Base Assault screen glitch in DOSbox.

WolfenMage

Well.

I was playing the dos version of X-COM (in DOSbox) and began an assault on one of the many enemy bases that are around. I have no idea why, but the cursor displays after-images in unexplored areas.

I uploaded an image of it.

How do I fix this? Oh yeah, there was only ONE Hovertank/Plasma in the image. The others are after-images.

post-7198-1261313031_thumb.png

I've encountered this a few times without DOSBox and my only solution was to save, totally exit the game, then run the game and reload the mission. Not sure what causes this. Have you tried changing (increasing) the cycles in DOSBox? That might solve it.

Actually, now that I look at your pic you have the cycles set at max already. Maybe lower it then. :D

- Zombie

I've encountered this a few times without DOSBox and my only solution was to save, totally exit the game, then run the game and reload the mission. Not sure what causes this. Have you tried changing (increasing) the cycles in DOSBox? That might solve it.

Actually, now that I look at your pic you have the cycles set at max already. Maybe lower it then. :D

- Zombie

Thanks for the help Zombie! Lowering the CPU cycles worked, and now the graphics are fine.

One possibility is that your copy has a damaged alien base module. The cross corridor. This was present in some earlier releases of the game.

- NKF

That is probably also related to the fact that the game (battlescape) has no floorplan for the Avenger or Lightning, (the former has the ship nowhere to be found, but the latter had screwy graphics and floorplan (but standing on a tile still wouldn't count as being in the "Exit Area")...

But there is no problem now, I transfered the files from a backup of the core files and saves kept on my Zip Drive and the Craft and Base glitches stopped. :D

You know, that actually reminds me of a similar problem that relates to the hall-of-mirrors effect.

The X-COM base Hangar. I can't remember the exact conditions, as in whether damage has been done to it or if it occurs naturally, but sometimes you can see a few pixel sized holes in the floor tiles that produce the same effect. Just tiny gaps, but they do stand out. I wonder if it's just a few pixels missing from the tile set?

- NKF

I can tell you that MCD[126] is sometimes placed oddly: as a "content" tile instead of a ground tile. Take a look at map module XBASE_17, for example, at the SW-most point - you'll see there are two tiles there when there should only be one.

Whether or not that has anything to do with it, I dunno...

I forgot to mention that I had tried using XCUSETUP.BAT earlier, but all that happened was a Command Prompt window opened, and filled up with text that is in the attached image. In DOSbox it said the same only at the bottom, it said to remove Write Protection on UFO1A, unfortunately, I have no idea how to do that :D . That could have corrupted the map files, but on the CE, it worked perfectly.

post-7198-1261506451_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The X-COM base Hangar. I can't remember the exact conditions, as in whether damage has been done to it or if it occurs naturally, but sometimes you can see a few pixel sized holes in the floor tiles that produce the same effect. Just tiny gaps, but they do stand out. I wonder if it's just a few pixels missing from the tile set?

Aha! Found it!

Xbase2[30] (damaged hangar flooring) is indeed missing a pixel from it's left-most edge (the SW corner).

• 3 weeks later...
I forgot to mention that I had tried using XCUSETUP.BAT earlier, but all that happened was a Command Prompt window opened, and filled up with text that is in the attached image. In DOSbox it said the same only at the bottom, it said to remove Write Protection on UFO1A, unfortunately, I have no idea how to do that :D . That could have corrupted the map files, but on the CE, it worked perfectly.

With the latest build of XcomUtil 9.7 you can run the installer from windows once then again from inside DosBox to fix issues like this.

The first run in Windows will remove the read-only flag from all game files and if any folder is not writable change the ACL's to allow all users to write to them.

Second run use "XcuSetup lastop skip" to re-run with the same options and use the 16bit EXE's

-Blade FireLight