Surface Combat

Psy Guy

According to the plot alien alloys are weak underwater and E-115 is hard to come by now but why can't x-com use personal armor and lasers on the terror sites. There not in water and no E-115 usage. Its hard enough with gauss and the super slow sonic weapons but then they won't let you use rockets above water!!!! (plus no flying above water) I wish terror from the deep incorperated more land based weapons (or better yet land battles) I hate it when a "terror ship" flies over the land and you can take it down!

-PSY GUY- :P

I agree the game would have been much better if it allowed for surface battles with downed subs. After all if they can fly over land then they can clearly crash there! And it wouldn't have been hard for the game to allow two sets of terrain. Above and below water...

Theoretically it should be possible to use any technology from UFO in surface missions except the psi amp. So why isn't it???

U r right...

It could really cool if u can use our "old" weapons... Heavy plasma gun, and so on....

I agree with u on the fact that It strange we can't use sub sonic weapon above water... I understand that we can't use torpedoes but sonic weapon no...

But also It can be easily understand...

Usually Cydonia is destroyed 2 years (in my first game with UFO) after the beginning (in 1999), so in 2001.. TFTD start in 2040, so what happening to all the stuff and the elerium stock ?? 2 options:

- Destroyed by Xcom cause they think the plasma technology is too dangerous (think about an nuclear weapon based on Elerium)

- They decide to use all the Elerium for medical research...

Another point, what happening to Elerium in time.. Perhaps it be "polluted" by earth air and be destroyed really quickly....

So the probleme is not u can't use the all weapon, but they r destroyed and no more elerium exist on earth... But I admit that it is possible to use some technology like laser and so one...

I already worked on this question cause i made a RPG (GURPS System) base on UFO/TFTD games...

Umbriel... The small veteran

• 3 weeks later...

Well, technically (without going through plot twists) Terror From The Deep is so basic because it uses most of the same code as UFO. Microprose asked Julian Gollop and co to come up with a new game in practically no time at all, and Julian rightly said it'd be impossible to do something new, so Microprose just changed the borders, upped the graphics and repackaged it.

Anyone who's interested in teh history behind the storyline might want to check out the complete Timeline pages over at the main site :P

Well, it can work, but the palettes won't match up, so you'll have a very ... uh, interesting looking alien landscape. If you install the TFTD tilesets into UFO, you'll not be able to enjoy underwater missions. You can visit the underwater maps, but you won't get that nifty blue palette shift.

And for some reason, all the brown damaged tiles from the original tileset turned green.

Before I learnt of Apocalypse (which was a disappointment at first), I was hoping the next X-Com game would have land and sea based bases and a choice of one orbital starbase. I mean, it's the most logical progression right? Land, sea, air.

I suppose Interceptor fits that bill for that last one. But it's not quite the way I'd imagined it to be. Oh well.

Here's a thought: Wouldn't it have been more interesting if you had a large submarine or even an aircraft carrier as a mobile base in TFTD? A floating base is good and all, but it was anchored down.

- NKF

It might for some people, but for example, in the standard seabed maps, I just get scarlet sand where there should be grey sand, and for the pipes, bright green where there should be golden brown.

Perhaps a newer version of XComutil might fix that. I haven't upgraded for quite a bit.

Although the terrain selection feature is quite nifty. It's neat to have ordinary recovery missions on mars, or on in TFTD, land missions underwater. Underwater liner missions play like you're fighting through a scuttled ship...unless you look over the rails and see the waves.

- NKF