Favorite rifles.

SoulBrotherKab

I was wondering what people's favorite rifles in the game are.

So far I have several M4s, a couple AK47s and HK33s, and a XM8.

As for sniper rifles, couple SR-25s, one MSG90, and one Barret .50 cal.

I only have one M60 Echo and one Soviet PK machine gun.

I really like the Barret, but it's pretty heavy, making my sniper lady close to being overloaded. And the MSG90 is pretty good too, but having only a 5 round capacity sucks.

As far as assault rifles, I dunno...I managed to capture a couple M4s early on, so I've been using them alot. Now I'm able to build them and built one a each to compare. The AK47 seems okay...good damage, but accuracy sucks. HK33 seems to be a good middle ground between M4s and AKs. And the XM8...I'm not really sure about this one. Great accuracy, but the damage seems kinda low. I'm not sure how much that will hurt me later on.

Just so every knows, I have 9 days until the alien ship arrives...I don't know what's going to happen and I'm a little ascared! I have all of Europe under my thumb, most of North Africa and European Russia. Also, I'm bumping into the Cultists in the Middle East right now. I plan on taking them out because the next closest Cultist territories are in China and south South America.

Though I don't necessarily like it, I found the XM8 to be the be-all-end-all rifle despite its lower damage. It did make my otherwise non-combat soldiers into fairly competent attackers. However, I must admit that my style of play at the time had rifles relegated to suppression fire duty. My main form of offence was by way of dual colt submachines or a heavy machine gun.

Can't remember the names of the sniper rifles, but did use a mixture of them as they're all useful. Towards the end, I switched to the energy variants. I think it was the sonic stun weapon. Think it went by USG?. It as my main 'energy' weapon to take down the later enemies that don't take damage from hard rounds. It stops them in a permanent manner. At least I used it mainly until I realized there were other good energy weapons that worked just as well.

With the heavy machine guns, the PKM is my pick. However, I find that it doesn't matter which of the heavy machine guns you use. If you have an android that has his career and advancement dedicated around mastering the heavy machine gun, any one of them eventually produce way too much firepower than you'll reasonably need. Too much for cultists, but just about right for the Wargot power suits and the elite Wargots (the ones wearing helmets).

- NKF

Yeah, I have a Cyborg that's a Gunman. I also have 4 Human Troopers, 3 Human Snipers, 1 Psionic Sniper, a Psionic Leader/Medic, and a Human Technician/Medic. I'm currently working on a Human Commando.

I like snipers. They're bad ass. Oddly though all my snipers are women...

Anyway, I have a question about the under barrel grenade launchers. I've fired them about 3 times. 2 indoors and 1 outside and some weirdness has happened. On the inside, all of the grenades hit the ceiling and blew up. The one I shot outside arched almost straight up and landed about half way between the shooter and his target, a Reticulan alien about 20 squares away, I guess? What's up with that?

Oh, I forgot to mention rifles. I haven't really decided which I like between the HK33 and M4. They're both pretty similar. I believe the M4 has slightly better range, but more recoil (less accuracy in burst), and the HK33 has slightly less recoil and range...making it more accurate in burst mode.

But I do think I like the XM8 more. It's 50 points well damage than the HK33/M4 and 100 less than the AK47, but it's practically a sniper rifle AND it fires pretty fast. As for the AK47, it's okay I guess. I usually give it to a Scout when I don't want him to have a shotgun for a specific map or mission.