Gratuitous Space Battles: Tribe

FullAuto

Gratuitous Space Battles, from Positech Games AKA Cliff Harris, has got an expansion, called Tribe:

The Tribe are the latest race to enter the fray in Gratuitous Space Battles. Known for their patronizing attitude and their use of kinetic weapons, plus their cunning ability to somehow squeeze auto-repair systems into frigates, the tribe are here to sort out the warring factions and bring peace in our time.

The Tribe is an expansion pack for Gratuitous Space Battles. It's for people who have played the original game enough that they crave new ship designs and scenarios, and want more variety in the game.

It contains:

11 New ships. 4 Cruisers 3 Frigates and 4 fighters, all in a new graphical style by the same artist who did the original GSB artwork.

1 New weapon type: The kinetic weapon. Basically autocannons, howitzers etc. These fire rapid-fire bursts which are good at short range, not so good at long range

Enhanced repair modules. The tribe are great at repair, and their repair modules are race-specific and out-perform everyone else's.

New ship bonuses. The tribe ships have only half the shield and armor strength of everyone else, but they have twice as strong hulls as their opponents. This means Tribe ships seem to be on-fire and falling apart for half the battle. It also means you need to re-think your tactics.

2 New Scenarios. Two maps for you to fight against the tribe, or for you to use in uploaded challenges with whichever fleet you like.

It does not contain:

Completely new gameplay modes, and major features that change how the game plays, any new AI orders... basically anything that is not listed in the list above. This is basically a data-pack with new ships, not a sequel or gameplay re-write.

No worries - I'll be interested to see the review as I get the impression it's the sort of game you can pick up and be blasting things into tiny little pieces in a relatively short space of time, which is more my kind of game lately.

Mine, too. That is why I play Quake Live, he he he!

As far as strategy goes, I want them empires.

Really looking forward to this review as well!

Mine, too. That is why I play Quake Live, he he he!

As far as strategy goes, I want them empires.

Really looking forward to this review as well!

My impossible dream for this game would be that a 4x game with a relatively strong diplomacy and management model but a weak combat system would "absorb" or co-op with this game; to actually have combat for your pain-stakingly built empires and developed technologies.

Bet you can even guess which one I was thinking of.