Patches for Collectors Edition...

ApOcaLyPSe_1985

Are we talking about that old 'Gold Version' or the new one?

The new one is the Collectors Edition, which is the old gold-version reworked for Windows but the 'Gold' was kept in the name. I'm sure they're identical apart from the fact that one works for Windows.

If that's the one you're referring to, then yes, the patches have been applied, plus one or two other minor fixes, such as fixing the difficulty bug in UFO.

I'm not sure how you can check the version for UFO, except via the sound effects. You'll need to have to have an older version of the game to compare it against. But from listening to the sound effects in my copy of the game, I'm very certain it already has the patch.

For TFTD, if you can get Magnetic Navigation without the Lobsterman Navigator, then the v2 update already has already been applied.

- NKF

Are we talking about that old 'Gold Version' or the new one? 

The new one is the Collectors Edition, which is the old gold-version reworked for Windows but the 'Gold' was kept in the name. I'm sure they're identical apart from the fact that one works for Windows.

If that's the one you're referring to, then yes, the patches have been applied, plus one or two other minor fixes, such as fixing the difficulty bug in UFO. 

I'm not sure how you can check the version for UFO, except via the sound effects. You'll need to have to have an older version of the game to compare it against. But from listening to the sound effects in my copy of the game, I'm very certain it already has the patch.

For TFTD, if you can get Magnetic Navigation without the Lobsterman Navigator, then the v2 update already has already been applied.

- NKF

The collectors edition fixed the difficulty bug for the first one? I thought it didn't...

Yep, it does. I played a couple of missions on superhuman in UFO CEd, then had a look at the difficulty setting with XComutil, and it was still superhuman. In the original dos edition, it would revert to beginner, despite having the 1.4 patch applied.

Since they fixed that, why didn't they fix the base disjoint bug I wonder? It's just as annoying, especially if half of your troops are stranded.

- NKF

Yep, it does. I played a couple of missions on superhuman in UFO CEd, then had a look at the difficulty setting with XComutil, and it was still superhuman. In the original dos edition, it would revert to beginner, despite having the 1.4 patch applied.

Since they fixed that, why didn't they fix the base disjoint bug I wonder? It's just as annoying, especially if half of your troops are stranded.

- NKF

What bug is this? I don't recall seeing any such bug. not in my experiences, at least.

The base disjoint bug is where some X-Com base modules are sealed off from the rest of the base. Sometimes there'll be a wall where two base modules should connect.

Sometimes its not all that serious and you can still get to that module, but at other times, all access points into that module are sealed off with walls. This isn't too serious if no aliens or X-Com units were generated in that module. But if they are, there's no way of getting them out, so you will not be able to win the mission if aliens get stuck in their on their own.

You might be able to cut your way out with a heavy-plasma/sonic cannon or blaster bombs, but I've never personally given it a try.

XComutil has a less than elegant fix by knocking these walls out completely. It works, that's the important bit.

- NKF

I've seen this bug in UFO, but not TFTD. It's not a major issue in UFO, as long as your entire team isn't stranded in the isolated module. I have tried cutting through the wall, but it appears that the dirt in between the modules is impenetrable, even with multiple blaster bomb hits.

On a side note, an interesting feature in UFO base defense missions is that if an alien goes upstairs in one of your modules and destroys everything in that module, when you go back to the geoscape, that module, and any that were connected to it are destroyed. I once lost 8 modules this way when a lone sectoid destroyed everything in my large radar module. I had built the base for easy defense, i.e. everything connected as one long hallway. Anybody else ever seen this?

No, it's not that common in TFTD. But when it does happen, there's a very high possibility that the aliens will be stranded in these isolated sections, since some aliens are spawned in spots adjacent to all the base's access points (gives the impression they started first).

About destroying base modules: The aliens don't even have to go upstairs. All that you need is Blaster Bomb Overuse™ in any particular area, although overusing any powerful explosive can do this.

The most common indication when the module will be destroyed is when all the natural lighting in that module has become completely non-existant (TFTD bases don't have much lighting do they? Very gloomy. Gloom, gloom, gloom.). Oh, I suppose the floor needs to be ripped up badly too, but yeah.

- NKF