JA2 FAQ

Zombie

Biff reminds me of Art Linkletter for some reason. Don't know why. :)

Just downloaded this game free off Game Tap today! Can't get much cheaper than that. ;)

Pablo at the airport has $250 in his pocket, so I killed him for it. The airport mechanic had $40, so he got knifed as well. I assume these pseudo-friendly fire engagements will sour my reputation, no? :)

- Zombie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biff reminds me of Art Linkletter for some reason. Don't know why.

Biff Apscott, yesterday:

https://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/FullAuto_2006/artl.jpg

Pablo at the airport has $250 in his pocket, so I killed him for it. The airport mechanic had $40, so he got knifed as well. I assume these pseudo-friendly fire engagements will sour my reputation, no? ;)

I'd say killing two men for $290 is a little over the top, but you'd probably stab me. :)

"According to my calculations, human life is worth exactly $145. Set up Stabbing Committees in every town and find everyone worth $145 or more...and stab them."

Disagree. Both events should be treated independently. The airport mechanic only had $40 - his life was apparently worth taking. Thus, I would say that we've demonstrated that human life is worth $40 at most - so far, no lower limit has been established. For example, we have no proof that that Zombie wouldn't have stabbed those poor people for a dollar.

I guess it would've depended on how annoying the person is too. That airport mechanic was just asking for it IMHO. ;)

Pablo on the other hand, I shouldn't have killed. Apparently he'll accept deliveries and hold them for my squad. Too bad I read the strategy guide after I started playing... :)

- Zombie

Depends, as you don't need to use Pablo. He's a slippery customer, and will gladly filch from your deliveries, but if you bribe him the day before he'll keep his hands off. However, getting deliveries is entirely optional.

You should set the strategy guide aside and have a good old explore, Zombie. I am really quite jealous of you, starting out on JA2.

I just started playing JA2 for the first time about a week ago. I played around for a few missions on 'Experienced', and now I began my first game on 'Expert'. I think I have the basics down as far as gameplay goes, but there's still a few little things I'm unsure about...

1.) Does the 'Leadership' skill and/or the 'Teaching' trait speed up training when doing trainer / student training?

2.) How does choosing Sci-Fi mode over Realistic affect gameplay? If this can be answered without giving away too much in regards to spoilers, I'd appreciate it ;)

3.) Is it a game bug to be able to train militia with a second trainer without having to pay an additional $750? Not that I'm complaing about the way it is, it just struck me as odd :)

4.) Can I stash my surplus gear in a crate or locker indefinitely without risk of losing it, or will I ever come across a place that I can safely store my stuff?

1.) Does the 'Leadership' skill and/or the 'Teaching' trait speed up training when doing trainer / student training?

Higher the Leadership, the better they are at training. Same with the Teaching skill. The student (or militia) will learn faster.

2.) How does choosing Sci-Fi mode over Realistic affect gameplay? If this can be answered without giving away too much in regards to spoilers, I'd appreciate it.

Sci-Fi really only adds one thing, and we can't tell you without giving it away. I don't want to say anything about this as it's a nice little addition to the game. Best play on sci-fi and discover for yourself. ;)

3.) Is it a game bug to be able to train militia with a second trainer without having to pay an additional $750? Not that I'm complaing about the way it is, it just struck me as odd

Intentional AFAIK. You can have two trainers per sector, which seems fair enough to me as you're instructing a group of people.

4.) Can I stash my surplus gear in a crate or locker indefinitely without risk of losing it, or will I ever come across a place that I can safely store my stuff?

Most kit you can just drop somewhere, but the good stuff has a habit of going missing (e.g. militia love nicking weapons and kit off the ground during/after battles). I usually drop the few select items I want to keep up on a roof somewhere, because militia don't climb. The vast majority of items you can just drop somewhere and they'll be fine. Don't think I've ever had anything go missing when I've dropped it in San Mona, either.

Congrats on getting the game! :)

How do you get on top of a roof? I tried to do this the other day and my guy stayed on the ground. Can I only climb on top of a roof if I haven't seen inside the building yet? :)

You should set the strategy guide aside and have a good old explore, Zombie. I am really quite jealous of you, starting out on JA2.

I agree with FA, just set the strategy guide aside and go forth to slay the people... I mean, the enemy. :)

Well, considering that I've glanced through the strategy guide already, it's too late. Besides, whereas I killed Dimitri before (because he was a prick and wouldn't move :)), by leaving him alive you get to meet Miguel and recruit Ira (not that she's all that good anyway, but free is free). :)

Exploring I can do without: the maps are big, my troops move way too slow to cover any large areas and most buildings are just ruins, containing nothing of interest (at least, this is my impression). The sectors between cities are notorious for this, though I did find some stuff stashed away in a chest and in a nightstand next to a bed.

