Oh how I wish I was a modder...

SoulBrotherKab

Like it says, I have no skills at creating mods for games. No programing or coding skills at all...which sucks. Because I have (what I think is) a good idea for a Hammer and Sickle mod. I got the idea after playing and got the bad ending (WW3). Though I think it was a bit optimistic regarding the Soviets, but let's assume they win...or at least overrun most of Western Europe.

That's where Operation Gladio comes in. In case you don't check out the link, here's a short summary of Op. Gladio. It was a NATO stay-behind force in case of Soviet Union invasion into Western Europe. It trained, funded, and planted weapons cashes all over Europe to help agents disrupt, sabotage, assassinate, and conduct guerrilla warfare against the Soviet occupiers.

It wasn't set up to thwart a Soviet invasion...it assumes the Soviets successfully invaded. It was set up to screw with the Soviets while they tried to rule over the newly acquired territory. Kinda like the French Resistance during WW2 Nazi-occupied France.

I envision the game taking place in Soviet-occupied West Germany and Soviet-puppet state of France (I'm not being anti-French here, but the main reason France left NATO was because they wanted to have to chance to forge a separate peace with the Soviet Union in case of invasion). West Germany would be full of Soviet troops and France would be like its Vichy cousin. France would control the territory, but it would be allied to the Soviets and and would police its provinces against anti-communist guerrillas.

The player character could be either a US Green Beret, British SAS, CIA officer, whatever. It doesn't really matter as long as he's from a major NATO power and part of irregular forces. Recruitable characters would obviously be mostly locals. Either civilians, soldiers from national armies that got beaten, Soviet defectors, and French sympathizers.

Depending on how you'd want the gameplay to be, either more RPG-ish like H&S or more shooty like S2/3, the story would be slightly different. I'm not sure exactly what it could be, but I have two outlines. One is more RPG, the other is more bang bang.

RPG story would involve shadowy organizations and conspiracies causing you to investigate things while disrupting Soviet operations in the area. The more action-y version would be mostly about disrupting Soviet forces in West Germany/France, and setting up militias in small villages similar to the situation in H&S's Gaffenberg.

But this is all wishful thinking on my part. I have no way of actually accomplishing this. But I'm putting it out there in case someone does have the capabilities, know how, and the will do to it.

One can always hope, right? :oh:

Yeah, something like that. But I don't think the Soviets would make it to Britain that fast. Not in 1949 without nuclear weapons on their side. Later on...probably. If the Soviets came through the Fulda Gap in the late 1960s and all through the 1970s...Britain would've been screwed.

But yeah, you mention Freedom Fighters. I remember buying that game one late night at like 2am at a Super Wal-Mart after getting off of work. After paying my $25 I took it home, put it into my original Xbox and was pleasantly surprised. I liked that it was more tactical than most shooters at the time. Also the fact that you change as the seasons change in the game. From happy-go-luck New York plumber to grizzled commando guerrilla leader. My favorite version of Chris was his American flag ninja outfit. And I HATE that there isn't a sequel yet...I mean they left it totally wide open at the end there. But what the company go off and do...hmm? That terrible Kane and Lynch abortion of a game...God, I hate IO Interactive.