The toughest alien

tasothmiester

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm...lobstermen are incredibly tough, but not the most dangerous. Anything that can turn my own men against me worries me more, although you're right about the Tasoth. It doesn't do that very well. Those tentaculates, now those are scary!

I enjoy playing with tentaculats. Especially in the artifact missions. If you get two men in a long corridor, one at each end the brain goes towards the closest. If you then hide the one it went after last turn it has to turn around to go after the other one. Now hide him, out comes number one again. It's great fun!

:P Not while I'm here you don't!

Anyway they aren't as bad as Chryssalids. They have 110 time units. I once started a terror mission with one of them in front of my avenger. They move so far that I managed to control him, walk him around and find every alien on the map in the first turn. I then used my plasma tank to go and hunt them down... Game over in two turns! :)

it has to be the tentaculats they always like to hide in lil gaps and corners which you cant get to unless you get real close which means certion death.

there much eviler then the Chryssalids as they can swim so you cant over power them with your flysuit (forgot TOTD armor).

i havnt tried this in TOTD but in UFOD if you use a tank near a Chryssalid. the Chryssalid attacks it for nearly no damage (if at front armor). which means you can take out a whole group of Chryssalids with out being zombivied.

Yes, tentaculats will attempt to attack tanks, which is a good way to eat up their TU's. As for their hiding places, the good news is that they almost always hide in the same places....they aren't very bright despite looking like brains....so that once you've been in a couple of places where you've fought tentaculats, you know where to look for them.

How about toughest monster by catagory? They're quite diverse y'know.

I say the Tentaculat is, yes, extremely annoying, but you don't see them that often, and you only get them underwater. High reaction squads should be able to easily deal with them.

Tasoth rule the psi kingdom. Although Gill men make a close second along with the aquatoids.

For the truly, to put it in the vernacular, bad-ass alien, it would have to be a tie between the lobsterman and the bio-drone. The lobsterman, because it just won't die, and it has a built in HTH attack to boot. The biodrone...come on, explodes when killed with offensive projectiles, and it even has 100% snapshot accuracy. Luckily, for both of these aliens, their weakness happens to be vibroblades.

One thing against the Biodrone is that they tend to make their presence known as they burn the ground as they move. This tends to appear on the visited areas of your overhead map.

Then there's the rare Triscene, but it doesn't blow up, and since it's a large unit, can get killed quite easily with explosives. It does have 100% snapshots though. The Biodrone's better, still, the Triscene would win the 'most intimidating large alien' category. The Xarquid and Hallucinoid just don't cut it.

Heh, the best alien awards....

- NKF

Tasoth also take two shots to kill sometimes Tentaculats are very annoying but gennerally I blow them sky high with explosives Lobstermen are fairly easy because they don't have much armour just alot of health But the hardest to kill are all of them together that is Tasoth, calcinites, biodrones, Triscene and Aquatoids really hard when you have all of them on a shipping route terror site :devil:

Actually, Lobstermen have natural armour. The armour you see via probes or via mind control is considered after their natural armour deals with the damage.

I think their natural armour halves the damage for most weapons and either does normal or double the damage done by stunners, then it takes its armour value and subtracts it from the damage total (vibroblades just bypass the natural armour, and probably the external armour as well).

Say, for example, you deal 16 pts of damage from a dart pistol. Halve that, you get 8 pts. 8 minus, oh, the armour rating of any of the sides and you'll probably come into the negatives.

For a sonic pistol(80pts), I guess it could do about 20 - 30 points of damage. Not too shabby.

Of course, this is all just a guess. It's the best explanation that I can come up with on short notice. I just feel that their armour stats are a little too low for the amount of ammunition you have to spend on them.

- NKF

when ever i meet a Triscene its stuck in a small closet on ferry terrorsites. a real pain to find as you have to open the closet doors to see whats inside and theres around 30 rooms or so to check. but there pretty easy when there trapped by placeing high explosives around that certion room.

I haven't got the facilities to collect any statistics at this particular moment in time, so I'll just go on with what I can remember from past experiences. Anyway, the results would vary depending on what weapon you're using vs. what alien you're fighting.

If we're talking about who has the toughest armour vs HE weapons in general, lobstermen win hands down.

See, they take half damage from all HE weapons, so they need two, maybe three times the DPL torpedoes than, say, a tasoth or any other alien for that matter.

For sonic cannons, the Lobsterman would still take on average a few more hits than most other aliens, whereas they would be the first to drop from a stun attack.

Of course, no alien can survive a magna-blast grenade if it (the alien) is lying unconscious on the ground. Rather unsporting, but hey, so are they. :P

I'm going to have to gauge the extents of the various terror units some day. I spend more time in UFO than TFTD, so my recollections are a little fuzzy.

- NKF

I suppose the Tasoth are the healthiest and have the most powerful psi abilities. Their psionics make them harder to deal with, I agree, especially if you have a team of cabbage-for-brains.

Physically, Tasoth probably wouldn't last a sonic pulser. As for TU's, they cannot rival tentaculats or the calcinites. Besides, firing a gun still uses a precentage of total TU's, so while they may get to move a few more tiles, the number of shots that they can squeeze off will remain the same as it is for everyone else.

Lobstermen, while they might not have the highest constituition, are still harder to kill with guns and explosives because of their armour. Although, with MC, they're like putty in your hands.

Lobstermen are like knights in a full suit of armour. Knights had superior protection, but their mobility was severely impeded, which was why they usually rode on horses. Once they fell off they were as good as dead. Lobstermen, while they don't ride on anything, still move slowly.

Heh, imagine having another shellfish alien with heavily augmented molecular control implants... augh.

- NKF

Anyone ever use XComutil to 'swap' your units in the second-to-last T'Leth mission (or an ocean liner mission), grabbing your equipment off the X-Com units then knocking them out? The next mission will be a pure alien-vs-alien mission. Quite an amusing distraction. Can get a bit confusing when there are lots of enemy aliens near your own, as everyone will look the same. You could probably do this with the Cydonia mission in UFO too.

Look tasothmeister, obviously you love tasoths for some reason probably best not mentioned but they are overall a pretty crappy alien. They are quick which is good. They are healthy too that's true, but they have so little protection that they can quite easily be killed with a few harpoon bolts so that's not good anyway! They never really use their psionics (in my experience) unless their buddies are all dead. And all over they just aren't as good as Lobstermen.

What you have to remember if you're going to post a question like this is that you have to let other people have their say. You can't just keep trying to convince everyone who has a different opinion to you that they're wrong. Plus the fact that on this occasion everyone else is right. Try shooting a tasoth and then a lobster man. Who dies first?