Legend

Civilian

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ;)

I am a bit disappointed, though. I had hoped to turn this into some kind of very long-lasting campaign and after some technical problems at the start it really worked out great. Sadly a tiny tiny tiny miscalculation (or better a small error in the planning phase) ended the thing for good.

I wonder if things would have been different if I had chosen to use some cannon tanks? Sectopods are a bit more vulnerable to their armour-piercing rounds AND the cannon tanks have more ammo.

Oh well, time for a new campaign idea I guess. That is If I only could think of anything similar... my brain is so empty these days.... :D

No matter how well you play, there's always the matter of the dice: The aliens only need to get lucky once, but you need to get lucky a whole bunch of times.

But it's only the possibility of losing that grants any real value to success. :D

Regarding the use of rockets on Sectopods, sure they get 20% damage reduction, but AP cannon rounds do 0-120 damage - tank rockets deal 42-127 (80% of which is still 33-101). It averages out slightly in favour of the rockets.

Then there's the point of the explosive hitting all four segments of the Sectopod at once. That is to say, it's more like ~300% rated damage from a rocket (80% times 4, minus a bit as not all segments of the target are at the blast center). Your main problem is getting past the Sectopod's armor - frontal assaults tend to block out most damage from any source. Get around behind it, or fool it into turning around, if you can.

For what it's worth, the cannon tank is cheaper and can fire up to three shots a turn (as opposed to the rocket tank's maximum of two shots). But against large units, explosives are usually the way to go.

Thanks for the info about the tanks, BombBloke! You guys are really amazing, literally Ufopedia's on two legs :D:)

Sadly I could not get behind the Sectopods, they spawned in corners of my rather small base and divided my tanks into three groups. Unluckily the smallest group in the middle was occupied with the Ethereals from the north and could not help, those aliens surely had a clever strategic plan this time... :)

I wish there was a way to play a whole campaign as the Aliens in Xcom, maybe beginning with Humans invading mars and the last mission being on earth. Basically a mirrored Xcom world...

About the possible next campaign: I browsed through dozens of youtube videos about Xcom, looked into the fanfiction section, read several campaign idea threads, ... still no idea. I will wait some days, usually good ideas need time to develop ;)

In the meantime, if you haven't done it before, may I entice you to try the one-man, one-pistol superhuman floater base assault? Imagine the movie Groundhog day and you'll do fine. :D

By the way, were you using the help from alien research XComutil feature? If not, get to researching the small launcher as soon as you can and find a decent supply of stun bombs. On beginner difficulty, they blow sectopods away with 1 - 2 hits thanks to the 1/2 armour. On other levels they will probably require more hits, but are still effective.

- NKF

Yes, the research help option was activated, but Small Launchers weren't usable or researched. I would have used the StunRod or the Laser pistol, BUT the only human was wounded and could not take part in the battle, so it was a tanks only fight.

The one man one pistol idea, well that would be a good idea for a single mission, agreed (I love the movie btw).

However I want a campaign scenario to work with.

In my desperation I tried a regular campaign on superhuman, only to be disgusted by the extremely low difficulty. I mean, I had Heavy Lasers and the first month wasn't even finished yet! At that rate the game would have been over in march. :D

Then I played around with some of the mapeditors from the download section, only to realize that the terrain is NOT changing the game in the slightest way. I thought about swapping some graphic files, maybe replacing EU aliens/weapons with TFTD aliens and adjusting their stats accordingly or even swapping the humans with aliens, but again: Changed graphics do not make a huge difference.

One idea that does sound interesting would be an entirely pacifistic campaign (inspired by this https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=M...er#Neo-Pacifist ) : No shooting down UFOs, no killed Aliens, only LTL equipment. I gonna think that one through, I do not want to lose another long campaign again, only because of a missed loop hole for the Aliens. ;)

The biggest problem is that I do not want to use grenades as described in the ^ link, so an idea is needed on how to win the last battle.

Psionics, an armed alien and parking a tank in front of the brain? As long as you don't mind the aliens doing the dirty work.

I mentioned a tank, but you may want to make it a ritual to dispose of its ammo at the start of the mission at the earliest safest opportunity. Think of it as fireworks to announce your arrival. :D Makes using tanks more expensive, but you get its utility.

Don't remember if I've done it before, but I can see a few key points to this campaign would involve managing stun bomb supplies and how to work around containment overcrowding.

The one man one pistol idea, well that would be a good idea for a single mission, agreed (I love the movie btw).

However I want a campaign scenario to work with.

It's to fill in time before the start of your next epic campaign. ;) If you do try a mission, be sure to bring in at least 15 or more pistol clips. Those reapers are a real glutton for punishment.

- NKF

Good ideas, NKF! But I think I found a solution: I will work my way right to 1 feet of the mother brain and then finish the game by "insta-winning" the game via the Xcomhack editor. That way I can pretend that somehow they managed to convince the brain to stop the invasion.

Maybe by arranging a dinner with some other single brain? :D;)

Tanks.... Well to make the campaign more interesting and difficult I wanted to avoid using them completely.

There is one other thing that I wanted to try this time: I wanted to keep all soldiers that are hired at the start (or the replacements when somebody dies), no matter if they have a PSI defence of -357 or a bravery of 1. Finding ways to keep them alive and useful should be challenging, especially in a completely pacifistic campaign :)

I will start a new thread when I begin the new campaign. Which should be shortly, you guys really know how to get someone off the ground and into a new campaign! :) Thanks a lot for everything!

Sigh, the game is still unstable and every time now a tac mission starts one or two soldiers appear in mid-air our randomly outside the Skyranger. Robot Hobbes spawned in an house on the last mission and was shot right away by a muton that seemingly lived there... :D

Oh man! Dead again? I hate when that happens ;)