#41 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 20th December 2009, 12:36am, said:

Ahhh, so you can simply plaster colonies from orbit, but it's better to capture them with assaults?
There are a couple ways how a colony can be destroyed. You can nuke it to kingdom come and make it uninhabitable for anyone. If you go for assault shuttles there will be quite some damage to infrastructure but none to the environment. But you will still kill everybody (imperials and civilians) unless it is your own race - because for your own race you have sufficient Xenotech "researched" and colonies with civilians only can surrender to you.

For other races you need to research that Xenotech or blast them all.

And than there are bio-war technologies. If you kill off the population with plague all the infrastructure will remain. I don't know why but I really dislike those.

#42 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,488 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

"I don't know why but I really dislike those."
Could it be because you'd especially hate to be on the receiving end of one of those? :D

As things escalate it's quickly becoming evident that a good deal of forethought is required to both make offensives count and run your empire in a sustainable way financially.

::

I was also particularly amused by your researchers' visible embarrassment at having gone overbudget... ;)

#43 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

He he he, those pics are great. Morrigi are ashamed, Tarka scientist commits suicide, when it happens to Humans you see the real reason (scientists stuffing money into their own pockets)...

My dislike for bio war is not due to not liking the receiving end - I don't like to be at the receiving end of any weapon. It is just that it is banned by the Geneva convention. :D I'd rather put a bullet in somebody than make him terminally ill and wait for him to die miserably.

And cloaking+bio war cruisers are more or less the end of the AI. It feels like cheating.

Anyway, I'm uploading a movie of the fist turn of Morrigi-Zuul war. I'll probably post it tomorrow.

#44 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

As promised...

We finally see what we are up against!
Posted Image

Morrigi Zuul war begins

This is the first turn of the battle. In SotS battles often go on for multiple turns.

So what did you see?

Firstly I sent my drone carriers to run away. I kept CnC with missile cruisers at the side to not be entangled either.

In closeups (0:20) you can see that Zuul actually DO have point defence! It didn't do much difference though because 1) my drones and missiles overwhelmed it 2) there simply wasn't enough of it and 3) my research into faster speeds and turning rates paid off! Hitting these buggers is much harder now!

I didn't follow the drone carriers and first Zuul wave with missile carriers, it was clear those drones will do their job. And those Zuul ships that did catch up (Zuul ships are one of the fastest in combat, but least strong) were electrocuted by the ships, too (1:25).

CnC and missiles were sent toward the colony and Zuul reinforcements (1:35).

The first Zuul wave was dealt with (2:10).

A closeup of Zuul CnC ship (2:35) and its boarding pods (2:40-2:43).

Zuul CNC fires its dumbfire (3:13)! This poor man's projectors (those will likely have to wait for another TAR) can be devastating especially if they would research more missile warhead techs. They probably didn't as even planetary missiles didn't do much damage.

My drones are dealing with Zuul satellites in the distance (3:50) while my ships are perfectly safe... Drones are absolutely phenomenal for this job. At least until the enemy spams missile PD (an advanced PD against drones and torpedoes - but won't target other missiles) or emitters etc..

As last Zuul ship is being destroyed I line up assault shuttles to be next in the reserve list (4:25).

Drone carriers are sent into reserves (4:30) so that assault shuttles can enter the battle. Two actually entered before because one of my drone destroyers was destroyed and my outnumbering bunus got higher - our ships now outnumbered Zuul forces more than at the beginning...

Sadly all the non-docked drones were lost (4:31). A waste but time is of the essence. I need those shuttles over Zuul planet NOW!

Shuttles are launched (4:39 and 4:44).

Missiles are put into 2. weapon group (5:22) and it is set to hold fire. I don't want the planet to be radioactive desert.

A nice view of shuttle strafe runs (5:49).

The round ended in draw as the colony was not destroyed. But we are definitely victors. Our repair cruisers have no problems with repairing our ships and supplying new drones.
Posted Image

The destruction we left behind:
Posted Image

Funny, Climate Hazard number is green, meaning that the planet got MORE hospitable during the battle! That is not cause by the lesser number of Zuul but by the weapon CH effect as SotS simulates it. Missiles move the CH slider to the left and since Zuul ideal CH is to the right of ours - the missiles "Morrigiformed" the planet. Need to be VERY careful with this though as that slider can go by pretty fast. Nice to know though that I need not worry about some stray missiles over Zuul planets.