I'm having some trouble when I get to a city. My troops have very low action points (or time units, or whatever it's called here). This makes for impossible battles. Do I need to rest my troops up at the outskirts of town so that they are fresh? My only worry about rest is that my troops are not earning their pay during that time... not only that, but since you can only hold onto a mercenary for a short period of time (I've got mine on a 1-week plan to cut costs) there is no way to recoup his costs. No selling of excess weapons, no anonymous donations and very little spare cash on maps (at least, on the ones I've visited so far). I'm assuming I can obtain more cash when I visit more cities/areas, but how long is this going to take? Time is of the essence as cash determines a lot in this game! :)

By the way, does anyone here like Fox? Well, she's a total fox for one thing :), but besides that, she's ambidextrous and can shoot with two pistols at the same time. That's 2x the lead flying through the air. Her marksmanship is pretty good, she can moonlight as a medic, is very fast and cheap to hire. ;)

- Zombie

Congrats on getting the game! ;)

Thanks! I can't believe it's takin' me so long to get around to playing this little gem :)

How do you get on top of a roof? I tried to do this the other day and my guy stayed on the ground. Can I only climb on top of a roof if I haven't seen inside the building yet? :)

- Zombie

When you're standing next to a wall, hover the cursor over the character and click the up arrow a time or two to get 'em up there. From my experiences though, the interface is a bit clumsier when tryin' to get back down...

Or you can place them where you want them to climb up/down, right-click their portrait, then left-click the ladder icon.

My troops have very low action points (or time units, or whatever it's called here). This makes for impossible battles. Do I need to rest my troops up at the outskirts of town so that they are fresh?

Normal APs are about mid-teens up to low twenties. Rest affects energy (the blue bar) but not APs AFAIK.

I'm assuming I can obtain more cash when I visit more cities/areas, but how long is this going to take?

You can capture Drassen, Alma, Chitzena or Cambria in less than a week. Mines are the main source of funds in the game, and the bigger the town the more money the mine provides.

By the way, does anyone here like Fox? Well, she's a total fox for one thing blush.gif, but besides that, she's ambidextrous and can shoot with two pistols at the same time. That's 2x the lead flying through the air. Her marksmanship is pretty good, she can moonlight as a medic, is very fast and cheap to hire.

Yep, she's a good choice for your medic at the start. Her marksmanship isn't brilliant, but the ambidextrous skill helps somewhat with that. Although depending on what weapon you're using, ammo supply for someone who uses twice as much can become a problem.

Hi Zombie, you might arguably save more money in the long run by hiring into two week schedules - you get more merc per dollar that way.

I actually thought the same, that mercs that are tired have less AP. When that blue bar is down, for extended periods, does AP not drop? I'll have to check. I usually do wait a few hours outside the city for my mercs to recharge before launching an attack, particularly if its going to sweep a couple of sectors at once.

I'm not to wild about medics with ambidextrous (which are probably the only mercs with this skll). I prefer to have medics with assault rifles to keep them out of close combat.

I know being wounded drops their APs, don't know about tiredness. Presumably my squad are simply too manly to let exhaustion bother them.

I'm not to wild about medics with ambidextrous (which are probably the only mercs with this skll).

Don't let Meltdown hear you say that.

Yeah, exhaustion can lower your AP pool. I learned it the hard way... Health also doubles as 'stamina', high health mercs tire a bit slower than the others. Which is why exhaustion is probably less noticeable with the M-Team :)

Some other trends I noticed when I was playin' around with the create-a-merc and mercs in general: the 3 main attributes that contribute to base APs are Health, Agility, and Dexterity. High health is what allows mercs like Grizzly and Bull to be 'usuable' (no offense FullAuto ;) ). I haven't played around with the stats enough to notice the actual formula though...

By the way, does anyone here like Fox? Well, she's a total fox for one thing :), but besides that, she's ambidextrous and can shoot with two pistols at the same time. That's 2x the lead flying through the air. Her marksmanship is pretty good, she can moonlight as a medic, is very fast and cheap to hire. :)

- Zombie

I used her the first couple of times I played, but then I tried Buns... And realized Fox isn't so hot :) Barry really is the must have for me though, his versatily at that price I just can't pass on.