Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

View Postmichal, on 19th November 2009, 7:34pm, said:

You're right. Hovewer there are probably more programmers who knows C++ than C#
I disagree; I would say that there are many people familiar with the C style programming languages, not with C++ itself, I believe it's actually quite hard to get experienced and good C++ programmers, have you ever done anything relatively large with it? I swear the memory leaks and pointer problems alone are a great barrier to overcome by themselves; and still you have to deal with actually doing anything 3d. Anyone familiar with C++ should require a very little time to get used with C#, and then there's the .NET Framework which shouldn't really take long, especially if you're proficient with Java, and trust me, it's not that hard.

Nowadays I'd say it's not incredibly hard to find people proficient with .NET or Java, or people willing to learn, and with the advantage that a managed language is much easier to develop in than one like C++. In the long run you'll probably regret not going for managed.

Veteran, in six months there was a semi-working geoscape, in 11 months the geoscape was almost fully featured, only last year progress slowed down again.
Note, however, that these numbers are considering that the programming team was composed of one single programmer; i'd say it's pretty impressive progress rate considering it's a one man team, and one who isn't a kid with all the time in the world.

I'd suggest if you go the XNA route you download the XNA branch from Project Xenocide's SVN and either take some pointers or find a use for PX code for your own progress (open source, after all, no harm in asking for permission of course).
Posted Image

#22 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

What's happened to Xenocide is it officially dead now or what? The forums here are deathly quiet but I don't check the other sites so have limited knowledge. If there's no hope of reviving it then it would certainly seems a shame to waste all the hard work they've already put into it. And as I keep saying, we still need more devs so what happened to the one man army who made the geoscape? I want him! lol
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#23 ufo31415

ufo31415

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

View PostThe Veteran, on 20th November 2009, 5:34pm, said:

Cheers Michal will add it to the list lol Almost ready to start bashing this topic out with the devs so might have a decision made in the next day or two!

Please, even if your project isn't finally Open Source, at least use technologies that will make it run on Linux  !!!

#24 michal

michal

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

View Postufo31415, on 20th November 2009, 4:08pm, said:

Please, even if your project isn't finally Open Source, at least use technologies that will make it run on Linux  !!!

If they will use xna, there will still be chance (however maybe in distant future) :

http://code.google.com/p/monoxna/

#25 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Sometimes I'm happy to not know a damn thing about this. Than again, at other times I just feel stupid.  ;)

#26 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Well funny that Linux be mentioned actually as our old lead runs a linux system so in order to keep him on board as a regular dev we'd have to use something compatible with his system... It's not essential but would be a shame to lose the guy just because he runs a different OS...

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#27 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

I wouldn't bet on XNA running completely on Linux just yet.

The forums here are very quiet because PX lost almost all of its members (I would know, I was one of them ;)) and there are only a handful over at their own forums, It's technically dead but the programmer returns from time to time and gets some tasks done, but hasn't dedicated that much time since no one was giving him a hand..
dteviot is the guy behind the XNA branch of Project Xenocide :)
Posted Image

#28 PetteriB

PetteriB

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:44 PM

If you care about cross-platform compatibility, I recommend that you also check out OpenTK. It provides bindings for OpenGL, OpenCL and OpenAL and it's very easy to use if you're already familiar with aforementioned libraries.
Patch developer for UFO:AS and UFO:AL
My mods: Advanced Missions Mod | Martian Assault Mod

#29 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Thanks Az emailed him at their forums. What happened to the rest of the team? Why did everyone leave? Downloaded the last release from 2008 and they were definitely getting somewhere!
Thanks Pet but cross-platform isn't top of my list now, would rather find something that my devs are happy working in so we don't have trouble down the line!

