Silent Storm like games in development?

Coldcall

Hi all,

I just joined since this appears to be the best internet forum on SS and derivative games. Okay i love this game and probbaly havent loved a game like this since UFO EU and TFTD, Fallout 1 & 2, and Jagged Alliance games.

But what really surprises me is that someone has not done much more with the SS engine. I know there are a couple other games using SS engine but they appear to have terrible reviews. In any case i just bought Hammer & Sickle off play.com for

So in general whats the problem with the SS engine that it has not been used by western commercial games companies?

First, I'm going to point you to the Silent Storm engine page at Wikipedia. Look at the reception heading for the problems. :D

Besides those issues, Nival (a Russian company) owns the engine and acquiring it for use may be hindered by the language barrier. It's also a TB engine and doesn't support multiplayer. Most games developed these days aren't TB and multiplayer is a must-have. Sure, it probably could be modified to accept RT and multiplayer support, but it's probably easier to create your own engine from scratch rather than tailoring something to fit. :)

- Zombie

Thanks for the links, I may play with the editor and see how it goes.

Personally i dont see whats wrong with TB games. Everything is turn based depending how granular your focus :-)

Still i liked what Bethesda did with FO3, with the paused Vats system and that is more or less TB if you use it alot. Same with Mass Effect 2 etc...

Everything is Turn Based? :D

Yes thats correct. Think about it, no two things ever happen exactly simultaneously, even in real-time.

For instance in a "real-time" shooter, the enemies react to the PC coming into their radar range, noticing them, and then taking counter-measures. It may appear as its happening in real-time but that is an illusion.

In fact the real-world also operates on tiny small incremental steps as proven by quantum theory. Look at time, it does not flow smoothly (as we perceive it), hence many phycists today doubt whether time actually exists as a seperate phenomenom from space.

mkay?

Just to add, we dont even know what the smallest unit of time or space comprises of. The current theory is that a planck length might be the smallest measurable unit but we cant measure because it so small :-)