64bit OS

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#61 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:40 PM

I could be very wrong on things here, but I could also be right on them, as well. I won't rehash old stuff, but just say this, that Vista, for an operating system, is getting to the point of XP, with it's service packs, etc. And that with some work, 7 is actually even better than Vista, and could be the stepping stone for Micro$oft getting better and better with what they are doing. 7 is the first project that was produced after Bill Gates retired from Micro$oft.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#62 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

I still feel 7 is far superior to XP or, at the very least, just as good. I have had no issues whatsoever where I said "God, this did not happen in XP".
There are some stuff that are mildly annoying, like the lack of a "move up one level in the filesystem tree" button in Windows Explorer (that's the thing I actually do miss), but nothing too serious.
Posted Image

#63 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Sorry for going on topic but... XP, Vista or Win7, 64 bit version is definitely better than 32 bit, except for (very) old programs, right?

#64 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

Actually there is a 'button' that says - move to any level from current directory path and it adds simple change directory from any level.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#65 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, you can just click on the folder you want to backtrack to in the address bar, it'll jump right there. It won't always show the full address, and things get a bit messy when you try to combine that with the search function, but most of the time it'll work quite well.

64-bit compatibility is not only an issue of program age. Work out what programs you need working - old or not - check that they'll function, and if so, you'll probably be quite happy with 64-bit.

Worst comes to worst, you can always just install both. It's not like we're short on HDD space these days.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#66 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

From XP 64-bit edition to the 64-bit editions of Vista and 7, there is a bit more support of both the 64-bit processor, and the multi-core processors. And I'm starting to like both Vista and 7 a little more, as time goes by. However, I am not going to switch over my main desktop to anything beyond XP.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#67 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 26th March 2011, 10:50am, said:

Yeah, you can just click on the folder you want to backtrack to in the address bar, it'll jump right there. It won't always show the full address, and things get a bit messy when you try to combine that with the search function, but most of the time it'll work quite well.
I run into the "not showing full path" more often than the other, I find it annoying :)
Posted Image

#68 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 26th March 2011, 8:49am, said:

Sorry for going on topic but... XP, Vista or Win7, 64 bit version is definitely better than 32 bit, except for (very) old programs, right?

Well with 32 bit if you have 4GB of RAM or more Windows won't use anything over 3.5 if I recall correctly.

64bit definitely removed some limitations going forwards, and I can still play the Steam versions of X-COM fine so I'm happy :)
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#69 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,100 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

Win 10...

::

p.s.: If you ask me, with the shortened cycle of Window$ releases of late I spy, with my little eye, a subscription-based OS before long.

#70 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

I think they've also mentioned free update for Windows 8 / 8.1 users and a discount for Windows 7 users.

#71 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostThorondor, on 01 October 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Win 10...
p.s.: If you ask me, with the shortened cycle of Window$ releases of late I spy, with my little eye, a subscription-based OS before long.

DEAR LORD, THE HAIR on that dude...

Could be, that subscription thought. Though it would probably cover updates, not usage. I'm not sure even M$ would risk such a move, especially since this would make the usage of last pre-subscription Win last longer than XP. IMO.

#72 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Not sure if they would switch over to a full subscription based model. Microsoft Office suite has 2 options: full payment for the two basic packages and subs for the top two tiers. I suspect the subs are there for businesses and the pay packages are for private individuals, but I'm not a expert on Microsoft marketing. ;)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#73 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,100 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:35 PM

It's simply a matter of time, I suspect, Zombie, and time is not in our favour. Adobe has already unashamedly taken the software as a service route and I don't see them turning back.

Just take a look at their products page. What's the standard being pushed - pay per month.

All that Microsoft has to do is discontinue support to prior versions and sooner or later we'll want to run something or have security features a prior product simply does not have.

We've been farther away from a time when software isn't even locally installed. We'll actually own virtually nothing.

#74 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

I guess. It's the nature of cloud computing these days. But there will still be people out there who do not trust anything cloud related. I mean, just look at all those female clebs who had their iPhone selfie pics hacked. Posted Image

My feeling is that software might be heading to a sub based model quickly, but operating systems will probably remain the same for a longer time. If it does switch over, I'll bet there will be droves of people downloading the free OS like Ubuntu or Linux. :)

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#75 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

Whole softwares won't be stored on clouds, there are too many factors that may render access to your app impossible. Host server errors, host network overload, hacker attacks, your ISP network issues.

Windows is something different than Word or Adobe software's. They might introduce subscription but standard license will still be there. Most companies stay with 1 system for years, and subscription payment is not worth in long term.

And about celebs - well first of all - iPhone, why they even did it in the first place? Apple is known to be least secure. They only have good policy when it comes to adding apps to their store.

#76 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,100 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

And if eventually handing it all to 'Big Brother' was not enough of a latent concern for the future, it seems Microsoft is perfectly content to start getting your data right now, with Windows 10's preview version, if you aren't paying attention...

#77 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Isn't this normal to get info for beta stuff, to improve final product?

#78 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,557 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

No, not voice input, camera and such. Data on hardware, sure.

#79 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

You are wrong here - capturing voices is for improving quality of Cortana for example - proper voice recognition. I found a perfect explanation for all those data storages but it's in mine language and I don't want to search it again and translate.

#80 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,100 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

Have you a machine running Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1? Microsoft will offer you a free upgrade to Windows 10, Polygon reports. But, can you say subscription-based OS real fast?

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users