#21 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

View PostPete, on 10th November 2009, 2:37am, said:

I think MS have been better with drivers this time around - there was no Windows 7 driver for my fancy 300+ colour printer (for business stuff before you ask) and I was anout to get peed off when I read on HP's website something along the lines of "we've not yet released a driver/program suite compatible with Windows 7 yet for this printer, so just use the drivers MS have made on the Windows 7 disc".

Worked like a charm - I literally justentered the IP address in the wizard (it's a network printer) and it found it. Since it's not exactly a mainstream printer and it's a few years old now I was very impressed.

I'm a little more peeved with HP, though. They never released any Vista drivers for my combo-printer, which was only about a year old at the time. Instructions say to use the default Vista drivers, fine. Those work great.

Unfortunately, none of the supporting software work well on Vista. If I want to use the built-in scanner, I have to either pray it will work this time or plug it into the ancient XP laptop.

Not satisfactory at all.
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#22 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

Has anyone checked the 32bit 3GB workaround?

I'm not going to 64bit system unless there is a tangible advantage.

#23 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Are you talking about the /3GB switch used in the boot.ini file? If so, what have you understood this will benefit you?
There's always some dirt to dig out

#24 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

View PostKret, on 10th November 2009, 7:49pm, said:

Are you talking about the /3GB switch used in the boot.ini file? If so, what have you understood this will benefit you?
Absolutely nothing. The application still needs the 2GB flag set in it's header, and then it still has to be coded to work around the 32-bit addressing limit.
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#25 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:42 AM

A workaround? To get from 3GB limit to 4GB limit?
Posted Image

#26 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

That's why I'm asking if it's that switch? It's not a workaround that will allow windows to access more physical memory, it just divides the virtual memory between user and kernel nothing more. Unless using it for an application that can use that ammount of memory, it is a cause of more trouble more than a solution to anything.

#27 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

Ah crap. Thanks, Kret. I really wanted someone more knowledgeable to look at it as I didn't understand it... I thought it was supposed to let you use more than 3GB RAM with 32bit system.

#28 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 11th November 2009, 3:09pm, said:

Ah crap. Thanks, Kret. I really wanted someone more knowledgeable to look at it as I didn't understand it... I thought it was supposed to let you use more than 3GB RAM with 32bit system.
A 32-bit processor is capable of addressing 2^32 bytes = 4^30 bytes = 4GB of RAM, the 3GB instead of 4GB limit is due to how the OS handles it ;)
A 64-bit processor is capable of 2^64 = 16^60 bytes = 16 Exbibytes of RAM, virtually unlimited bar from Motherboard capabilities :)
Posted Image

#29 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

The most RAM I've seen purchaseable with a PC all pre-built is 192GB. That was just on the HP website (under Workstations) so there are likely systems with more, but I didn't browse long as I don't have 5,500, buch as I'd love two XEON processors, all that RAM and the option of something silly like 6 video cards powering a wall of 12 monitors ;)
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#30 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

The 4GB limit is not only limited by the OS, but the motherboard must allow accessing addresses above that limit. Todays motherboards already do this, but some older ones have no possibility in doing so by design. Note that the 4Gb limit is not a memory size limit but an addressing limit and since virtually everything in the machine requires some addressing it reduces the ammount of addressing available to access system memory.

#31 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

Been reading this thread again... SotS][ is coming and I will definitely not be able to buy a new comp. I wouldn't have a place for it yet anyway.

My laptop does offer a RAM upgrade form 4 to 8 GB and with 32bit system that would be a waste of money, so I'm considering a Win7Pro 64 bit system again...

If you count out older games, is there any other problem? Will my 32bit Office work on a 64 bit system?

#32 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

I've got a 32office running on a 64win7 without any issues.

Also, re older games: I realize you may not be meaning THIS old, but I'm running Master of Orion II(Dos-version) from Dosbox in my 64-bit win7 home premium. :laugh:

#33 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

I personally would dual boot with XP Pro, and Windows 7 ultimate, both 64-bit. And they are both NTFS based. If you really want a better 64-bit experience, try some of the Linux distributions that are out there. Stay away from Ubuntu, as it's getting to commercialized, IMO.

The reason I say Ultimate with Windows 7, is that you can do a lot of things in there that's not readily available for home premium. Compatibility mode is one feature, and there are more.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#34 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,519 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Extra RAM is always a boon, so go for it, SV.

::

I've got good ol' Office 2007 and it runs just fine on 7 Ultimate 64 bit. :laugh:

#35 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

I've got Compatibility mode on my Premium, what are you drinking sarge? D:

#36 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

View PostSgt. Strike, on 6th March 2011, 4:27pm, said:

I personally would dual boot with XP Pro, and Windows 7 ultimate, both 64-bit. And they are both NTFS based. If you really want a better 64-bit experience, try some of the Linux distributions that are out there. Stay away from Ubuntu, as it's getting to commercialized, IMO.
Strongly disagree, if anyone is considering trying out Linux, Ubuntu is by far the best choice, it's so far the only distro doing the best to be accessible to all users.

32 bit Office should work ok with 64 bit 7, it does for me at least (though, unfortunately, Half Life 2 and Mass Effect 1 stopped running...)
Posted Image

#37 Sgt. Strike

Sgt. Strike

Seeker of truth, and also to kick some alien butt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Azrael, I will agree with about Ubuntu being a decent distro, but it is not the best. Because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I prefer either Red Hat, Backtrax, or a couple others.

And Sunflash, how did you get compatibility mode? I've been trying for a while to figure it out myself. And did you find out how to access, also, gpedit.msc? That is one of the best programs for Windows.
When all else fails, CHEAT!!!

#38 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Home Premium doesn't have XP mode (as in, the ability to run Windows XP within your 7 install), but it does have some other compatibility features.

Edit: Though now I check that page, it seems it WILL allow such an install - interesting! I'm gonna have to give that a try tonight, getting access to XP functionality on my laptop would make my week!

Of course, if it lacks access to the main filesystem I'll be much less impressed, but hey, still worth something...

I believe it's possible to install GPEdit into Home Premium using unofficial non-Microsoft tweaks, but you'll still lack access to many of the features it'd allow you to mess with in the more expensive releases. Eg, the option to disable thumbnail generation specifically when accessing network shares, a feature that's rather broken in 7...

Bah, don't get me started...  :laugh:
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#39 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

I was not aware of this 'XP mode'. By 'compatibility mode' I meant the whole 'right-click->compatibility->run as etc' thing. Which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Then again, I've not found one of my XP games that doesn't work on 7...yet. :laugh:

#40 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

View PostSgt. Strike, on 7th March 2011, 8:27am, said:

Azrael, I will agree with about Ubuntu being a decent distro, but it is not the best. Because it's popular doesn't make it the best. I prefer either Red Hat, Backtrax, or a couple others.
A distro that is not user friendly, IMO, can not be the best. User friendliness is a vital OS external quality; unless we're talking about a mainframe OS, which we are not in this case.

Just my opinion anyway, I didn't want anyone not trying Ubuntu if they wanted to try Linux, I feel it's simply the only distro for a beginner, and also for advanced users.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users