The fleet layout is changed so that there are as little missiles in the next turn and all the assault shuttles are present.
Posted Image

Last step in missile and drone research for a while.
Posted Image

See you all in next battle! It will not be as detailed in descriptions but you'll see it whole. EDIT; But if all goes well the colours won't be swapped any more! A nice admin at MediaCoder forum responded and this obviously helped others with same problems!

#45 FullAuto

FullAuto

Catching the next pimpmobile outta here!

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was scrolling up and down going "How dare you taunt me with a description of the battle and no link to the vid, what are you playing at?"

Erfworld - the finest comic about turn-based gaming ever.

#46 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

View PostFullAuto, on 21st December 2009, 2:23pm, said:

I was scrolling up and down going "How dare you taunt me with a description of the battle and no link to the vid, what are you playing at?"
But you DID find it eventually, right? Being a huge font and a link? :D

EDIT; I know embedding would be better but I have no idea how to do it.

#47 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Aye, I found it.

Eventually.   :D

#48 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,488 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

On that first screenshot I notice 'Slaves: 0'. Did the Zuul ship them off somewhere or were they all dead already by the time you got there from being too overworked? Despicable Zuul vermin! ;)

But, to quote Tuco: "I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise." (Eli Wallach, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly", 1966). In this case with some fireworks as the fatter ships broke apart under your own's salvoes. :)

As for the battle analysis, I think your textual description serves to demonstrate the amount of failsafes one has to put in place in anticipation of a confrontation. It's really something else when compared to GalCiv II. :D

And what of the bigger picture? Do you know where the bulk of their fleet is?

Watch your tail for eventual Zuul payback, SV...

#49 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 21st December 2009, 7:52am, said:

EDIT; I know embedding would be better but I have no idea how to do it.
I'll have to discuss this with the other admins first as the current forum setup is to disallow posting of HTML by everyone, including staff and admins. :D Security reasons obviously, but I always thought we could be trusted not to post malicious code. ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#50 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

:D Aaaah, that is why the YouTube's own instructions seemed so wrong... "It's so simple, just copy paste the code in the embed box".

You can see the result in the Trash can.

Actually IMO security may be more important. I can post the link to the video, that is enough. I don't plan to have as many vids as I have pics, I'll just use a bigger text size so that it is noticeable.

BTW, the encoding works without a problem now! I won't upload the same video again unless there is a special wish - although the only difference would be red'n'blue swap. You'll see plenty of real colours in the future. I'll waste my time on new battles instead.

@Thorondor; Zuul don't have civilians (and trade) but they can "harvest" slaves! Those can speed up Zuul development immensely. They die whatever you do but you can press them harder, get more industrial output and higher death rate.

Zuul definitely are interesting, COMPLETELY different from all others from all perspectives.

If a world surrenders to them all civvies become slaves. If they harvest slaves from other Zuul and drop gathered Zuul on a new colony you get instant imperial population. Hugely cool.

Their main fleet is unknown but IMO they are fighting Tarka the hardest. They will shift their strategy, no doubt.

#51 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

Could you put a rival empire off expanding your way by nuking a 'barrier' of planets between your bubble of space and theirs, making it an unattractive to explore in your direction?

#52 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

View PostFullAuto, on 22nd December 2009, 12:07am, said:

Could you put a rival empire off expanding your way by nuking a 'barrier' of planets between your bubble of space and theirs, making it an unattractive to explore in your direction?
An interesting thought, really... This is not possible because you can't start a battle if there is no enemy present.

You can mine them dry though - after you research asteroid mining. But rest assured, a barren planet or two never stopped anybody from exploring further.

BTW, I DID upload the corrected video. So if anyone wants to see how things actually look, click on that title again. EDIT; I guess I'm unable to make EVERYthing right. No sound this time.  :D

#53 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

Next turn reveals an unfair fight. Not that I mind.
Posted Image

First Zuul colony ends in ruins!

We colonize with one colonizer - for refuelling purposes. It is a very cheap colony so why not?
Posted Image

With nothing utterly urgent we go for speed.
Posted Image

We divide the fleet and leave two cruisers behind.
Posted Image

This is why;
Posted Image

There is an enemy ship closing in. Those two are left as guards while the fleet has better things to do.

