in and out every door. Particle disturbance sensors are ok too but not as much fun.

I crave elerium/zrbite too so I rarely shoot down ships, just follow and land. High explosives can open a hull with one to two charges and you can have an alternate entrance without destroying the engines.

#10 darkvenom

darkvenom

Hell Bent Gurner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 04:47 AM

I always do it... because if i walk in then im prone to a reaction shot from the other side...

The dumbest thing was once my solider was close to the door and with one autoshot i shot everything around the door, except the door (where the alien was hiding)!
"wE sHaLL eAt uR bRaInz!"
- VeNoM

#11 Tammy

Tammy

Her Imperial Majesty

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:55 PM

I always shoot holes in the walls, too.  It's much safer than going for the door that the aliens expect you to use, and it's usually more precise than throwing a grenade or using a blaster bomb.  It takes out one section of the wall, creating what amounts to just another door, and it's less complicated, too.  I also use this in UFO to take out small sections of fencing or shrubbery rather than going around them.
Queen and huntress, chaste and fair,
Now the sun is laid to sleep,
Seated in thy silver chair,
State in wonted manner keep:
Hesperus entreats thy light,
Goddess excellently bright.

#12 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:24 PM

Looking back at the original question re: timed grenades:

I don't use them very much, except for soldiers who aren't strong enough to lob large high explosive packs over any reasonable distance.

However, one crafty application of a timed grenade (primed to '1') is for when you don't have any proximity mines but know an alien is going to step out of a door on its turn (oh say you checked with a motion sensor).

You just place the grenade by the door and run off and hide. On the alien's turn, the alien will step out of the door, thus opening it. If it ends its turn outside the door, or even if it steps back inside again, the exploding grenade will still get it and anyone standing in a straight line past the doorway.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#13 tijm6140

tijm6140

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 04:12 PM

I never use wall shooting, grenades are better for explosion effect around corners. I use magna-pack explosives, as well, early on in the game, to blast holes into walls.

#14 Fox

Fox

A gentleman and a scholar.

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

I have the CE, and any explosive charge (even hydro-jet HE) will take out corners of USOs.  It's so easy I almost don't like doing it because it's cheap.  I always end up doing it though, because I am cheap.
Posted by Jellyfish Green
Blaster Launcher tactics: a brief guide.

Building: Nuke it.
Orchard: Nuke it.
Underground bases: Nuke large rooms first.
UFO: Punch a hole in the bridge, then send in a second bomb to nuke it.

#15 Apoc868

Apoc868

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 05:15 AM

i do quite a bit.

#16 Mike

Mike

You have 10 seconds to comply...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:05 PM

I wasn't even aware of the corner weakness.  

I most often take down intact supply USOs at bases. A charge placed on the bottom floor, right oblique and enter through the small room is fun. Not really a huge tactical advantage but the idea of popping out of the broom closet in engineering with gauss rifles blazing makes me laugh.  :P

#17 bevan

bevan

BACK! This time with less class!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:11 AM

wall shooting is fun when there is that one alien hiding in the sub or building just waiting for you to walk around the corner so he can bust a cap in your...... trooper, and u dont want to use a kamikaze in case you destroy sub components or kill civilians
Wearing my Boots of Butt Kicking and knocking on the forum's door

Urban Dead: PM me on the forums! I am Seyan! Hear me roar!

#18 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:18 PM

Auto cannon + HE + farmhouse = dead floater
Need I say more?
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#19 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

Gutseneintsenboughging all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:18 AM

Well I do in UFO, I have snipers sitting around my SKYRANGER and make them snipe whoever is spotted by my scout. Usually there are walls in the way, but when you have laser rifles (Infinite ammo :) ) destroying almost useless things is no problem!
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#20 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 10:13 PM

Actually, I shoot walls in bases, artifact sites, and land missions. I don't shoot holes in USO's, because I need all the stuff I can get, right now. I just redid my hard drive, and also started a brand new game.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users