Apocalypse - Please insert CD-ROM

Pete

I keep getting a message in Apocalypse - Steam DOSBox version - saying something like "please insert the CD-ROM".

Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but it also Diesnt always happen at the same point. Times I've seen it include saving/loading a game and loading a combat mission.

I'm assuming it's something to do with DOSBox not being able to consistently trick the game into thinking there's a CD in the drive but I'm not sure.

Any of you boffins with this version know what the deal is here? I'm running Windows 7 if that helps.

I have no solid solutions, but perhaps you could try upgrading DOSBox?

For all I know Steam will've been updating it for you, but when they released Apoc they were using 0.70 - it's now up to 0.73.

The path to the game should look something like:

c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\xcom apocalypse\

Good thinking - I'll give it a try. Might be a while til I know if it works or not as last night I saw it once in 3 hours and that was when I was quitting the game :D

I doubt they will be updating DOSBox over at Steam but if this fixes the issue we can at least let them know it needs upgrading.

Ah, well that's a slight disappointment. It would be better if it shipped with a utility like this (I say like as the folks at steam probably have their own tools for this) and it was all set up this way from the start.

Better yet, it should just work with DOSBox full stop.

I'll look into this and report back anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a heads up, that 'copy x files to fix CD-problems' either doesn't really work, or doesn't always work. I very rarely get it anymore, but it still happens.

That or I managed to completely screw that up three or four different tries after another.

• 1 year later...