Steam X-Com

BladeFireLight

I just got the Steam version of X-Com.. Talk about a haphazard setup. It looks like some one took the Windows install, Copied all the Files from the 1.0 Dos version, patched it and tossed in the DosBox sub folders for good measure. Talk about a lot of unused junk.

As I'm setting up XcuSetup to recognize the mess and allow it to work for both Win and Dos at the same time. You think anyone would care if I just deleted all the extra trash? or is Steam going to freak and replace the junk?

-Blade FireLight

It shouldn't replace it as it's solely acting as an initial downloader and launching platform (you can launch it without Steam running if you find where it puts the files).

I'm sure someone will be along later to address your other points as various folk hereabouts helped get it up there.

It should be the CE build dumped on top of the 1.4 DOS version - not the other way around. Not sure if it would even run that way, as CE expects certain files to have more data in 'em (eg the fonts).

Originally it was just the DOS version alone (as DOSBox worked on more systems then CE with less effort, due to the issues with Vista), however I recommended to the guy in charge to combine them so that people could choose (in some cases, CE is more likely to work then DOSBox, due to lower horsepower requirements). Combining the games results in a smaller install size then two concurrent copies, due to the amount of files they share.

But I won't be blamed for the duplicated DOSBox sub-folders: I did point that out to him, I guess he never got around to ripping 'em out... :D

I suspect Steam would simply replace any files you delete - if it spots the change. It does hash-checks on occasion, I'm not sure what triggers them. Might only be when an "update" is released - but that's unlikely to happen any more for these particular titles.

I no longer have it installed myself, as I switched hard drives and haven't had any need to put it back on again (so I haven't seen the Steam version since before the CE files were added to it). To test it yourself, I guess all you need to do delete a file of your choice with Steam completely closed down, then fire it up and use that to launch the game. See what happens.

From a user's point of view, I doubt anyone will know or care, so long as the files you remove don't reduce functionality. I do realise a bunch of files from the DOS install are redundant, but they add up to somewhere under ~200kb, so... yeah. ;)

The "Verify Integrity" option replaces any changed files but leaves new files alone. The issue with that is for XcomUtil to wok in DosBox on 64bit windows XcuSetup has to be run inside of DosBox. For Joe User to do that they need to understand how to modify the DosBox.conf or ufocd.bat

I'm hopping the Integrity check isn't automatic as my plan is to replace ufocd.bat and have it trigger XcuSetup if it has been run or to give you the option to do again so before starting the game.

If some one wants to run CE they will have to know mess with the folder directly anyway and can run XcuSetup and runXcom.bat themselves.

No, the integrity check is not automatic.

Thank goodness for that. I going to have the XcomUtil installer replace the batch file Steam triggers with one that will give a menu for running xcomutil setup again, run the game or remove XcomUtil. That is only if the install path includes the word "Steam"

• 4 weeks later...
Hi folks, this is my first post here. I've bought this bundle as I'm a huge UFO fan and aim to play this on a netbook. I heard that the BMan mod has support for keyboard shortcuts but I'm struggling on how to install any mod. The Steam version doesn't have a "data" folder that contains a System.xbg file. Are all the mods available actually for a different version of XCom?