The incoming ship was destroyed, not even worth a screen of your time.

But next battle was (somewhat) interesting.

The enemy has no CnC ship so their fleet is very easily manageable. The highlights of the battle are some great ship designs!

We start by diving into asteroid shadow to avoid missiles. It becomes clear that there is no CnC so we close in.

At 2:56 you see some Zuul colonizers. Love those Zuul designs, can't help it.

At 3:20 I go for assault shuttles again but I can't send the missile cruisers into reserves because the enemy is too near. At 4:31 assault shuttles arrive. Closeup of one at 4:45.

And than at 5:13 - Zuul harvesters. Scary stuff. I think each can hold up to 50 million slaves! Mind you, the harvesting run you do in battle is just a simplification of many runs that would occur "in reality". So don't start by "where are they stored". And you know, gameplay first...

Just as a side info; I'm taking all videos without pausing the game and without playing the battle in advance or any sort of cheating. That is why the battle may seem confusing at times - because I did not pause the game, think things over and optimize the whole lot. I usually DO pause, but this would mean I'd have to edit the movies, too.  :laugh: Perhaps in another TAR.

At the end of this TAR I'll explain how the strategy in it is different from a "standard" game. Better said, how a small game differs from a large game. And what you see is a small game.

#54 FullAuto

FullAuto

• Chief Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

EDIT; I guess I'm unable to make EVERYthing right. No sound this time.

Don't worry, I regularly make my own sound effects when watching any space battles.

#55 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

The result of the previously viewed battle:
Posted Image

Checking the incoming Zuul reinforcements we decide to stay.

Next battle leaves the Zuul colony crippled. Not destroyed but crippled enough not to be a source of income. Considering that Zuul are probably sending everything they have to this colony... why not move?! It will be a surprise as we can get to Sphinx in a single turn!
Posted Image
We don't have enough fuel to get back to our colony so we might as well leave this crippled colony and go destroy another. We'll be back, don't worry. The only problem is that for refuelling our refineries will have to refine the fuel. That also means that the next Zuul colony will have to be destroyed and all enemies cleared or we will be stuck.

Posted Image
Ok, so perhaps Zuul didn't send everything to Scaramouche. Well damn.

Posted Image
All went well. Zuul are fielding more PD yet our drone and missile numbers are overwhelming.

New round!
Posted Image

Heh, have to show you this one...
Posted Image
A whole lot of identified flying objects! Drones at the enemy, shuttles en route to the colony. Beautiful. The enemy might not see the beauty of the moment, though if anyone can realize the beauty of his own destruction, it would have to be a Zuul.

Research goes for some much needed, long overdue sensory techs.
Posted Image
They are so "old news" that the projected time is one turn only. It will combine the sensors of all ships in the sensory battle view. Well, how did I live this long without it, huh?! Because for all practical purposes they were combined from the start. Drones and missiles can go beyond the sensors range of their own ship as long as one our or allied ship sees the enemy. The only drawback was not showing that picture to me.
You can go a long way without this tech but the ones linked to it are more crucial. Not in a game this small I guess but always nice to see more.

We have no fear waiting for incoming turns yet we feel uneasy not being able to move.
Posted Image

#56 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,488 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

Not to ruffle thy feathers, SV, but I believe that's what they call a "sitting duck"? :D

I say bring them on - the more the merrier! ;)

#57 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

View PostThorondor, on 23rd December 2009, 11:06am, said:

Not to ruffle thy feathers, SV, but I believe that's what they call a "sitting duck"? :D

I say bring them on - the more the merrier! ;)
HELL YEAH!

From what I have seen so far the fleet should be able to hold its own. The only thing that could seriously endanger it would be a dreadnought or a larger cruiser fleet with a lot of PD. But we have more in store. Two new fleets are being built and our lack of industrial capacity is slowly showing - we have loads of dough (see pics). Naturally in DN era that would not be too much, those cost plenty. I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of them but you never know.

#58 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Christmas update!

No red hats and ho ho hos, sorry. Just war.

The result of our previous research - a cruiser sized fusion era gravship! Makes our fleets a lot faster. For a high price.
Posted Image

State of the empire:
Posted Image
We are well established over the rift and those colonies make our starting half a much safer place. They are prime targets for our enemies as they are at their doorstep.

