Firefly

Pete

I'm guessing a lot of you have probably watched this series by now. For various reasons I only got around to rnting it in the past fortnight, and had already seent he movie Serenity.

Two 3-word reviews can best sum up my feelings after watching it:

"Go watch now"

and

"Hate Fox more".

Why do Fox always screw everything up that's ever any good by interfering or cancelling good projects? I had the luxury of watching the series in it's originally intended order, whereas Fox originally aired this completely out of order and missed out three episodesentirely. Since some important plot points flow through the episodes when watched in sequence, I can't think (dripping sarcasm here) why it got lower ratings than they were after. Could it maybe have something to do with the fact that if you don't start at the beginning and air the first episode last it makes no sense whatsoever?

What a bunch of fracktards. For those people who made these awful decisions, I expect your resignations on my desk in the morning.

All that aside, this is possibly the finest sci-fi I've ever watched and it needs to come back in series format.

I feel that after re-watching Serenity there's room for another series in between Firefly and Serenity even, as the last episode of Firefly just sort of ends - dead. You're expecting a cliffhanger or something, but by this point they knew the series was cancelled so certain avenues couldn't be explored.

Serenity did bug me slightly in that they killed a few of the more interesting characters off completely, so I wouldn't even mind if they just put Serenity to one side and made series 2 the way Joss Whedon had originally intended. Sure there'd be less surprises as you'd know where the series was heading at the end of series 2 but I'd still watch it.

Heck, even if they made a second series set after Serenirty, I might just be able to get over the loss of those characters.

Here's a couple more 3 word reviews:

"Needs more series'"

and

"Just not fair".

I will definitely be buying the box set though as it's just too good not to own. If you're like me and never quite gotaround to watching the series and the film, please do so - you won't be disappointed.

Firefly is a great little series. I picked up the box set years ago for an insultingly small amount of money. I had never seen the show, wasn't particularly interested in Whedon's work, the only actor I knew in it was Nathan Fillion (from Slither) but I remember Slaughter mentioned picking it up, and as it was cheap as chips, thought I'd give it a go. Brilliant decision by me, if I may say so.

The decision to show the series out of order in the US is explained by Whedon in the DVD box set. Fox wanted to start the series with a lot of action, and, well, they kicked off with an action-y episode instead of the first episode. It really does numb my skull.

Serenity suffers a little from being just a long episode of the show, but it's still a bloody good film, and God knows how they ever swung the deal to get it made when the show was already (or was about to be) cancelled.

The whole project must have been a fairly difficult pitch from the start. I mean, a space western? I can only imagine the faces pulled when the idea was explained to them. However, the series and the film are quality, you hardly notice the low budget, the action is snappy and exciting, the humorous bits are genuinely funny, the dialogue is of a good standard, there's a general lack of shitness overall and there's no morality tale bullshit.

The decision to kill off certain characters is a good one, I think. Too many people creating media are too scared to kill off characters, but when they are going through dangerous situation after dangerous situation, it's likely that someone will be killed.

Plus Chiwetel Ejiofor kicks arse.

Indeed he does do much arse-kicking in Serenity and he plays an amazing bad guy amazingly well. Going back to Firefly I liked the biounty hunter from the last episode too just for his evilness - here's hoping he didn't just die in space :P

God knows how they ever swung the deal to get it made when the show was already (or was about to be) cancelled.

That one was pretty much down to the fans. The film was made several years later and the show had already been cancelled by at the most the 11th episode from the special features I watched on the series.

Far as I gather the film just about made back the $38million it cost to make on cinema screenings, but following that Universal ran out of the DVD's when it was released on DVD apparently. Not sure how true much of that is, but it sounds about right. So average of $7 (pulled out of thin air by me) on the price of a DVD and they'd be printing hundreds of thousands of them? Even if they only get a portion of that themselves they've made some money off that film.

Unfortunately I also read on t'internet that Universal wanted it to do $80 million in order to consider a sequel. Seriously Universal, just do a series - it'll be cheaper, though you may have trouble getting the rights off Fox who I believe still own the rights to the name (hence why the film ain't called Firefly).

I know I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet, or even half of it, but the above all sounds about right to me.

Check out some of the threads from then the film was first screened in the UK - there's some dedicated fans out there: https://www.cantstopthesignal.co.uk/

Oooh, think this was the thread in particular: https://www.cantstopthesignal.co.uk/forums/...php?topic=441.0

Though I haven't seen the series or the movie, a few months back I saw a hardcover comic called "Serenity: Those Left Behind" at Dark Horse comics that looked interesting (online preview) so I ordered it from Amazon.

Not knowing the characters made things a bit "up in the air" for me, but still a fun read given the general attitude problems of some of the crew :P

Storywise it's supposed to fill in some gaps between the series and the movie, though it's not much lauded for those aspects, being more appreciated for its (mis)adventurous angle.

::

Anyway, I just thought to mention it in case you hadn't caught wind of this. You also might want to have a look at some of the series-related merchandise Dark Horse has available (miniatures, lighter,etc)...

• 4 months later...