JA2 FAQ

Zombie

Look at Gumpy's wisdom. 94! Not too shabby. Takes a lot of practice with a detonator and TNT for your custom merc to reach that.

Edit: Actually, I'll start a separate thread on custom merc creation

- NKF

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another weight issue I've noted is when you pick up a stack of items, multiple ones of the same type, say for example four 5.56mm mags, and put them in your inventory, sometimes they're 4-5 times heavier than normal.

This can be easily rectified by picking one of the items up off the stack and then putting it back down, and loading them individually doesn't cause this to happen.

Is there supposed to be a 'Meanwhile...' cutscene after taking over Tixa and recruiting Dynamo and Shank?

Nope!

And is there anything special about the cavern underneath? I made a quick pass through it, but didn't notice anything worthwhile...

*shifty eyes*

Noooooo.

I had thought about sending the flowers on my very first game, I figured that it would be the sole purpose of that site even being in the game. I suppose I should I actually get around to doing it the next time I play, especially since I have cash to burn now :oh:

Not sure if this has been directly mentioned before, but HTH combat only increases Strength & Dexterity. If your skill in one of these areas is 90 or more you will not get any improvement points for that skill. For example, Bull has a strength of 98 and cannot improve that stat through HTH, but his dexterity will increase quite fast. On the opposite end of the spectrum is Fox who has a dexterity of 100. She never sees increases in that stat but her strength goes up by leaps and bounds through HTH. My guess is that a merc who is mediocre in both of these stats (Hitman or Dr Cliff are good prospects) will go up more evenly instead of having lopsided improvements. :oh:

- Zombie

You do continue improving - it just goes slower. Bull doesn't have very high wisdom so his gains won't be as rapid, especially since he's nearly maxed.

Cow punching - a fun sport, and good for medical training too. ;) Not sure how good it is, but kicking open doors and chests seems to improve strength too. Not terribly quickly, but it does. The other method is to weigh yourself down (pelts!) and start marching. This is how it should have worked in X-Com! :)

- NKF

I'm running into trouble with the Crepitus attacking the Drassen mine, and none of them appearing in battle. Thought I'd do a solo run with the custom merc and some of the elixir I bought from Gabby, but had to back out when I realized my small supply of 9mm bullets were just not going to be enough to make it down to lowest level. Can't seem to get them to reappear again, but they're still randomly massacring the Drassen militia.

But all that has nothing to do with my question. ;)

My main question is: Does Gabby's elixir expire?

I ran into the chatty man early in the game, shelled out some cash for some elixir and went about my merry way. 45 days into the game (I'm slow...) I capture my third town and Deirdrianna has decided to stop feeding the crepitus, hence they are now causing trouble. My first run into the mine was a near disaster as I applied Gabby's elixir and it wouldn't work - amazing what three or four of the bugs can do to you if you're not prepared. A quick reload later and I note that the elixir was at about 1%. Pretty sure it had more than that when I bought it.

- NKF

• 1 year later...
My main question is: Does Gabby's elixir expire?

I ran into the chatty man early in the game, shelled out some cash for some elixir and went about my merry way. 45 days into the game (I'm slow...) I capture my third town and Deirdrianna has decided to stop feeding the crepitus, hence they are now causing trouble. My first run into the mine was a near disaster as I applied Gabby's elixir and it wouldn't work - amazing what three or four of the bugs can do to you if you're not prepared. A quick reload later and I note that the elixir was at about 1%. Pretty sure it had more than that when I bought it.

I think the elixir shouldn't expire, though this may have been a bug. Not sure. :D

A quick question: 3 of my mercs had "I Love Deirdrianna" t-shirts in their inventory. While I was fooling around in a sector, those 3 mercs were captured by Deirdrianna and her goons and sent to another sector for interrogation. Well, Barry, Bull and my hero somehow pulled a gun off a baddie and they proceeded to mop up the map after recovering all their gear. I thought there was a way to kill Deirdrianna directly, but after searching the map she wasn't anywhere to be seen. Can't remember what I was supposed to do in this instance. Was I supposed to follow her somewhere, or is there something specific I needed to say in the interrogation dialog? Any help from the seasoned vets of the game would be appreciated. :P

- Zombie

I think she only appears for the cut scene, then just vanishes once it is over. I suppose it would've made beating the game too easy if you could catch her out in the open without having to storm her palace in Meduna (Which I recall reading somewhere can be stormed with Gus Tarballs and your custom Merc from the very start of the game).

- NKF

Actually it is pretty easy and it can net you with gazilion of LAWs (not sure if any other powerfull weapons) and/or mortar shells. Unless the JA 2.13 (or whatever it is called) is much harder - never tried to be captured in wildfire though.

About elixir I wouldn't say that it expires Gabby says the females are more aggresive and by description males are on top levels. So with elixir you can have easy mode on top levels (mine levels), but once inside the cave you must be carefull.

It'll wear off in time like camouflage, but I was referring to what happens to it when you cart it around on your mercs for a while. Looks like it's a good idea to visit Gabby every so often for a top up, or at least visit him on the way when heading out to sort out the infestation.

- NKF