Sphinx' last breath.
Posted Image

Research goes into sensors.
Posted Image
Actually we could stop all research now and just build ships till the end of the game probably but we don't have enough industrial capacity anyway (we went trade heavy), so research goes on. PERHAPS, if all worlds were producing all the time etc. but I can't be bothered to gather ships from all colonies unless it is an emergency. And it is not.

There went Sphinx. I was thinking about refining fuel, but with the money we have we can afford to just build a colony and have a permanent refuelling station.
Posted Image

Zuul don't like our choice, though. Than again, there isn't much about us that they like anyway.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Having a baby colony to guard I took all the precautions I thought were necessary. The gravboat was put in the field in front of the rest, all drone army. I don't know why, I just like them and trust them more than missiles. The plan was for the gravboat to lure the enemy after it. It will probably be destroyed but while lasting it would slow down the enemy (the grav effect) and give sensors coverage to our drone fleet so that it can operate from safe distance.

Battle started and Zuul brought a CnC ship, so they had full ranks.
Posted Image
Our emitter drones don't do a lot of damage to these cruisers individually, but there are just so many of little stings...

Our plan works. The gravboat leads the enemy so that they don't get close to the colony.
Posted Image
Not only that, it survives until the last cruiser from the first wave is destroyed and is put into reserves.

The rest of the battle was easy as that CnC we saw... was the only one. A BIG mistake and the rest is just a mop up. Battle report shows what did the damage.
Posted Image
Hmmmm, interesting... The report does not include drones in any way, neither the presence of emitters in the fight nor the damage dealt with them. Which means it really doesn't show much this time.

The next fleet was only two ships so we leave a small guard and head back to Scaramouche.
Posted Image

There is something eerily beautiful in destroying Zuul colonies. As if the planet breathed a little easier.
Posted Image

I'm sick of only giving orders from a tactical view in the battle. This will allow me to give them in sensors view as well.
Posted Image

Ok, that is it for now. The future looks bright and feathery!

I'll probably tone down on updating about every move, the game progresses faster if I don't constantly take pics, organize them etc.. This game needs to be finished so that we can move on to something more challenging.

#59 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,488 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the lavish update, SV. You sure took the Zuul on a wild goose chase with that Mk 2 Gravboat. :D

Very gullible for a bunch of fiendish slavers if you ask me. CnC ship in tow or not they got whooped...

I don't know what spectrum of light is visible to the Morrigi, but to me planets seem to really stand out visually in terms of quality when compared to ships or asteriods. ;)

#60 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

True, planets are a lot more beautiful. Also every race gets its own planetary design so that it is evident who's planet you're destroying...

The war rages on!

Having freed Scaramouche we decide it is time to pay Tarka a visit.
Posted Image

Ah, but our intel was outdated!
Posted Image
This happens when you don't invest into sensory research enough! Not that I mind, killing Zuul is always good.

I did some thinking about where to invest our pretty big research... The game is (hopefully) nearing the happy ending so those would have to be technologies applicable immediately or they will never see the light of day. One way to go would be antimatter and possible missile and drone upgrades but this would take a lot of time.

Than again, Zuul are almost finished. So my main goal is to deal with Tarka with as little hassle as possible. My weapons should at least hold Tarka at bay even if they come up with something ingenious. Though this could be a real problem. My ships are VERY specialized right now. And my research was all invested into further specializations. I actually have no alternative right now, but I could get some basic ones fast with my income.

Anyway, I can RP some more into peaceful trader thing and all and go for Tarka Xenotechs. At least we'll be able to talk to each other. If that won't stop the war I may at least not need to kill them all.

So that is what we did.
Posted Image
Translate Urdu Kai - Gutter dialect - Incorporate - Kona Kai - Subjugate.

As soon as we were able we made several diplomatic attempts.
Posted Image

This one is just too funny. What do Morrigi scientists do in their spare time?
Posted Image

Visiting an independent colony we have an interesting surprise!
Posted Image
It was the swarm! This late into the game... Who would have thought. I tried to make a movie out of it but the damn battle was so short it was really not worth it. I wouldn't be able to do any good closeups, emitter drones ate them that fast... Going for them was definitely a good decision although they ruined a good movie. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AAR, SotS, Morrigi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users