#30 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:10 AM

View PostThe Veteran, on 20th November 2009, 11:15pm, said:

Thanks Az emailed him at their forums. What happened to the rest of the team? Why did everyone leave? Downloaded the last release from 2008 and they were definitely getting somewhere!
Thanks Pet but cross-platform isn't top of my list now, would rather find something that my devs are happy working in so we don't have trouble down the line!
The leaders of the different departments stopped ... well, leading, and it's easy to lose interest if the people calling the shots don't even show up when you need them.
All you see in the XNA branch is dteviot's work, with minor contributions from, say, me ;)
Posted Image

#31 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:37 AM

Well it all looks very nice, has most of the basic game infrastructure in place though obviously plenty of placeholders! Hopefully I'll hear back from the guy tonight as he seems fairly active over there but even some basic source code on how they programmed the geoscape would go a long way, though there are several things that I think need some seriosu attention!

What was your role Az? I guess you left when the leadership strike began, how about trying again on something a bit different?!

#32 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

At the beginning I didn't know how to code (talking about 5 years ago) so I wrote the text entries for the UFOPAEDIA, later I became the leader of the department. I did a bit of code before david finally got tired and left, reappearing esporadically.
I wouldn't mind joining a good organised project, I hate wasting time, but my schedule varies dramatically from semester to semester ;) Pending is to take a look at PX codebase as david's programming skills are top quality and there's a lot to be learnt from there.
Posted Image

#33 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:38 AM

Well I'm still waiting to hear back from the message I sent yesterday but we always have room for another good man, especially one I already know! I'm on msn at pantlessavenger@hotmail.com feel free to add me and I'll go through what we're trying to do and where we are so far ;)

#34 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

First choice XNA, second choice Ogre. Multiplatform would be great, but it's only adding about 10-15% max to the total playerbase, and if PX can be inherited, with new globe graphics and minior tweaking, that'd be awesome.

Quick questions: are the geoscape and battlescape going to be seperate programs like in UFO or all in one? and if they are going to be seperate, can the battlescape be made playable like a deathmatch game?
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#35 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

Not sure quite what you mean about the battlescape and geoscape being the same feature... Unless you're thinking along the lines of the Civ games in which case eeeew! Be sensible this is a squad based strategy game lol Feel free to elaborate so I can be a bit clearer!

#36 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

There were two seperate programs that fed info to each other. What I'm asking is if the battlescape could possibly be run without the geoscape feeding it data like it would for a mission but instead have an instant action feature where you can just go right to the battlescape and play it ufo2000 style.
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."

#37 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

Not sure I really see the benefit of playing a tactical mission off the cuff in that style to be honest. Xcom titles and their clones and successors are not sandbox games and if you can't use your own hand-picked team with weapons you choose then it's really not very likely that you'll enjoy the mission.

If of course someone is desperate to start a tactical mission they can always load the game tick a few boxes to build a base then hit '24 hours' till a ufo shows up and just launch the 'ranger or equivalent. Seems fairly unlikely that many people would want to do that though personally!

#38 Catwalk

Catwalk

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Have to disagree with you here, I think there's a lot of potential in allowing for training missions. Sometimes I just want some action without all the fuss of building up first. And I might want to practice on a particular kind of mission, like a Dreadnaught or a Colony Assault. I'd personally have a lot of fun in being given a completely random group of rookies that I can use as fodder. Combat missions where you don't have to worry about the economic side of things can definitely be a blast, in more than one sense ;)
Please check out my TFTD Ironman video campaign here, I'm grateful for any comments!

#39 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

Also makes demoing a game easier if you can release it at unfinished stages for feedback. Could be a sample mission that is just a saved game that loads up by default where the transport arrives, or it could be a full on deathmatch system.

#40 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

Well I absolutely agree that we need to be able to release different versions of our battlescape in demo format but I'm afraid even with a 2:1 ratio I'm still not entirely convinced that a 'quick-battle' option is the way forward. I see no benefit that could come from  a 'deathmatch' system as it simply doesn't fit with the genre or the franchise and as far as training missions go I don't recall saying we wouldn't have these but I don't think the choice to launch immediately into a random battle will be a popularity-affecting feature and therefore is currently not intended for inclusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users