Curb the Gaming Addiction

FullAuto

Now that the money is flowing steadily from my employment, and a major drain on my finances relieved (I get books for free, basically), I'm spending a lot of money on games.

Too much money. Far too much money.

After making a New Year's resolution not to make any resolutions (yes I know, shutup shutup), I made a resolution to only spend

Could do it my way: Just get a worthless machine for your gaming computer. Then you CAN'T run anything, and you'll find yourself easier to justify NOT buying the games since you couldn't play 'em anyway!

.....Okay so maybe that hasn't worked out all the great myself.

BUT IT'S AN IDEA OKAY? D:

Too much money. Far too much money.

FA, that IS too much money. FAR too much money...

I bet you can't even play the games you buy! And no wonder you never invited that girl out, you spent all the money on games!

Seriously, get a grip or you'll go bankrupt.

EDIT;

This is definitely an article for you...

Hm, I have to deal with a completely contrary problem atm: I lost ALL interest in PC games. :D

I have no explanation for this, I woke up some weeks ago and it was gone. Just like that. <snaps with fingers>

I downloaded the free CnC game from this thread https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index...?showtopic=7966 tried to play it and nope, no interest.

I have no depression or no pressure, no stress. I am happy and free, but somehow I do not care anymore about them at all.

Bioshock 2, I waited for this game feverishly for some months but now I simply did not buy it, it doesn't matter to me.

I think not even Diablo 3 or a sequel to Xcom would change anything... go figure :)

Hm, I have to deal with a completely contrary problem atm: I lost ALL interest in PC games. :D

I have no explanation for this, I woke up some weeks ago and it was gone. Just like that. <snaps with fingers>

I downloaded the free CnC game from this thread https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index...?showtopic=7966 tried to play it and nope, no interest.

I have no depression or no pressure, no stress. I am happy and free, but somehow I do not care anymore about them at all.

Bioshock 2, I waited for this game feverishly for some months but now I simply did not buy it, it doesn't matter to me.

I think not even Diablo 3 or a sequel to Xcom would change anything... go figure :)

You see, you are too happy with your real life to escape into computer games, you should be celebrating.

I go off games now and then too, espcially when i cant find anything stimulating. Its good to take a break as when you are ready to play games again there may be some worth the time.

I bet you can't even play the games you buy!

This is true actually, for the first time in my life I own games that I haven't played. The shame is great. I have managed to get through most of them though. :D However, this has meant that the games I owned before this, er, torrent started, have been ignored. :)

I don't know what it is. I like to think it's because I'm hunting for something unique, and when I find it I'll be able to stop buying games and just play that for a while, but I have some amazing games (Demon's Souls, Solium Infernum et al) and I'm still buying them like they're going out of fashion.

Part of the reason I've been able to do this is the large range of platforms and genres open to me, and the low, low, unbelievably low prices. The vast majority of the games I buy are under

My problem is not finnishing games, hence why i try not to have too many around at the same time.

I'll quit a game once i feel i know it so well that it stops being a challenge. It could be the greatest game in the world but i still end it. I prefer beginnings to endings. Also i have become depressed at the end of some games which had such a fabulous universe which i did not want to leave :-)

Morrowind was a bit like that.

It's probably just the novelty of having all that extra cash. You get used to seeing games, wanting them, and not being able to buy them - then suddenly you can buy them, and it feels great!... So you go on a spree.

Try to play your games through to completion. Don't start playing other games until you've demolished the ones you're playing now. If you can bear it, play the oldest titles first. Consider making a check list so you don't "forget" what you were playing.

One, this'll make sure your pile of unplayed games continues to grow at a faster rate then your played games. Stack them up somewhere. Don't put them in the cupboard or anything like that, put 'em where you can see 'em. A quick and easy visual drives the point home that you don't "need" any new games to keep yourself entertained with.

Two, the more games you thrash to death the more jaded you'll get. It's very seldom a game offers something new, so you'll quickly get sick of playing the "same old thing" for extended amounts of time - making you think real hard before buying "yet another boring slog". You won't "want" any of the new games.

Once you've convinced yourself that you neither need nor want something, it's easy not to buy it.

You'll eventually get bored of having no money and then realise you're not as young as you once were and that you perhaps should spend margially less time playing games or mucking about on the PC (and for me it's only marginally less)

Then *BAM* you wake up with a mortgage one day and you can't afford games any more.

Life is great :D

I still haven't been able to break the "spell" that is on me. Despite installing some truly excellent add-ons to games I have on my PC and even re-installing old classics that usually got me playing again, I still have ZERO interest in games. But as Coldcall said, I am happy somewhere else and do not need to keep myself distracted with games. I am not perfectly happy, but I made some slight improvements and stabilized my life.

It's either that or my attention span is simply too small for 2 things. :D

• 10 months later...

The mass of competition is really good for the consumer. Seeing the same DL titles spring up not just for PCs, but for consoles as well, with varying prices, is something fairly new, and lovely.

The consumer (at least here in the UK) has firmly ignored the RRP on console games (

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
It would be a lot easier for me to finish games and sell/trade them if I stopped buying so many open world games which are rather massive and keep luring me back from the ones I'm currently playing. Same deal with RPGs, I don't need any more 40+ hour games.

Where do you find the time for so many games anyway? I get that you obviously don't have time to play them all, but still - are you some sort of evil gaming genius who finished games very quickly?

I've been asking myself this for some time now, FA seems to have played them all. I don't think he likes having all this time though. Understandable.

I'm fairly proficient, having kept my hand in with most of the genres for quite a few years now, so if I want to I can usually chew through games fairly quickly. Additionally, insomnia gives me more time in which to do it, although things have been slowed lately because of aikido. Having picked up things like Sniper Elite, Driver San Francisco and Deus Ex HR, I've made rapid progress only to be lured back in to things like Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Mercs 2, The Saboteur, etc. It's really slowed things down to the point where I now have a huge backlog to deal with.

You are going to slow your addiction down a bit on the run up to XCOM Enemy Unknown right? That's going to require a lot of time (hopefully).

I was going to ask if you thought your PC would play it, but then happily remembered that it's also being released on consoles so you're onto a winner there - even if you do feel dirty playing it without a mouse and keyboard :blush:

I'll make time for it. :blush:

As long as they remember to allow you to click through your units with the shoulder buttons, it will be a doddle. The PS3 pad is essentially the same as the pad with which I played X-Com EU on PS1. Shouldn't be too hard! :)