Problem in research

umbriel

Hello,

I get a problem in research. I can't get the new Xcom sub. I know plastic, I A B, sub construction but i still not able to research Manta !!!

There a particular way to get the new sub (research order). I use the collector version (for windows).

Thanks in advance for your Answer

Umbriel

The prerequisite for the Manta is Sub Construction and Magnetic Ion Armour.

To get Sub Construction you need the Transmission Resolver and Zrbite.

To get the Transmission Resolver you need Magnetic Navigation.

To get Mag. Ion Armour you need Magnetic Navigation and Ion Armour.

For Ion Armour you need Ion Beam Accelerators, a Live Deep One* and Plastic Aqua Armour.

* You must research the Ion Beam Accelerators BEFORE the Live Deep One. If you don't, you will have to capture another Deep-One and interrogate it again. If it doesn't appear on your research list after you've captured another one, well, you're stuck, terminally. Your best course of action is to either return to a savegame before you researched the Deep-One and do your research in the proper order, or restart the game.

Well, there you go.

Phew, putting these colour tags in is certainly tiring!

- NKF

The research tree may not be the problem actually... I'm suprised that noone has pointed this out but many of the TFTD games off the shelf were very very buggy. They had a messed up research tree that wouldn't allow the research or manufacture of the advanced crafts. You need to try to download the patch from somewhere on the internet to fix this (can't provide any address but hope that helps)

For the weapon I just find... I just get a calnicide Corpse... And then the vibroblade

And to upgrade to thermic lances, get a live Gill-man. Hmm. Why? What does a gill-man have to do with the lances?

I think most of the research topics are straightforward. It's just that most of the more important research topics are bottlenecked by the deep-one. Subs, advanced armour, the gauss coelecanth and the displacers.

- NKF

There actually is a bug in some older versions of a game that prevents research if you do something in the wrong order. For example, researching a Live Deep One before you researched Ion Beam Accelerators used to hang the research tree. Another famous one is that if you research the M.C. Lab before you have an M.C. Reader in stores, you'll never be able to research the reader, or more importantly, the M.C. Disruptor.

There still is the bug where if you research a Tasoth commander before you get the Leviathan, then you won't be able to get it later on.

Or was it you won't be able to get the information that'll send you to T'Leth?

Either one, it'll stop you from getting there.

In summary, Tasoth Commander == bad.

- NKF

Aha! Reffering to my handy list of notes on TFTD, let's see:

The prerequisites for the Leviathan are:

The Hammerhead and Lobsterman Commander *.

* Research order is also important here. Lobsterman commander after the hammerhead. If you did it in the wrong order and the Leviathan didn't appear, then you'll need to capture another lobsterman commander and start prodding it with shiny pointy things, large blunt objects and tiny saws until it helps your scientists design the leviathan.

If, after that you still don't get it... did you by any chance research a Tasoth commander beforehand? If you did, you will never get the Leviathan. I did this once, and having foolishly overwritten my older record of the campaign, I was at a dead end. So I had to start again from scratch.

- NKF

You mean the v2 patch?

Well, as far as I can tell, the patch makes it easier for you to research Magnetic Navigation, and makes Ion Armour compulsory for the Mag. Ion Armour.

There may have been a few fixes to other branches of the tree, but nothing too apparent.

I'm not familiar with the platinum edition, but if you need to capture a lobsterman navigator for magnetic navigation, then it doesn't have the v2 update. Or at least it doesn't have all the fixes introduces by the patch.

- NKF

Hence you should only bring what you need.

The most I leave on the floor is a few chemical flares and a pair of thermal tazers. Rather negligable equipment that can be easily replaced if the game loses them.

Everything else should be carried by the troops, or left behind.

Oh, and you cannot save a live specimen of an alien by carrying it over to the next mission. It mysteriously gets killed in the transition. Probably your soldiers got...uh, bored? :P

Of course, if you really want the equipment, for example you've only just acquired your very first sample of the disrupter pulse launcher and you want it badly, stuff it in your pack. Don't forget to unload it before the end of the next mission or else you won't get a sample of the clip.

Personally, I like to touch down at an enemy colony, grab a sample of the DPL, lay waste to any aliens in my way then retreat. Then come back for some more exercise as necessary.

You really have to hand it to these aliens. Their cloning vats and replicators really do work hard. :)

- NKF

I played the Platinium edition (for Windows) and find below what i see:

- magnetic navigation is easy to get (no more live alien is required)

- All the staff and live alien i get in first level of a mission are stock and i get them in the final score and stock (i test with an live deep one.. I stunned on 1 level of a boat and 1 on the sub level of the same boat of course ;P).

Perhaps the bug appear when you left the mission (by click on the right button).. Usually i prefer to find the last alien...

Umbriel the small veteran

I do an another test...

U can get live alien when u flee... I do an attack on a colony.. I kill everything on the 1rst level, and in the 2nd i stunned a commander and a navigator...

In this mission, i get some trouble to find the last alien... (see my topic)..

So i decide to get out... 2 of my men get the stunned alien and put them on the exit squarres... We leave, and I can find the 2 stunned alien in my research tree... (and get the leviathan, and the lost city)...

I go a save of this game, because i want to find the last alien...

Yes, you can always 'abduct' an alien or steal some of their equipment when you dust off while on the exit pads. Even works if you escape in your Triton (same goes for UFO as well).

So, if you simply cannot find that last alien, cut your losses, manually grab everything grab-able, blow the synonium device and dust off.

Although, a stunned soldier is another matter entirely, and will usually go MIA.

- NKF