Simply the best!

Thorondor

Indeed, I don't think it topped the last list. Managed to win the one before that, though.

Still - I kinda find it hard to take them seriously, seeing as how there's no mention of anything from Bullfrog or Origin. Seems more like a list of "games people still remember". I mean, Diablo better then Diablo II? Seriously? After playing the second game, you'd never go back to the first...

Indeed, I don't think it topped the last list. Managed to win the one before that, though.

Still - I kinda find it hard to take them seriously, seeing as how there's no mention of anything from Bullfrog or Origin. Seems more like a list of "games people still remember". I mean, Diablo better then Diablo II? Seriously? After playing the second game, you'd never go back to the first...

So, so true. Whereas I agree that X-COM should ALWAYS top that chart, a game like Dungeon Keeper not even being on it (and Unreal Tourney is? Wtf?) is just sick in my book. Most of the games on that list are either 'clones' (doom, Deus-Ex, URT, etc) or have been re-done into the ground. Most original games, like DK, are nowhere in sight. Bummer.

Ahhhh, Dungeon Keeper, thinking of it brings so many fond memories of the golden age of gaming ;) how I miss those times...

btw, I do agree on Deus Ex being on that list, I haven't played a RPG/FPS like that ever again, to me it's unmatched, even by very popular games like Crysis (played it, loved it, still would take DX over it anytime)

"Your dungeon floor is lumpy. Have your minions jump up and down." - that's from DK2, but how can you not love a game with a good dose of humour?

Deus Ex was built on the Unreal engine, but added so much that it was practically a different game. Closer to System Shock than Unreal. Compare that to Enforcer, which took the same approach but in the opposite direction. ;)

I suppose clones do deserve a mention if they're innovative or proved to be better than or much more successful than their predecessors.

The original Doom series were highly innovative for their time, being a huge step up from Wolfenstein. Probably wouldn't do so well by today's standards. I think it's the nostalgia that assists it as well.

- NKF

So, so true. Whereas I agree that X-COM should ALWAYS top that chart, a game like Dungeon Keeper not even being on it (and Unreal Tourney is? Wtf?) is just sick in my book. Most of the games on that list are either 'clones' (doom, Deus-Ex, URT, etc) or have been re-done into the ground. Most original games, like DK, are nowhere in sight. Bummer.

TBH, I agree with every game that's on that list. I guess a lot of us would be biased as obviously we have a soft spot for strategy, but the non-strategy games are classic games on the PC and did a lot to majorly advance their genre.

DK2 was a classic due to its humour, but as a game in itself, I wouldn't peg it as an "all-time great"

That's the problem with lists like this: what we perceive as a great game will vary from person to person for any number of reasons. Also, most of the "greats" chosen are opinions of those that participated in the survey or that of the judges.

One thing I do like is that it does bring to light a few games that you've never played before and this might get you interested in trying them.

- NKF