Space Voyager

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This one isn't exactly funny, more of a PSA as it's that season again

https://www.gifbin.com/bin/072011/1311591181_deer_accident_dashcam_footage.gif

Finally found the video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzGCFbQgKsc

So this past December I was coming home from work late in the evening, and was going about 34 in a 40mph zone due to it being dark and having snowed the day before. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement on the side of the road. It was a deer running full-bore up the embankment and on to the road. I had my foot on the brake as a stop sign was nearing so the deer just clipped me in the rear wheel well. I stopped and checked, but the deer was gone and besides a few tufts of hair wedged in the plastic housing there was no damage whatsoever. Got lucky on that one.

About two months ago I was going down a stretch of road at the speed limit of 35mph and saw a redwing blackbird chasing another one. They briefly landed and one took off just as I got to it. It got sucked under the vehicle and I heard a thump. Looked in the rearview mirror and it was laying there on the road twitching. Felt bad, but there was nothing I could have done to prevent it as it happened so fast.

Latest story, almost hit a female turkey with 10 little ones last month. They came out of the bushes by the side of the road and because they are perfectly camouflaged when little they blended into the leaf litter. Luckily I was going the limit of 25mph and had my foot on the brake as soon as I saw movement so I missed them by a fair margin. Another close call. wink.png

- Zombie

With each passing day you are driving slower I see wink.png Oh and by the way, normal world uses metric system wink.png

Not slower, more carefully. Though, I don't exceed the speed limit much so I'm driving slower than 90% of everyone else on the road.

I know the metric system and liked using it in chemistry and physics. Have nothing against it personally. But the US would have to do a lot more than it currently does to change my opinion. For instance, change all the signage, change the speedometer + odometer in my vehicle, and most importantly, stop manufacturing goods which require both metric and english tools to take apart. Heck, I went into the local hardware store a couple weeks ago to check whether I could even get metric sized bolts. Nope. So there's a lot of work that needs to be done to convert this country over to metric. :P

I sure hope your insurance covers close encounters with animals...

It does. ;)

- Zombie

Not slower, more carefully. Though, I don't exceed the speed limit much so I'm driving slower than 90% of everyone else on the road.

I know the metric system and liked using it in chemistry and physics. Have nothing against it personally. But the US would have to do a lot more than it currently does to change my opinion. :P

- Zombie

It all has to begin somewhere ;)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/senior_year/science.png

P.S. I think I've heard that UK is slowly starting to switch to metric.