Anyone tried this and seen what happens?

Stun Grenade

Well I got bored and really didn't want to do this UFO investigation mission involiving Mutons. I just ended my turn straight away without moving my toops a inch. I started noticing that the Mutons started coming towards me but didnt fire.

Later, one started firing but it soon stoped. BTW, I was still in the craft at the time. I shot the Muton who kept firing and then looked around. There were two large groups of Mutons, packed together like a herd.

Everytime I ended my turn, the Muttons would move, and move into their little family groups again. It was the perfect plan. Sit, watch and then fire on little Muttons in their large group. By large I mean like 3-5 Muttons....

Thats how I won the mission and I didn't have the hassel of going into one of their UFO's.........

~SG

I recall a mission against sectoids going very badly. I had one guy left. I stuck him in the back of the skyranger knealing; planning to shoot anything that came up the ramp. After a while I stood up. I could see all the bugs in a nice little arc. I couldn't shoot them because the floor interfered with line-of-site. The geometery was no good for grenades. Oh for want of a blaster launcher the mission was lost.

The rules governing alien movemnet is in UFO tends to alow aliens to often clump up on poorly designed route maps. I think this makes the game easyer as you can do a turkey shoot. Just lignup your men and wait. This of course only works on low dificulty as the alien's shoot first on superhuman.

TFTD is a completly diferent story. It can turn into a literal bug hunt.

-Blade FireLight

Just today, I was playing a mission with Floaters. My craft was an Avenger, while the alien's was a Supply Ship. I knelt my soldiers with the highest reactions inside the mouth of the Avenger, and waited. During the aliens round, a Floater was observed moving towards my craft, off to the right side. I peeked out with the closest soldier and saw nothing. A few rounds pass and I decide to check the situation out with the other soldier in the mouth of the Avenger. To my surprise, the Floater was situated on the ground next to the left landing gear.

Now I finished my round without doing anything. That Floater stayed put. Every other round or so, an alien would peek its head out of the Supply Ship, and was met with a flurry of reaction fire from my soldiers. That Floater stayed put. I must have killed 10 Floaters via reaction fire, but that Floater on the ground didn't move or shoot. Eventually I had to get my soldiers off the Avenger to finish off the leader, who by this time was in panic. I had to kill that Floater "observer" near my craft so I could exit. (He had full TU's and was hovering around 56 for Morale, my soldiers determined with the Mind Probe).

I did finish the mission by storming the bridge and killing the Leader. The funny thing was that I killed all the aliens but one, outside the craft, mostly by reaction fire! :P

That actually makes sense since Floaters have an aggression rating of 0, which as far as I know, means that they are more likely to take cover than they are to fight.

The OSG explains aggression as:

"A rating of the alien's level of aggressiveness, ranked from 0 to 2, with 2 the most aggressive. The more aggressive the alien, the more likely that it will stand and attack an X-COM soldier rather than attempt to take cover".

Aggression is determined not only by race, but also by rank. The lower the rank, the higher the aggression. Therefore, all Floaters do not have an aggression rating of 0. Here is a quick list taken from the OSG (pg. 251):

Floater Soldier: 2

Floater Navigator: 2

Floater Medic: 1

Floater Engineer: 1

Floater Leader: 0

Floater Commander: 0

By the way, skill level plays no role in the aggression rating. Aliens do not get more aggressive (or intelligent for that matter) as the skill level of the game is increased. Aggression and Intelligence stats are constants. :P